Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2017, 09:52:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188529 Posts in 10877 Topics by 17915 Members
Latest Member: nguyenphat
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Server Forum
| | |-+  nicklaming XR_FirstTimePlayer should be valid for a kick
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: nicklaming XR_FirstTimePlayer should be valid for a kick  (Read 2991 times)
Haika
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:46:21 pm »

I want some discussion around this.
first of all, nicklaming is fine, it is no crime, we all have nicklamed once upon a time, and we are still living and breathing outside of jail.
HOWEVER, nicklaming XR_FirstTimePlayer is imo the lamest thing ever to do on savage. When i see them firsttimers, i usually dont go for them cuz i will pwn em, unless they go for me first. I think alot of others think the same. Iconless firsttimeplayers are just wandering around with their incarnator sniping spires or whatever, they are in the "educational" prosess of the game.
Therefore find it so insanely lame for people to nicklame them, or atleast without an icon(with icon its obvious that they r better). This happens alot latley, and im confused now who is a firsttimeplayer and who isnt.

the name is to indicate they r nubs, so why should it b allowed to play with this nick if u r a pro with sadist on full server?
It makes people not go easy on the nubs with the same nick and is unwelcoming to new players.

am i the only one who thinks like this? imo it shouldnt b allowed and a valid kickreason. be my guest and nicklame whatever thing u want other than it.
APirateHat
XR Advertiser

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 01:18:27 pm »

So if there is a new player with a name you would give him no chance?

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:53:40 pm »

I agree with Haika. Keep in mind that votekicking pro XR_FirstTimePlayers is already allowed, it's just not enforceable for refs.

I have noticed that XR_FirstTimePlayers are actually really good often enough that my mental map of (name -> skill)  I use in game places XR_FirstTimePlayer higher than many other names, at least if they are using the legio unit. Almost all real noobs give it away fast because they use nomad and something other than flux or coil. If someone pro is using XR name and nomad, well, they are handicapping themselves so I don't mind so much.

I'm not sure what your complaint is, APH, he is not saying we should kick actual nubs.

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 07:11:44 pm »

Alternatively, refs could also be permitted to rename pro "FirstTimePlayer"s themselves.
ref rename <player> <newname>

A lot less harmful than a kick, yet solves the problem just the same.
(If said FirstTimePlayer changes back, you can still consider a kick. Wink )

Or maybe you can even go a step further and have server triggers rename FirstTimePlayers that have a way too good score.
(Or even just hardcode it as well...)
Nightmare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:15:31 pm »

Not sure what any of these solutions would do.  The aliases will just take 5 seconds to /name HerpDerp and avoid the issue.
APirateHat
XR Advertiser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 08:36:25 pm »

@Jazzking Not about the kick but Haika said he tries and be nicer to newbies when he sees they have the XR_FirstTimePlayer name, but there are newbies who know how to change name, so he just kills them off like any other player?

This is all up to the server owners which rules they decide for but personally I think it's pretty stupid that you can't decide to have whatever name you would like, even if it is the default one. I understand it with offensive names but for something like this?

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 09:13:45 pm »

Not sure what any of these solutions would do.  The aliases will just take 5 seconds to /name HerpDerp and avoid the issue.
The "issue" is that nicklamers are using "XR_FirstTimePlayer" - if they rename themselves to something else, there is no issue anymore anyway. Wink
"Aliases" are not a problem.

Please re-read the thread, Nightmare.
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:45:05 pm »

Haika is right. Nicklaming as XR_FirstTimePlayer should be a kick-on-sight situation. Being a proven haxor shouldn't.

Gridfon
Righteous Scarecrow
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 12:44:40 am »

So if there is a new player with a name you would give him no chance?
Haika said he tries and be nicer to newbies when he sees they have the XR_FirstTimePlayer name, but there are newbies who know how to change name, so he just kills them off like any other player?
I agree with APH. It's not the name that matters, no. It is the weird/primitive/clumsy in-game behavioral pattern that reveals whether the particular player is a newbie. Any veteran is generally capable of recognizing the newbie behavior in an instant.

You would say - oh, but in the heat of battle, I actually find it hard to spot that one of the 5 nomads standing still and fluxing my pred is a newbie. Well, but neither you will mouse over all of their models to read everyone's name... Especially if you're in a 4v1 kind of situation; most often you'll just jump in and slaughter them. And only then notice that three of the four people were newbs.

And let's admit it, the vast majority of players here would not care less if that XR_FirstTimePlayer is a real newbie or not, as long as he or she can be farmed. The main thing that enrages the veteran players is when the newbie suddenly starts to whore with 1v1 buffs. Elec buff for an instant kill, mag buff to safely finish you off with flux, or even a chem buff to chase you down when you're running away with low hp. The main trolling effect here is that the veteran player's thinking goes from "oh, an easy frag for me" to "sigh, he buffed against me". Well, life is tough... So is Savage. Wink
Stringer
The guy who doesn't know anything
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 06:54:15 pm »

There is no need to even look at the name to recognize a newbie.

Anyone who is even half-good can tell at a glance whenever the other player is a complete noob or not, simply by the way said player moves, looks around and shoots.

Too much fuss over nothing.

Be wise
Ophelia
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 09:57:45 pm »

Haika is right. Nicklaming as XR_FirstTimePlayer should be a kick-on-sight situation. Being a proven haxor shouldn't.

...seriously, I know right?  I totally agree!!!!
Haika
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 09:28:54 pm »

Where is all the fuss please tell me.

I see alot of you guys are talking about a perfect-scenario all the time. It seems to you that you play the little to understand the other things than the black-white hardcoding of the game. Let me try help you out by showing my mentality and maybe it will be easier to see where the issue is.

Whenever i log into savage and join a server i press "play" in spec to see who is controlling most of the minimap.
Then i "esc" back to see whatever team has the better players(or look in tab), to join/not join the team with lesser players if they are in the need of help.(in the startgame when everyone has 0 0 score, how can u tell that one is nicklaming, alteast with another alias it looks like they r stronger).

Then i want to skip out in the actual gameplay, and please save me for the bullshit that you can instaspot every noob by its movement. Its not like they are jerking off or juggling with disrupters. They press WASD and use their mouse on the same basis as any other player, of course you have the ppl who has never touched a computer that stants still and hunterbows texture; But this is not applied to every godamn nub.

APH esp you raising questionmarks on the ppl who tried to play this game and that left simply cuz the time to adapt is too long. Wouldnt it be better with the players likes of me that tries to give them an easier time?

And
Insert Quote
Quote from: Daemon on October 22, 2014, 09:45:05 pm

Not kick on sight, kick if no ref is there and he refuses to change name.
Refs changing these names is also simple fix to simple problem and they get warning if they change it back.
But trust me it will improve the community somewhat. And this is something i know for a fact as a player, and i would be that ignorant to say i have a better clue about it as an somewhat active player/fairplayer, than the inactive newerth admins.

and turn off the godamn chick-ears, stating facts and discussion is not always equal to drama, if so it is your own mind that choses to see it as such.

EDIT:
Alternatively, refs could also be permitted to rename pro "FirstTimePlayer"s themselves.
ref rename <player> <newname>

A lot less harmful than a kick, yet solves the problem just the same.
(If said FirstTimePlayer changes back, you can still consider a kick. Wink )

Hakugei got the simple answer to my smiple question. Another thumbs up for Clemens
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 09:36:28 pm by Haika » Logged
Haika
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 09:33:35 pm »

And let's admit it, the vast majority of players here would not care less if that XR_FirstTimePlayer is a real newbie or not, as long as he or she can be farmed. The main thing that enrages the veteran players is when the newbie suddenly starts to whore with 1v1 buffs. Elec buff for an instant kill, mag buff to safely finish you off with flux, or even a chem buff to chase you down when you're running away with low hp. The main trolling effect here is that the veteran player's thinking goes from "oh, an easy frag for me" to "sigh, he buffed against me". Well, life is tough... So is Savage. Wink

(sorry for the double post)

Gridfon r u for real? Im agains lame plays that increases the individual players stats but decreases the chance for the team to win. This is something that i feel for any player, noob or pro. I often tell the opposite or my own comm if i see some officer wasting buffs. This thread is something i wanted discussion not fuss about.
Gridfon
Righteous Scarecrow
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 07:18:30 am »

Let me try help you out by showing my mentality and maybe it will be easier to see where the issue is.

Whenever i log into savage and join a server i press "play" in spec to see who is controlling most of the minimap.
Then i "esc" back to see whatever team has the better players(or look in tab), to join/not join the team with lesser players if they are in the need of help.(in the startgame when everyone has 0 0 score, how can u tell that one is nicklaming, alteast with another alias it looks like they r stronger).
I have always been doing it the same way. Afro Not because of the newbs, though. The motto is "no challenge - no fun". Somehow, though, over the past several years it resulted in a situation that I mostly play in T2...

APH esp you raising questionmarks on the ppl who tried to play this game and that left simply cuz the time to adapt is too long. Wouldnt it be better with the players likes of me that tries to give them an easier time?
It matters nothing; the big picture remains the same. You're one of the very few players that declare the intention to not farm newbies (and it is by definition questionable whether you succeed to live up to your ideas yourself). If your goal is to convince more people to follow the same guidelines, then a suggestion to rename/kick XR_FirstTimePlayers is irrelevant to your goal. At this point the suggestion is basically intended to cater to your own playstyle/mindset, however noble it might be.

In contrast, I claim that for most other people the suggested change will merely result in an increased confidence that all newbies can be safely farmed:
And let's admit it, the vast majority of players here would not care less if that XR_FirstTimePlayer is a real newbie or not, as long as he or she can be farmed. The main thing that enrages the veteran players is when the newbie suddenly starts to whore with 1v1 buffs. Elec buff for an instant kill, mag buff to safely finish you off with flux, or even a chem buff to chase you down when you're running away with low hp. The main trolling effect here is that the veteran player's thinking goes from "oh, an easy frag for me" to "sigh, he buffed against me".
If the XR_FirstTimePlayer suddenly fights back like a real veteran, they go to ref and ask to rename/kick the newbie. How convenient.

Not kick on sight, kick if no ref is there and he refuses to change name.
Refs changing these names is also simple fix to simple problem and they get warning if they change it back.
Do you really want to give refs more responsibility and hence less accountability? Do you really think refs are capable of enforcing this (unless we speak about the ideal refs in a vacuum, as we often prefer to do). How often do see kick votes passing when they are called against the real offenders? What's the point?...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:20:43 am by Gridfon » Logged
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 03:08:18 pm »

Haika: keep in mind that you can see pressing "tab" if an XR is adding to the stack by their score.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: