Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2018, 06:35:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188984 Posts in 10936 Topics by 18014 Members
Latest Member: Edson Maes
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Re-balancing Suggestions
| | |-+  2nd generation changes
| | | |-+  Introducing the Outpost and the Burrow
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Introducing the Outpost and the Burrow  (Read 3562 times)
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2014, 08:39:19 pm »

Although they have been around for 2 years in Evolution, there are many players that don't know what these 2 new buildings do. This post offers an overview and a short list of possible uses, ignoring the fact that they also research the Mech and Glider in the Evolution mod, as these units are not present in Standard yet.

As of Dec 13th patch, these will be the relevant stats:
Cost: 500 stone (Garr/Sub: 1000 rs)
Build time: 25s (G/S: 40s)
Health: 10.000 (G/S: 15.000 hp)
Req's: None

While they have the same HP as the Garrison/Sublair, their redstone cost and their build time are halved. Why? Because they're poor man's version of those spawn point buildings. They are cut off from the 'network' that connects the other spawn points, therefore greatly reducing their usability compared with their full-featured counterparts. As such, they cannot perform the function that the 'network connection' provides:

- Drop-off point (instant delivery of mined resources to base)
- Spawn point (a terminal that allows spawning elsewhere after entering or spawning at after entering someplace else)

They do allow:

- Entering them and exiting right back (at these buildings' "front" position, where the arrow points, just like Garr/Sub have).
- Access to load-out where inventories and units can be bought and/or sold.
- Killing the players (hiding) inside them automatically when the building is destroyed.
- Train workers that will then be used to set up an expansion if so desired.

They essentially are niche buildings that can act as field re-stock and re-supply caches, and because of the way spawning works, as one way doors and bunkers. They are not:

-Supposed to replace Sublairs/Garrisons
-The new cool things that radically transforms the game
-OP

All the following screenshots were taken using some example set-ups, so please ignore obvious blunders or the fact that these are not the best possible scenarios for the listed examples. So, these are possible uses:

1. Shielding another building, like a fw spawn point, because of their high HP/low cost ratio. In this snowblind picture, the hill Sub is shielded from ballis by a Burrow.

2. One way gates. Because of the way spawning works, wherever you would be when entering a spawnpoint, you always exit it at its front. This way, a comm placing an Outpost/Burrow facing the inner side of an encampment, like a tech ring sealing the Shield, would possibly eliminate the need to use a twice as expensive Garrison. The players would spawn at SH and quickly pass through the Outpost to repair shield, then enter back inside SH to spawn elsewhere. Yes, it needs another way out Smiley.

3. Outer tech defense. Perhaps not worthy enough for a Sublair, some tech can still benefit from the added protection of Burrows. A player on the defense can spawn out of Lair, go beyond this wall covering the beast base on audhumla, and see the sort of threat that is incoming. Knowing what's going on, instead of going back to Lair, they can enter Burrow and quickly re-equip according to the needed roles. If there are demorunners, get snare. If there are ballis, get mist and blaze. Then get right back out and do a better job. Or go back and re-stock or change units without the round-trip to lair.

4. Tech backdoor. Instead of using something like a siege workshop, that can be harmed by saccers, or a 2nd arsenal to seal the Shield Tower behind SH, comms can use Outposts that also allow 'walking through' to team members. Comms can also build a Worker or 2 if needed to expand or repair the base.

5. Rush spawnpoint blocker. Like in this eden2 shot (although not as sloppily Smiley ), placed in choke points, Outposts and Burrows can block access to the rush spawnpoints for enemies, but allow passing through for teammates. Even if the main target for the enemy stays the spawnpoint, and even if they can get to it (the way not being blocked) there may be enough confusion amongst their ranks, causing them to split their attention and either attack both buildings or sac/demo the Outpost/Burrow. Either way, the spawnpoint lasts longer.

6. Kamikaze sneaking. In this kayin set-up (minimap missing), 2 beasts quickly put a Burrow up at snow, then enter it, get Behes, and quickly dispose of the human Garrison whose defenders have little time to return and protect. Replace Scavengers with Nomads and Behes with Catas and you may have flaming stone raining on enemy Sublairs in no-time! 500 stone is worth killing 1000 of the enemy's.

7. Forward bunkers. Possibly not the best chosen map for this example, but in this forgotten set-up, the comm built a Burrow at the stairs, where Summoners can fall back to and enter in case they're getting attacked. The human defenders would then either keep attacking the Burrow or go for the real threat, the Sublair. After humans are dead or gone, the Summoners can exit the Burrow and resume their attacks, or, in case their health was low, just sell everything and save the money. Or enter a Summoner and exit a Behe Smiley.

I'm sure these are not all the situations these buildings can be used in, but they can add another layer to the strategy used in Savage XR.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:05:07 pm by Daemon » Logged

shuN
Perverted yet determined
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 12:02:36 am »

Kudos for a proper explanation, Daemon.
A lot of the players thus far have not used this building out of sheer intimidation (i assume) in losing 500 stone for no purpose.

This is yet another tactical and strategical move decent comms can use in their arsenal!  Afro

Darkness shines in even the brightest of light.

Quote from: Standard
when i tried www(comma)google.com something didnt work...
Quote from: Cross
add my face to the crotch of savage
SavageLegacy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 03:07:50 pm »

Looks very interesting, excited to see how it works out in game.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:08:18 am »

It's almost like Daemon put some actual thought into it, huh? Afro

I wonder if any of the oldè veterans are going to learn some new tricks.
shuN
Perverted yet determined
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 03:39:27 am »

so far, nope!  Afro

Darkness shines in even the brightest of light.

Quote from: Standard
when i tried www(comma)google.com something didnt work...
Quote from: Cross
add my face to the crotch of savage
Ophelia
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 04:15:51 pm »

I was testing some commander Outpost ideas (On Kinixxx)
- and is there a DIFFERENT Range for Shield Tower compared to OTHER Buildings for it? Cause for some reason it does not get covered like the towers surrounding it.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2dhxyzd.png     (side view)
http://i59.tinypic.com/29bblky.png   (front view)

- these screenshots were taken AFTER I rebuilt the Outpost even CLOSER to the Shield
(enough so it does not go OVER the flag still)

Is this how it should be? And if so - is Burrow limited to the healing spire range as well?

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 04:52:19 pm »

Interesting, i will investigate. Perhaps this bug sneaked when transplanting stuff from Evolution. Thanks for reporting it!

Ophelia
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 04:55:17 pm »

Interesting, i will investigate. Perhaps this bug sneaked when transplanting stuff from Evolution. Thanks for reporting it!

I didnt get screenshot of it - but when I build a shield on OTHER side of the wall (Next to flag) - it WAS shielded, so it CAN be shielded, just perhaps not through walls? I have no clue, but no problem, I am VERY GLAD this is NOT how it should be! Cheesy
BrownAle
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 04:21:19 pm »

I have used em, they are great!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: