Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 12:07:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188539 Posts in 10878 Topics by 17916 Members
Latest Member: Defwish
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Support Forum
| | |-+  Rebinding the console key
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rebinding the console key  (Read 319 times)
KingKong_

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2017, 12:02:00 pm »

Is it possible to rebind the toggle console key? There is no tilde-key on my non-english keyboard. I either have to switch to English mode (and back out, and back in and back out) to use a console command, or use the almost as inconvenient intended way to access the character on this keyboard.

This starts to get annoying after a decade or so, so I thought I'd rebind the toggle console command, but couldn't find what that command is actually called, if it even is rebindable.

A related bug: if you unbind wheel up and wheel down (by default used for next and previous item), those get rebinded every time you relaunch the game. One can get around this by placing the unbind command in what ever that file was that gets executed every time you launch the game.

drk
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 12:37:55 pm »

Ctrl+C-V  bind ~  into console and watch what is says.
Then try to rebind that output to the other key.

KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 12:54:17 pm »

Ctrl+C-V  bind ~  into console and watch what is says.
Then try to rebind that output to the other key.

Tried, I actually can't do this, for some reason

bind ~  gets replaced with bind " when pasted in the console. And of course ~ can't be typed into the console either, as that closes the console. Also can't do it from in game chat with /
Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 12:56:44 pm »

im using a non -english keyboard aswell.

They way i open console is a bit cumbersome (but it works after some tries):

Space + AltGr + whatever the button with got these signs:  ^ ~  are  called (just to the left of my enter button)

I have never binded it to that, so maybe that works for you too?

Of course, i dont know if that will work with your keyboard , but whatever gives, goes  Smiley

KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 01:06:48 pm »

@Bullet, yeah that's the almost as inconvenient method I was referring to. By using this method the game will believe Space is pressed down while I'm in the console, which will mess up camera location in the map editor.

KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 01:18:42 pm »

Check out /consolekeys

So there's three keys

~
` (which would have the same problem as ~, but doesn't even seem to work in map editor)
(seriously, does a keyboard somewhere have a key for this?)

I suppose the least inconvenient way to access console is to use ALT code (only on Windows), ALT + 0178 gives , and this works to open the console

edit:

alt code is a bad method as well, as holding alt doesn't stop the activation of binds on numpad in the map editor. will have to look for some keyboard rebinding software or something to fix this.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 01:41:37 pm by KingKong_ » Logged
drk
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 01:50:47 pm »

"If nothing helps" I can suggest a very simple way to try to remap your key with, for example ahk script:
https://autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm
Code:
~::F12
It helped me a lot to remap and automate simple actions for the other games in the past.

KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 01:57:33 pm »

"If nothing helps" I can suggest a very simple way to try to remap your key with, for example ahk script:
https://autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm
Code:
~::F12
It helped me a lot to remap and automate simple actions for the other games in the past.

Yeah, I'll do this. Thanks.
drk
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 05:19:09 pm »

So, there is a command: consolekeys.
If you run "consolekeys k" k will be your console button. To switch it back from the K you need to do the same "consolekeys (and press old button there - it will show ' )"

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: