Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2018, 05:04:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189321 Posts in 10970 Topics by 18118 Members
Latest Member: farikadol
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Re-balancing Suggestions
| | |-+  More buffs, in both number and variation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: More buffs, in both number and variation  (Read 950 times)
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2017, 06:08:28 pm »

Suggestion by Bullet. Read below in readable font size.

Suggestion: Some simple buff suggestions, applied to different targets than the usual player. I hope that savage can have more variation in buffs (but not in total number of buffs used in a normal game), for the sake of varitiation. I hope that savage can get atleast 3 buff for each tech-tree, and go away from only beeing targetting individuals. I suggest and hope that each tech tree can get:
1 buff for solo players (allready in place for most tech tree, except entrophy)
1 buff for enemy players  ( i know its not a buff, but for the sake of simplicity i call it that now)
1 teamwide buff for your own team.
1 buff for friendly or enemy structures/tech.
1 mapwide buff, affecting both teams in some way.

The more players and gameplay the buffs affect, the weaker they must be, in general, for balancing purposes.

Following is some simple buff suggestions i have ( i know some of them are straightforward bad ideas, but its just brainstorming, to give you devs some food for thought if you were to make more buffs into the game).
Buff 1:
a buff that makes you drop no-gold if killed while buff is active, and any enemy who kill you(with ranged, melee or buffs) are drained instatnly of their personal gold (and it is given to you upon your death). Other buffs cancel the buff.  This buff can work for both races. Its particular interesting to use as humans, demorunning. You got no special powers, but it simply sucks to kill you for any enemy.

Buff 2:
 buff that simply cancel buffs on enemies upon successfull melee hit (beast buff mainly). Newbiefriendly buff, great counter for selfbuffers.

buff 3:
A map-wide buff that makes all npcs go crazy and run towards your teams sh/lair. Great for stealing the gold income of other teams.

buff 4:
Commander can select a specific enemy, and remove half their exp (basically, level that person down ).

buff 5:
Commander selects an enemy player and trigger the buff on him. The buff is active as long as he is alive, and persist even after re-supplying and/or changing gear in loadout menus in spawnpoints. What it does, is basically make his melee weapon useless (does only 1 hp damage on successful hit), and forces him to use ranged weaponry only. Its a great buff for humans to use on beast players, forcing that specific player to keep his distance. The buff should be expensive and be an alternative in a tech tree to other buffs (not solo buff for a tech three).

buff 6. Similar like buff 5, but forces player to use melee weapons only. Ranged weapons doesnt do any damage at all while it is active. Great for beasts against camping humans. Last a lifetime.

buff 7. This is a special one : Corrupted redstone mine. If a commander fear he is about to loose an important redstone mine to the enemy, he can corrupt it - basically making it a bomb, that explodes when mined empty. The damage equals to 4-5 sacrifices, and will damange both friendly and enemy buildings nearby. Use with caution. The other commander cannot see that a redstone mine is corrupted. It is very expensive, in terms of pool usage. Can only be cast on redstone mines which are close to your own buildings ( you cannot target a redstone mine in the base of the enemy, to illustrate this).

buff 8. Blood smelling animals. All NPC's on the map will instantly start to attack nearby enemies (if withing a certain radius of the npc). Great for pissing of the other team, and distract the enemy in the combat. (in terms of the lore of savage, this buff belongs to the beast team - could possibly be a nice, cheaper alternative than the gate, in the entrohpy tech tree?)

buff 9. Mark a group of animals, and use buff on them. They wont respawn in 3 minutes, after killed. Great for goldstarving the other team. OP on small maps, must be expensive to use (not just buff pool to use it - maybe some money required aswell?)

buff 10. Target a friendly structure. Simply doubles the range of the friendly structure (only works on defensive buildings such as towers and spires).

buff 11. Target a enemy defensive building. The enemy defensive building will, while the buff is active, only target siege units, but not only your teams siege unit, also siege camping players which are, in theory, friendly to the tower initially, but during buff it targets all siege unites. This is great for dealing with siege campers on the other team, and very helpful for your team offensively

buff 12. Target enemy spawnpoint/spawn structure. While active, anyone trying to spawn will be sent back to loadout menu and get 5 seconds to their respawn timer. The buff last only 5 seconds, and is medium expensive to use. Cannot be used on sh/lair.

buff 13. Creates a portal, which allies and enemies can go trough, but no siege units can enter. Much like gate, minus entrance for siege units. Call it a cheap and downgraded gate, if you wish. HP decays over time, self destruct in 90 seconds, regardless of HP.

PS. I hope other people can post their buff suggestions aswell, if they have any.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:10:20 pm by Daemon » Logged

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 06:12:16 pm »

Stuff that i think we should do our best to avoid:
1. More buffs
2. Debuffs
3. Doubling existing mechanics
4. Useless stuff (like the altars/caches.)

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 06:24:21 pm »

Damn, what if we made caches/altars give off some smallish or fun buffs/effects to players around them. Say one offensive and one defensive for each tech type.

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:15:35 pm »

Stuff that i think we should do our best to avoid:
1. More buffs
2. Debuffs
3. Doubling existing mechanics

Make no mistake (im not sure if you understood it correctly), I do not mean more buffs in the sense of more buff usage (3x elec buffs instead of one...), I mean more variation of buffs to choose from within techtrees, with different sizes of target(buff X, Buff Y and Buff Z for a tech three, taking resources from the same pool, hence, a bigger and more diverse selection of buffs, but not more buffs in the gameplay than usual).

Regarding doubling of existing mechanichs I agree, I assume you was pointing this out as a general guideline for new buffs to be innovative, and not relay on something that is allready there (for example: a beast buff that heals the siege unit is pretty lame....).
However, I would like to point out that  *Rolleyes * there is allready some certain buildings which does use this concept (the upgraded outpost is strangely similar to garrison and a shield tower)  Wink

Useless stuff is too generic, not worth commenting.

Damn, what if we made caches/altars give off some smallish or fun buffs/effects to players around them. Say one offensive and one defensive for each tech type.
Well, I encourage you or anyone else to come up with some buff ideas then, preferably not targetting soloplayers like the current buffs do. Later we can discuss which buff ideas we think are good, bad, funny or just total crap (like most of them are, when everyone have had their say)

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 07:42:37 pm »

Due to the reviving discussion in the healer thread, it brought up the idea of a commander-based revive buff.
It could cost existing buff resources, or the healer tech line could add a new buff resource to the mix.

Just dropping the idea here, as it seems to fit in.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: