Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 17, 2018, 03:18:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188722 Posts in 10898 Topics by 17973 Members
Latest Member: Rudders
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Mapping & Modding Forum
| | |-+  Savage HD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Savage HD  (Read 2222 times)
Natsu

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:07:31 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kd6RsZ_eK0

Jan 3, 2017

What's new in Natsu's graphics pack? HD particles and wiser application of flares, delays, and other particle programming.

I need a few code changes in the particle graphics system to improve upon what's here.

*  Higher emitter maximum (32-64) per effect, to support more complex and vibrant effects utilizing different particle shapes and trajectories. This is a single constant variable in the code and should be no work to change.

*  Bug fix for the inconsistency in heights emitters are fired from when +parent_pos flag is set. You can see this problem most visibly on the elec and fire buffs.

*  Bug fix for continuous beams. I tried to replace surge and flux's beams with trail effects. This means patching the .object Continuous to 0 on clients in my pack. The result effect is still not displayed when playing on a public server, indicating the server must override this .object setting. (When testing the weapons on /devworld with Continuous=0, the new effects are visible.)
Stringer
The guy who doesn't know anything
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 08:22:03 am »

What kind of settings does it have?
Can I keep the discharger, repeater and burning buildings effects and disable everything else?

Be wise
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 08:26:24 am »

What kind of settings does it have?
Can I keep the discharger, repeater and burning buildings effects and disable everything else?

You want repeater trails to block everything you see?

Stringer
The guy who doesn't know anything
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 08:59:47 am »

Nah I want a clear indication of who is shooting who

Be wise
SOMA

If you can't convince them, confuse them!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 09:59:10 am »

good, but i don't feel that some of new things you made will help a lot while playing.
this elec look ok but its too much elec arround human which didn't help him enough to see what your is hitting.
same thing for Repeater, i didn't like it at all, if you have 5-10 players pushing with repeaters im sure that no one can see what they are targeting.
i noticed that demo is look too high than standard one, its look ok but what is the point for make it higher.
summ effect so annoying for human side.
tempest discharger blazer are fine.

Shagroth
no u
Newerth Council
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 04:50:18 pm »

Cool stuff.

I like the new anims on weapons

things i really like

• less useless explotions on siege weapons
  • less useless explotion on rupture

However, is this fair towards people who do not use it?(ethical?)
Anyhow I'll use it, one of the main reasons being to get rid of the horribly useless siege explosions savage has.

funny with 480p with hd title in this age, good showcase anyway.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 06:22:47 pm »

However, is this fair towards people who do not use it?(ethical?)

2. The alternate effects/models/icons/graphics have to make sure the user is not getting an unfair advantage from using them. Every graphic element getting replaced must attempt to preserve the original effects characteristics as closely as possible, particularly the physical boundaries, duration etc.

For instance, the green smoke of the democharge raises higher than the default one.

Unfair stuff (like repeater showing who's shooting who or super high demo smoke making it more easy to be spotted) would have to be fixed in order for the mod to be included in XR.

In order to evaluate and add to XR's mod selector valid graphical or cosmetic mods that are viable both technically and artistically, they need to meed the following criteria:
1) they improve the current aspect of the game by way of models, textures, effects, sounds or 2D graphics.
2) they do not unnecessarily reduce FPS and game performance with little or no gain.
3) they don't contain any hacks or 'improvements' that are considered illegal.
4) they don't have any balance changes whatsoever (scripts, objects, states etc).
5) don't offer unfair advantages for those that use the alternate effects/models/icons/graphics over those with standard assets.

Crashday
XR Coder

soundcloud.com/bernhardfritz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 08:05:45 pm »

i really liked the particles following ember (https://youtu.be/9Kd6RsZ_eK0?t=2m1s).
imagine how awesome it would look if a dynamic spot light would follow the ember projectile and lighten up the terrain underneath it (similar to this: https://youtu.be/8-_GXnkUJCw)

Natsu

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 03:25:19 am »

Daemon, the Newerth team has had years to make its own special effects. The interest simply wasn't there. But now that mine exists, people want to have a say-so in how the game looks. So let's get real. S2Games forte was not special effects, and it's backwards to expect new QUALITY graphics to be consistent with their shoddy work. You wouldn't know how frenzy or repeater kills FPS if my graphics pack thread didn't spell it out.

The desire to keep things perfectly consistent~, like demo smoke height, which is only one variable in one emitter, is a waste of productive time because there's important work to do. Models need to be retextured, buildings and props need meshwork, and graphics code needs fixing. And for those of you who noticed the repeater beam blinding you, I had the same feeling but oops I didn't act on it (yet). I'm still absorbing how everything looks myself. I'm also not on a high-end machine to record a 1040p video.

If I were Newerth, I would stop wasting time being a bureaucracy, which isn't attracting donor money, and give server administrators (or even voters) the cvars to make gameplay decisions themselves. That way, gameplay rules don't become political footballs to disagree over. In the same retrospect, new graphics shouldn't be a political issue. Newerth has no reason to preserve S2's graphics, except to drive off donors and new players. And as I've said before, I wouldn't mind if Newerth built its own graphics out of mine, or changed things like demo smoke height. That's not the issue. This whole "alternate graphics mode" crap is the issue. It's a waste of time making new players navigate a menu to get graphics that aren't crap. Just delete what's old.

Crashday, I can dynamically light the ground under projectiles as they travel with a single emitter. It's easy. I think your idea would add a lot to the graphics, and I'm itching to try it out. Emitters can't (yet) brighten the ground relative to how close the projectile is. I need to code that. This is the kind of post Newerth needs to see, because it's a real consumer opinion. Thank you for posting.

Newerth had better let me into the code, because it sounds like they can't even get their own programmers to do anything, and Newerth stands to gain *plenty* from having new graphics.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: