Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 02:05:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188623 Posts in 10884 Topics by 17943 Members
Latest Member: Yustus123321
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Server Forum
| | |-+  What is allowed in terms of scripts?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is allowed in terms of scripts?  (Read 1026 times)
Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2015, 05:19:52 pm »

Hey. I just started learning python at university. So i wondered, since savage got some python features, what kind of scripts is not allowed to make/use?

I know the rules on G & G says "players are not allowed to run scripts & codes as long as they dont directly or indirectly affect server performance". But what kind of scripts does this, and what does not? Secondly, these rules apply to G & G, but do they apply to the rest of the servers, or in general ? (NSL, PuG cup etc., the list goes on)

I've also heard the python scripts, atleast for the server, is disable on G & G, does this make it impossible to make functioning, legal clientside scripts with python?

Would love some information regarding this, since i'd enjoy doing some real practive with python in a real game (i'm still big newbie in terms of coding pythong  Tongue )

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:54:06 am »

If you haven't coded at all, python scrips for this game might not be easy because the api is a little wonky. But basically it's ok to write a script that makes your life easier, but it's not ok to write a script that enables you to do things beyond normal human capability.

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 02:06:55 pm »

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I assume normal human reasoning is the main guideline for what's allowed and what is not  Police

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 05:20:26 pm »

Yeah. Common sense. A thing missing in so many people, i don't know why they call it common Smiley.

Bullet
Python enthusiast
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 06:16:44 pm »

Common sense. A thing missing in so many people, i don't know why they call it common Smiley.
Grin

Groentjuh
Newerth Serveradmin, German Mirror and Webdeveloper
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 09:58:25 pm »

Basically if I hurt the game experience with it, then don't run them. I remember someone having scripted that he changed icon like 10 times a second to animate his icon. That is fun to do, but really really lagged out players whose connection could like download 10 icons/second.

As long as I and other will not notice you having that chat, I will not mind it. As for disabling scripting, I cannot do so.

On match servers other rules may apply. It's up to the tournament rules to handle scripting issues then. I suggest not running any additional scripts when doing tournament CWs/duels etc etc...

Before adding any of my IMs, ask yourself: Can I ask it in a PM?
Before sending me a PM with questions, Search the forums!
Wanna be ref? Post on my Server Forum
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: