Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 17, 2018, 11:58:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189381 Posts in 10974 Topics by 18137 Members
Latest Member: JustNoob
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Announcements
| |-+  Development News
| | |-+  Savage XR 1.1 Patch
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Savage XR 1.1 Patch  (Read 63817 times)
JmZ
Teh JmZ
Gameserver Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2014, 11:28:13 pm »

I understand these features went through a thorough review, and most of them are quite nice.

But the point is, if the players one day decide they dont want lista to sprint for example, we should be able to simply disable it through config like anything else (or shaman swing too for example). We shouldn't have to come here with a bunch of users to get you to update the strangely hard coded configuration.

You are but a speck of dust in the vastness of space, waiting to meet your end in the reality you created.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2014, 11:46:14 pm »

Did the target die?
Is the server updated?
Yes 5x
No. (Leet, lol)
There's the reason.
Old servers don't know that there are two separate marks.

We shouldn't have to come here with a bunch of users to get you to update the strangely hard coded configuration.
Yes you should have to.
That's what the people that suggested changes had to do.
And that's what people that gave positive and negative feedback had to do.

What makes you think you're an exception above everyone else?

to get you to update the strangely hard coded configuration
Everything you've complained about (Mainly outposts?) can actually be disabled server-side.
And I've told you this already.

In fact, if disabling it server-side is not enough for you, you can even make a client patch for your "bunch of users" to permanently disable it for them.
Ophelia
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2014, 11:52:40 pm »

Did the target die?
Is the server updated?
Yes 5x
No. (Leet, lol)
There's the reason.
Old servers don't know that there are two separate marks.

I know the other (Not Leet) USA server will not be updated till at least Monday
 - so there is no way to effectively test this patch unless servers comply? 

+ One more thing I noticed - The cross hair for targeted (both offy/commander)
- is there a way to adjust it by distance? The SIZE of it is what I am specifically talking about.

(Again unsure if this is a server thing, as I am really not good w/ this)
JmZ
Teh JmZ
Gameserver Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2014, 12:00:22 am »

Yes, they can be disabled but not through the regular config and you forgot to add the appropriate cvars.

All changes to gameplay should be configurable by the server admin as it is not a globally applied decision. Some servers may want a different configuration from others. Things such as lista stamina and shaman melee, etc, should be configurable through the normal config files, just like everything else is (like mining anims are).

If you just add the cvars which should already exist, then that'll be great, i'd be happy to try it out knowing i can disable or change some features if it turns out people dont like them.

It is not right to have to come here for a change, it belongs in config like everything else. You shouldn't be deciding these things, you should offer the features and allow them to be configured (altered or disabled completely).

Do remember, I am only talking about gameplay changes such as stamina, melee, and additional buildings. Things like the marking do not alter gameplay drastically so don't necessarily need config.

You are but a speck of dust in the vastness of space, waiting to meet your end in the reality you created.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2014, 12:26:37 am »

- so there is no way to effectively test this patch unless servers comply?
Depends on what part of the patch.
Acting officer, duo-marking, and voting needs an updated server.
A few fixes do, too.
But anything entirely client-side can be tested just fine.

I've noted all reports regardless if server is updated or not.
I accept all reports.
And constantly check their validity and potential fixes.

+ One more thing I noticed - The cross hair for targeted (both offy/commander)
- is there a way to adjust it by distance? The SIZE of it is what I am specifically talking about.
This is a client-side thing, so you won't need an updated server.
There is no simple way to do it; but if enough people want something like this done, I/Daemon will consider a way to make it possible/happen.
If I don't rage quit before.

Yes, they can be disabled but not through the regular config and you forgot to add the appropriate cvars.
The script files are open to all, and even more so for servers.
They are meant to be edited accordingly.
You don't even have to edit the files themselves, you can write the changes into your server configs.
It is appropriate; not everything needs to be handled by cvars.
In fact, the current sheer amount of cvars available is often the reason why certain bugs occur.

All changes to gameplay should be configurable by the server admin as it is not a globally applied decision. Some servers may want a different configuration from others.
They can. I keep telling you that. Read above.

Things such as lista stamina and shaman melee, etc, should be configurable through the normal config files
Those things have absolutely nothing to do with hardcode or cvars.
Those things are entirely managed by the script files I keep talking about.
They are configurable through the normal config (and object) files. Read above.

If you just add the cvars which should already exist, then that'll be great, i'd be happy to try it out knowing i can disable or change some features if it turns out people dont like them.
Your above examples are unrelated to valid cvars.
They are .objects.
For more info, read above.

It is not right to have to come here for a change, it belongs in config like everything else. You shouldn't be deciding these things, you should offer the features and allow them to be configured (altered or disabled completely).
They are configurable. Read above.
Anything not configurable is a deep-seated thing that server admins have no right nor responsibility to affect.

Do remember, I am only talking about gameplay changes such as stamina, melee, and additional buildings. Things like the marking do not alter gameplay drastically so don't necessarily need config.
Stamina, shaman melee and additional buildings are configurable. Read above.
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2014, 03:02:59 am »

Server admins should be able to implement any game whatsoever in any other game, even better by changing a couple of cvars. They are the server admins, kings of gameplay. Bejeweled in CounterStrike? Mario Paint in Minecraft? Anything less is a needless restriction.

(yes yes continuum fallacy  Evil)

Ophelia
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2014, 04:33:07 am »

If I don't rage quit before.

APirateHat
XR Advertiser

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2014, 09:03:22 am »

@APH: So you'd rather not know what the order is just by 'glancing' at the minimap, but wondering what that single green flag is instead. Okay... So you think that what will confuse the new players is orders having a proper color, not the overbuffed vets farming them. Okay...

Just first impressions from me but this is about basic game design, having an interface that is easily understood without needing an explanation. Before this update there could only be one flag and you knew where to go, now there can be two and there are more colours as well. This is also not only about newbies as it confused me as well. All of this might not matter though as I think only me got this opinion but I like to look at possible downsides.

StaR$cReaM

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2014, 11:08:52 am »

I really appreciate ur hard work but I saw it and I dont like it.
To be honest I play savage for almost 10 years and never get enough of it. But now..I played for few minutes only and already feel that savage is no longer the same game I used to like.
The mix between the deaf' mod and the evo' its just wrong!
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2014, 11:10:03 am »

To be honest I play savage for almost 10 years and never get enough of it. But now..I played for few minutes only and already feel that savage is no longer the same game I used to like.
It changed over the years over and over again.

Which addition or change exactly is the problem?
StaR$cReaM

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2014, 11:24:30 am »

It changed over the years over and over again.

Which addition or change exactly is the problem?

Well As comm' every time I get out its give me the officer flag with the annoying voice "lead with honnor" and "nevermind". it himself need to be removed.
The new icon flags.
the new icon above the team players instead the arrows. its just to big and too distracting.

I don't think you need to change the way of the game. with all those mods. I mean most of the players in savage are old players that liked the game just the way it is.
If you want to change something change the character image. The weapons..It will make the diffrent and will give motivation to play.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2014, 11:36:56 am »

Well As comm' every time I get out its give me the officer flag with the annoying voice "lead with honnor" and "nevermind". it himself need to be removed.
That's how it is when you are promoted or demoted as officer.
That's already the case if a normal officer takes commander.
The voice is not new. Rolleyes
The only difference is that when a commander resigns, he gets officer so he can continue giving orders.
Is that really a problem?

The new icon flags.
the new icon above the team players instead the arrows. its just to big and too distracting.
Noted. Thank you for the report.
Any suggestions as to what to change about them?

I don't think you need to change the way of the game. with all those mods. I mean most of the players in savage are old players that liked the game just the way it is.
If you want to change something change the character image. The weapons..It will make the diffrent and will give motivation to play.
Check the re-balancing forum. Old players wanted changes.
Even Shagroth wants change nowadays.
Savage is a stagnant game; change was wished for and the changes are so subtle that most people didn't even notice when they tested them.

So test the changes for a bit and post feedback to which Evo stuff needs further adjusting or removing.
JmZ
Teh JmZ
Gameserver Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2014, 12:10:17 pm »

If every single feature you've added which affects gameplay can be configured, do go ahead and explain how, if possible.

It would also be nice to have a definitive changelog, rather than some links to multiple related threads. As not all evo mod changes were included, for example.

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2014, 12:26:18 pm »

If every single feature you've added which affects gameplay can be configured, do go ahead and explain how, if possible.
Every one you mentioned definitely can.
game/script/standard/objects/ and game/script/standard/objects/scripts
(As if you didn't know that.)
game/script/standard/configs/main.cfg a bit.
game/script/standard/XR.objlist as well, but be careful with that.

It would also be nice to have a definitive changelog, rather than some links to multiple related threads. As not all evo mod changes were included, for example.
Should be all except the new units.
If any are missing, it's a bug, so please report.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:47:56 pm by Hakugei » Logged
JmZ
Teh JmZ
Gameserver Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2014, 12:28:36 pm »

It isn't necessarily for me but rather so others looking for such a file location can find it.

Thanks, ill take a look at them.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: