Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2018, 01:49:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189431 Posts in 10977 Topics by 18158 Members
Latest Member: rerakefo
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Announcements
| |-+  Main Page News
| | |-+  Gameplay changes test month
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gameplay changes test month  (Read 11684 times)
Crashday
XR Coder

soundcloud.com/bernhardfritz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 11:59:56 pm »

nullifying buffs
maybe worth trying out in a future test week: give underused items like immob and snare the ability to nullify buffs Wink

Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 03:19:05 pm »

nullifying buffs
maybe worth trying out in a future test week: give underused items like immob and snare the ability to nullify buffs Wink

Hmmm! Snare is a little bit underused, yes, but Immobilizers are lifesavers when dealing with a beherush, or even stopping a maraunding Shagroth or two! Snare is a little underused but giving it a buff-dissabilitating feature might do the opposite. When you think of being immobilised or snared is annoying right now, imagine being unable to move AND being buffless! Everybody will start packing those damned things, the factories won't be able to keep up with demand!

SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 04:04:00 pm »

I was pestered by some team mates who wanted the buff, but it was unclear what it actually did and was very short lived, and also

That would be me trying to explain to you what the new skill does Tongue
Tip: You can actually see the weapon's discription when you hover on top of it in the loadout screen.

I agree that it's a little short lived, but it's supposed to encourage teammates to stick around and protect you. By making the energy weapons buff ranged you'll encourage siege camping again, as you can safely buff and attack people from a safe distance, isntead of going forward.

Removing buffs on ranged shot impact might be a little too much gamechanging, as you're basicly nullifying buffs on only one of the opposing sides of the team! I guess you can apply it to both ballista's and summoner shots, but then we'll land on the fact it will only encourage siegecamping more, as staying back and trying to shoot down buffed fighterunits would be a better option that say, actually trying to push towers!

Another take on countering buffs:
Chaplain rays and Shaman protection rays reduce enemy targets buff's efficiency down to 50%.

• This is a way to effecively counter buffs without touching their core essence, or dumbing them down without having healers around. Buffs need to feel special and pack and punch!
  • Gives healers more presense on the battlefield ergo;
  • Gives commanders more incentive to rechearch healing units, which everybody loves
  • Makes sense in lue of shamans and chaplains being supportive units
  • Makes chaplains somewhat more viable early game, as they actually start off with their firebuff-dehancing ability
  • Finally gives healers a (countering) offensive ability, without losing their supportive core
  • Could lead to stalemates as buffs are (or should be used as) tiebreakers
  • Makes shamans camp buildings in case a legionnaire comes by
  • Chaplains still won't help against gates, beast's third "buff" pool

What are your thoughts on this Savagebeard?

Nope, I'm very much against these incremental effects or hidden/hard to percieve effects. It should be very obvious what something does. I.e. either buff vanishes or it doesnt, not a hard-to-appreciate % reduction.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 07:28:40 pm »

The current Summoner is likely going to stay for another week.
The Ballista should receive an overhaul (if real life permits) of its current form during this next week.

After that, ballista and summoner are likely to be reverted and tests will focus on the dreaded Behemoth next.

We also have potential Buff test changes and the Newerth poll winners, Chaos Bolt & Chaplain, coming up.
Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 07:59:15 pm »

@Hakugei

Sweet! Keep it up, if you can  Tongue

Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 10:31:26 am »

I was pestered by some team mates who wanted the buff, but it was unclear what it actually did and was very short lived, and also

That would be me trying to explain to you what the new skill does Tongue
Tip: You can actually see the weapon's discription when you hover on top of it in the loadout screen.

I agree that it's a little short lived, but it's supposed to encourage teammates to stick around and protect you. By making the energy weapons buff ranged you'll encourage siege camping again, as you can safely buff and attack people from a safe distance, isntead of going forward.

Removing buffs on ranged shot impact might be a little too much gamechanging, as you're basicly nullifying buffs on only one of the opposing sides of the team! I guess you can apply it to both ballista's and summoner shots, but then we'll land on the fact it will only encourage siegecamping more, as staying back and trying to shoot down buffed fighterunits would be a better option that say, actually trying to push towers!

Another take on countering buffs:
Chaplain rays and Shaman protection rays reduce enemy targets buff's efficiency down to 50%.

• This is a way to effecively counter buffs without touching their core essence, or dumbing them down without having healers around. Buffs need to feel special and pack and punch!
  • Gives healers more presense on the battlefield ergo;
  • Gives commanders more incentive to rechearch healing units, which everybody loves
  • Makes sense in lue of shamans and chaplains being supportive units
  • Makes chaplains somewhat more viable early game, as they actually start off with their firebuff-dehancing ability
  • Finally gives healers a (countering) offensive ability, without losing their supportive core
  • Could lead to stalemates as buffs are (or should be used as) tiebreakers
  • Makes shamans camp buildings in case a legionnaire comes by
  • Chaplains still won't help against gates, beast's third "buff" pool

What are your thoughts on this Savagebeard?

Nope, I'm very much against these incremental effects or hidden/hard to percieve effects. It should be very obvious what something does. I.e. either buff vanishes or it doesnt, not a hard-to-appreciate % reduction.

Ofcourse any effects or buff reductions should be accompanied by some sort of visual indicator, just like any other feature in the game! This can be done by changing the color, size and shape of any buffs being targeted. Mag buffs de-buffs can be communicated by reducing the number of rings hovering around the unit, adding more transparency and even changing the red hue to have more saturation for instance.

Maybe debuffed units should be given a second indicator to further communicate it's effectiveness is being halved, like also adding the current shaman ray-hit indicator on friendly units to effected enemies aswell. I agree it should always be clear when any effect is active in the visual gameworld, hidden effects are the worst! So you're totally right about that.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:33:45 am by Tjens » Logged

Marbello
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2017, 07:44:43 am »

It takes now 2 bali shots to kill a mudent :/

More meaning!
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2017, 10:35:10 am »

It's going to be reverted tonight. Sorry, I was on holidays and stuff.

SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 09:25:14 pm »

If I can vote I would say that siege not being able to one-hit kill vs. higher levels should be kept in the core game.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 12:43:06 pm »

Thank you for posting.
Feedback like this will help decide which test changes will return and which discarded permanently.
Necrophiliac

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2017, 07:03:58 pm »

Anything that reduces the chances of being killed in one hit is a good thing for the game *cough* electric buff. However, I think they will need to be buffed if this idea goes into action. Just giving them a knock back feature, reducing enemy speed, extra health or more building damage should even out the balance. I didn't play during these test weeks, so I don't know how the changes turned out but from my imagination siege will be pretty shit unless they get something in return.

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 08:52:53 pm »

That is true, if you only flat out nerf siege units, they'd be useless to camp and useless to push out as well.
During the test weeks, they got some things in return - both ballista and summoner had compensations.

Behemoth is the next victim, but even that dreaded unit gets something else in return instead of a flat nerf.

Unfortunately, feedback has been very lacking, so who knows if the compensations properly balanced out the nerf. Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: