Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 21, 2018, 03:17:24 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189121 Posts in 10953 Topics by 18018 Members
Latest Member: kurago
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Mapping & Modding Forum
| | |-+  "Redstone MINER"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Redstone MINER"  (Read 17865 times)
Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2015, 08:23:18 pm »

DAEMON! I have an excellent idea and I thought of it all by myself. WHAT IF we model a sawmill after a redstone with some kind of device on it and call it a "REDSTONE MINER"

Today I saw a new player (A NOOB) ask for what the sawmills do! So maybe get the sawmill concept into the confines of vanilla Savage!! Allot of popular frenzymaps like xr_phoe use the sawmill and people seem to like it more than the concept of powermining.

If would not take hell of a lot to model I guess you can use some kind of human building as the device on top of it!

Included is original artwork of the design I made. Think about it. (oh and it was mefix's idea)[/

* redstoneminer.png (180.17 KB, 762x435 - viewed 241 times.)

Crashday
XR Coder

soundcloud.com/bernhardfritz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 08:27:25 pm »

Afro

-LioN-
Newerth Shoutcaster
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:31:57 pm »

Is this a different model of the sawmill, or a different structure?
I didn't get how this thing works.

Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:47:46 pm »

It should be a different stucture than the sawmill since it's already used in allot of maps.

But since the sawmill is already an established building in savage make it have the same stats and fuction!

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:20:35 pm »

You mean like this?

Suggested by: Daemon

The re-balancing suggestion:
1. The precise change you wanna see done, including exact values and item/unit names etc.
The introduction of tier 2 and 3 mining units and buildings:

Tier 2: a new, worker-type, AI controlled foot unit; a better fighter, a little faster and/or carrying more stone.
 Cost: 75 RS. Health: 150% of a Worker; Damage: 150% of a Worker; Speed: 125% of a worker; Stone: 100 / trip.

Tier 3: an unmanned, extractor type building, built on top of mines, in range of garrs, mining at a steady rate.
 Cost: 500 RS. Health: Similar to Arsenal; Mining rate: about the average rate of 3 workers on a given time unit.

Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:01 pm »

Yeah, something like that but make it more for the mappers. You can just copy the sawmill properties, merge a redstone and a tower model and add it into a small update.

You encounter allot of resistance when you change things gameplay wise but with just adding another model into the editor people can use if for new map (content) while still having the "integrity" of savage remain.

Also like I said, these frenzy maps seem to be popular right now(adays?) becouse of the absence of powerming - getting straight into the action.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:43:10 pm by Tjens » Logged

KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 02:31:49 pm »

One problem in some maps is that endless stone (sawmills) make for endless games, a version of sawmill that actually runs out of stone would make for interesting maps. Capturing it from the enemy would be a much higher priority. Also similar building for gold could be interesting.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 02:35:03 pm by KingKong_ » Logged
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 02:35:30 pm »

One problem in some maps is that endless stone (sawmills) make for endless games, a version of sawmill that actually runs out of stone would make for interesting maps. Capturing it from the enemy would be a much higher priority.

I like that. How about make it map-maker adjustable, like minerals?

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 04:42:08 pm »

Sawmills is one thing - you get to fight for those. Auto-mines are something that makes XR look too much like Savage 2, where attacking workers in order to damage the enemy economy is not a thing anymore.

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 04:50:57 pm »

True enough. I do think the sawmill model would look cool with some minerals under it. It would clarify the meaning to noobs. Limiting it's capacity also makes sense in some map contexts.

Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 07:28:03 pm »

I get your dirft Daemon but consider the following points:

• Powermining is crucial for winning games, but it's also one of the least fun things to do in Savage, ergo:
  • Sawmills have been used in allot of maps that are gaining in popularity - for example the 4 team frenzy maps. I kinda get it, sometimes you just want to have instant action and not worry too much about looking at a redstone mine for 5 minutes
  • Like you said, one of the major drawbacks of the sawmill is the fact that it is infitite, wich makes for games having what I call the ts_farwest syndrom. Having a finite sawmill that looks like it belongs into Savage and not some wild west action game can combat this!
  • You're not changing the core concept of Savage by giving mappers the option to use an improved, customisable sawmill on new maps . You might just give the people what they want!

Included an improved design!!!

* redstoneminer1.png (208.91 KB, 804x430 - viewed 201 times.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:30:47 pm by Tjens » Logged

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 07:37:50 pm »

I always enjoy pmining. I can read and participate in the chat, go warm my hands under hot water, make a coffee, or check newerth.com.

Simply turn on autoattack, and set up a backwards walk by starting a chat ("T"?) before letting go of the "s" key. With proper precision, wham bam infinimine!

Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 07:52:52 pm »

You can still powermine on any other Savage map!  Just Mining Da Stone

H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 07:58:10 pm »

I wouldn't mind having pmining removed from the game. I could also live with pmining being the last ressort when being out of stone, because mining with a redstone miner or workers would be much faster. Without pmining we could actually enjoy some nice early game.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:01:25 pm by H3027 » Logged

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 08:14:38 pm »

I'm not asking anyone to re-design Savage lol i'm just asking for a new sawmill model (with finite recources like kingkong mentioned)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: