Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2018, 08:02:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189316 Posts in 10967 Topics by 18116 Members
Latest Member: Davidikoss
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Server Forum
| | |-+  Refs can do more!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Refs can do more!  (Read 3690 times)
djinghis
« on: March 02, 2013, 12:36:35 am »

US Leet server

Referee in question: Fat Fingers
Complaint: Unfair teams/comms

Having played several games on Leet, a trend became apparent with stacked teams vs new comms and the ref in question does nothing, but join the stacked team and downsize and home wreck. This is not an abuse thread or is it a request to have a ref removed, it is simply putting out information that should help refs take a better stand in building popularity of servers with simple commands and decisions, based on experience.

After about 3 games of joining the underdog team it was a feeble effort as the new comm xr_FirstTimePlayer could not keep up with the stacks onslaught, so i gave up and had my say before i left. The reply I got from FF (Fat Fingers) was "I'm only playing the game" A strange comment that makes little sense to me. If playing the game means no or little opposition with overwhelming advantage then I guess you like very easy games with no challenge.

So Come On guys - lets have fair games and help Newbies, instead of reducing the server to a few vets that arnt willing to help anyone but themselves get kills.  Angry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 01:37:48 am »

i too recon refs in general are to touchy. aparently there are no even teams vote past 5 minutes, this is redicules, when you see 10vs15 the 15 being apsolutly snoted, and the refs stop the vote. omg. this game is about being fair and fun, not following the rules to the letter.  Undecided
a simple facade
im in ur base, killin ur buildinz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:14:42 am »

Another thing that could help to reduce stacks is to crack down more on aliases. I know many people know about my hatred for aliases, but it really does need to be said. It seems like every time I join the server there's an UnnamedNewbie or XR_FirstTimePlayer that has an unusually high k/d ratio and is hogging the buffs so they can pad their stats. It's a lot harder to notice a stack when people are aliasing.

SavageLegacy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 03:55:17 pm »

Another thing that could help to reduce stacks is to crack down more on aliases. I know many people know about my hatred for aliases, but it really does need to be said. It seems like every time I join the server there's an UnnamedNewbie or XR_FirstTimePlayer that has an unusually high k/d ratio and is hogging the buffs so they can pad their stats. It's a lot harder to notice a stack when people are aliasing.

Just so you know, that's (almost) always the same guy. If you click on someones name, you can see their stats. The guys username is alkantar (and more recently he made a new account called black wolf). To be honest I think that you should just be kicked if you're aliasing (kind of hypocritical coming from someone who used to alias a lot) but I've noticed recently just how much they ruin games.
BREEEWSKY

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 02:46:51 pm »

i agree that we as refs should try to get the teams more even in the beginning, and if we or any other players join a team in the middle of the game try to ask or join the team that is losing. Now with that being said, alot of non-US players have commented about refs stopping even team votes, to that i say please read the rules as they clearly state that even team votes are not allowed after the first 5 minutes of the game. A rule i fully support, if we just evened the teams over and over then more and more stalemates would occur.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:39:21 pm »

ik that rule bre, i recon it should be removed, its not about wining or losing its about making sure everyone has fun. and even teams is that. the losing team obvsy dosent have fun when they are stacked againsted. saying its against the rules and ref stopping is just being legalistic.
DarkStar
Evolved Darkness
Super Hero Member

I hate everyone equally.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 10:05:25 pm »

Team 1 is losing
Team 2 is winning
Player A is a key factor to why Team 2 is winning (saccing shield, covering summs, whatever)
Player A is switched to Team 1 because of an even team vote
Player A loses against Team 2, who he helped win

How exactly is that "fun?"

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 10:15:19 pm »

By making Shuffle switch the players with the lowest scores and/or the players that have joined the larger team the most recently.

Nightmare

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 12:00:59 am »

The Even Teams vote is fine as is. If one team starts to bail, there's no reason why people on the winning team should suddenly be moved to the losing team and there's no reason the winning team should be denied their earned victory because the other team starting bailing.  I also see a lot of people call it in the most ridiculous of circumstances, i.e. when they are only down 1 or 2 players.

Most people are pretty aware of my stance on aliases and I'm usually pretty merciless when they do anything remotely against the rules, but unfortunately stacking and buff whoring are not against the rules.  I'm all for refs trying to encourage people to stack less (I'm usually one of the first to comment on vets being stackers), but buff usage comes down to the comm. Buffs are the in game and if someone is buffing you a lot, buff them back.  Lots of people use buffs to either make up for lack of skill, or just to be lazy and yes, some people do it to be dicks. Nothing refs can do about buffs, but the buffs in this game are pretty flawed to begin with so it's more of a dev issue.
djinghis
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 02:50:41 am »

This thread is not about Powerups (buffs) or aliasing.

Try to stick to the topic. thx
No_one

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 05:24:18 am »

I know this isn't related to this thread, but I want to make clear one thing:

Who is hogging buffs?

a simple facade:

Playtime ---> 14 days, 1 hours, 7 minutes, and 56 seconds

Buffs Used    4717

Legacy:

Playtime    ---> 34 days, 10 hours, 10 minutes, and 49 seconds

Buffs Used    16311

Alkantar :

Playtime    ---> 58 days, 15 hours, 32 minutes, and 38 seconds

Buffs Used    6740

----------------------------------------

Stat whoring?

I don't pretend to be good or bad. Playing as a newbie means not caring for stats. I just want to be left alone. Is really that hard to understand!

And to finish this brief clarification:

Aliasing it's not a crime in my book, but a way to not deal with idiots and and liars...and unfortunately there are many in the Savage community. Aliasing has its pros as cons. And if you add to the equation that you'll never give confidence to any a..h..., than to lie on you will be much easier!

Thanks!

djinghis
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 10:17:32 am »

Whats easy to understand is that aliasing (uttar/UnnamedNewbie/XR_FirstTimePlayer/(#)) or variations of these default names is not only void of creativity but suggests that you've done something wrong under your previous name.

I have no problem with people using another name so long as its not a default name and that the player is playing savage like a normal human being. But that said I personally have had aliases trolling me non stop with negativity and inflammatory comments while they sit in spectators. The amount of time invested in trying so hard to get me to rage is mind boggling and makes me wonder what I've done to them in the past.

If they wish to troll me correctly, then they're going about it all the wrong way.
First of all my e-mail is available under my profile and with a little creative investigations they'd find out a few other accounts I use online.
Then they would spam these accounts to the extent of rendering them unusable and Id have to make new accounts, and even find friend groups and family emails linked to it. The accounts that they can link to could be sent with false or even incriminating information all linking to me.
In games that I play Its easy to find me and get on a friend/buddy list or guild and clan I may administer or are part of and then impersonate and act like an ass etc.

So with the 5 minutes of thought I've given to troll tactics, that are far superior to the savage trolls I've come across, Its not hard to accept that they are obviously children with little understanding of the world. And are nothing to be feared.

But as far as the original topic of even teams is concerned... Thanks for ignoring the core of my subject everyone. I thought the idea of a individual switch team vote was a good idea, but I guess not. I'll just have to take it on my self to ask 2 commanders and a ref if I wish to even a team at my own peril for the sake of a fair and EQUAL game.

(Please close this thread or delete it moderators I'm easy either way)
SavageLegacy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 08:24:21 pm »

Sorry about this, I know this thread (http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,16447.msg181701.html#new) was locked for a reason, but I really wanted to respond to alkantar's post. Not sure how the topic turned into buff using, but since you decided to bring it up by using me as evidence, I'll talk about it. First of all, there is a VERY big difference between using an elec buff to kill a player 1v1, and using an elec buff to kill a sub. You claim you just want to be left alone, but if you really did then you wouldn't give people a reason to bother you (i.e. 1v1 elec buffing, which you do to me every time you see me). Also, when you post these stats, give a whole link to the stat page, not just the one's that make it seem as if you are right.

Here's my stat page: http://www.newerth.com/?id=stats&action=view&uid=1274767&pp=search_username&pk=legacy
and here's yours: http://www.newerth.com/?id=stats&action=view&uid=1171009&pp=search_username&pk=alkantar
Look at ALL the stats (especially building damage/homewreckers).

While I agree with what you said when you said "Aliasing it's not a crime in my book, but a way to not deal with idiots and and liars" (as that was the reason I used to alias), couldn't you do it under a different name? You don't have to use the name XR_FirstTimePlayer, because that just gives people the impression that you are a noob when they see you, which isn't fair. Instead, choose a name and stick with it, so while people won't know who you actually are, they will still know that you are a good player when they fight you. It gives you an unfair advantage against many players you play against who will think you are bad because of your name.

Again, sorry about this to whichever admin locked the other thread, I just really felt the need to respond. Please move this post into the other thread and delete this topic (if you can), or just lock this topic now? Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:29:50 pm by SavageLegacy » Logged
Groentjuh
Newerth Serveradmin, German Mirror and Webdeveloper
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 12:18:24 am »

SavageLegacy, next time ask a moderator such as Darkstar to allow you to post this.

That way the forum will not turn into a mess and topic locks will not result in new topics. These new topics are dodging the lock!

Before adding any of my IMs, ask yourself: Can I ask it in a PM?
Before sending me a PM with questions, Search the forums!
Wanna be ref? Post on my Server Forum
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: