Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2017, 01:13:46 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188528 Posts in 10877 Topics by 17914 Members
Latest Member: Afriken
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Server Forum
| | |-+  Selfubffing on Server (G&G or GK)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Selfubffing on Server (G&G or GK)  (Read 4333 times)
^.#Tasty
Doomed Noob
Clan Representative

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:31:08 am »

Hey guys,

please discuss with us about selfbuffing and share your opinion.

http://server.groentjuh.eu/viewtopic.php?t=682

Tasty

Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:43:19 pm »

My contribution:

When a commander takes the seat buffs are automatically set on officers only, so unless a commander - in all his wisdom and expertise - enables autobuffs for all players on the field it's gonna be disabled anyway.

As English slug said, when the commanders goes afk, sets buffs auto on all players and leaves to have a wank-a-marathon or something the team can always decide to elect a new commander that knows how to give away officer flags.

Not so much a server-side discussion in my opinion.

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 05:40:14 pm »

Stronly disagree with locking buffs on officers only. not good for player freedom and is not encouraging for new players and new comms. Vets will wreck more, newbies will be farmed more.

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 05:45:47 pm »

Hey there,

thanks first for sharing the topic from Groentjuhs forums here Tasty.

As discussion splits up, I'm posting my thoughts about it here too:

I for my part think we should set it back to how it used to be:

Pros:
- Makes commanding harder again
- The amount of wasted buffs are reduced
- Trolls can not randomly waste them anymore
- Allowing officers to sac on their own hand as most officers are good players
- Less rage against players
- Matches might be not as stalemate as some are now

Cons:
- If the commander doesn't buff you might be helpless in some situations
- More rage against comms

If I remember it correctly, commanders are still able to change it to their own will. It's just affects the game when there's no comm around. I can be wrong of course and am not 100 % about it. Maybe some serveradmin can give a more detailed comment than me.

KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 01:40:57 pm »

An easy solution to remove the vast majority of buff vasting:

Announce every self-buff at the top left corner, where kills & such are logged. People will be much less inclined to use trolling 1v1 elecs and scavenger heals to prevent a death when they get attention doing it.
Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 03:03:43 pm »

An easy solution to remove the vast majority of buff vasting:

Announce every self-buff at the top left corner, where kills & such are logged. People will be much less inclined to use trolling 1v1 elecs and scavenger heals to prevent a death when they get attention doing it.

this is the best thing ever and why issent it a thing yet

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 03:51:41 pm »

I dont think public shaming for buff wasting in the kill-log section is the solution. The best thing imho would be if commanders could deny buffs for individual players. This would be rather useful tool, and a quite useful tool for commanders to deal with individual buff wasters on the team.

KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 04:29:52 pm »

I wouldn't call it shaming but openness. In addition to reducing selfish and trollish buffing, it also lets the team know who the people using the buffs are. So this also fixes the problem of someone burning away the buff pool just out of spite (it will be noticed and the player can be kicked) , and would work well also with the feature you suggest. Coms need to who are wasting buffs before they could deny buffs to them.

If one is going to dip into the team's buff pool, they should be able to say when asked why they did it. If they can't do that, they should leave the buff pool alone. The more I think about this idea, the more I like it. It would promote team-play without any drawbacks that I can think of.
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 06:43:29 pm »

Well if the guys on the receiving end of the buffing (=the enemy) doesn't see it it's pointless. They're the ones whining about getting 1 on 1 buffs or the sorts. And you can't give the enemy such info like when the buff pool just got used up.

Anyway, people not able to live with being elec'ed or whatnot, are the ones whose egos need a proper trimming. That's all.

Stringer
The guy who doesn't know anything
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 07:06:36 pm »

Anyway, people not able to live with being elec'ed or whatnot, are the ones whose egos need a proper trimming.
Ouch.

Be wise
KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 08:00:30 pm »

Well if the guys on the receiving end of the buffing (=the enemy) doesn't see it it's pointless.

I don't understand this. The enemy seeing it would infact be pointless. It's the buffer's team that would benefit from seeing it, as they're the ones a bad buff hurts and they're the ones that would be relied on to give the peer pressure that stops bad buffs.

And you can't give the enemy such info like when the buff pool just got used up.

I didn't think of this and you are correct. But you already provided the solution to this: let only the buffer's team see the notification.

Anyway, people not able to live with being elec'ed or whatnot, are the ones whose egos need a proper trimming. That's all.

I guess I'll have to reply to this. I've never complained about 1v1 buffs used against me. I really don't care about stats at all. I would play only as XR_FirstTimePlayer if JmZ would stop "busting" me when I do it. When I say I don't like attention and I don't like to be remembered, I'm putting it very lightly. The points I make have nothing to do with my ego or personality or anything related to me. It's simply a simple solution the problem this topic was created to discuss. It's not a problem I personally care about all that much, I just generally like to be helpful so I saw no reason not to post a solution when one came to mind.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:08:47 pm by KingKong_ » Logged
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 08:47:43 pm »

It's not about ego or stats it's just not FUN to have a buff used against you in a 1v1. When you reach a certain skill level people will not bother to fight you fair they will buff vs you every time. Sometimes in Leet US the matches are so small that you can pretty much always use a buff if you want. Fighting vs buffs all the time is simply not FUN, and FUN is why we play this in the first place.

PS: the buff system was balanced for large games, not 5v5. There are too many buffs in small games, and on top of it being less fun it favors the human team. I've requested an adjustment to this but nothing came of it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:50:38 pm by jazzking » Logged

Ale

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 09:23:09 pm »

I think what KingKong is suggesting was implemented before. Can't remember if it worked though.

Daemon is right, you can't let the enemy team know if a buff was just used or not, but at least your own team could be notified.

Another thing is, if you see it coming, you can counter buffs. If you are in a 5on5 and there's a specific player continuously pulling lame selfbuffs, be smart, adapt!
Assuming he's a human player, start with Surge or Rupture to steal some of his hp from the distance, switch to snare and blaze when he comes closer and finally behe spawn in his face when he eventually arrives at your base/spawnpoint. Do that a few times and he will either leave the server or rethink his behavior. Used to work on Hwoa though.

For me at least, lame buffing enemies are more of a challenge than a funkiller.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:36:32 pm by Ale » Logged
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 09:31:58 pm »

It's not about ego or stats it's just not FUN to have a buff used against you in a 1v1. When you reach a certain skill level people will not bother to fight you fair they will buff vs you every time.

Yes, when you reach a certain level, you feel entitled to get buffs and frustrated to be buffed against. But see, players that did not reach a certain level shouldn't get buffs at all! Neither those in your team, and waste them, nor those in the opposing team, cuz it's annoying.

Welcome to Savage. A discriminatory game which top gun veterans want to reshape in a way that it suits them even more! Hey, fun is for everyone, not just players that reached a certain skill level!

Obviously, i cannot influence Groen's server settings, this is just hypothetically speaking.

KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 10:11:28 pm »

This isn't a veterans vs new players issue. Because firstly, there are no new players, only new accounts. And secondly, it doesn't take veteran skills to kill workers with a mag buff or hit buildings with elec. Thirdly, it's not being new that leads to buff wasting, it's being selfish or simply wanting to annoy people. I don't think it's about who uses the buffs, but about what purpose they are used for.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: