Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2017, 10:13:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188439 Posts in 10865 Topics by 17886 Members
Latest Member: p3y3ut0cd0
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Support Forum
| | |-+  The authentication server seems to be offline (stats & Clan management will be u
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The authentication server seems to be offline (stats & Clan management will be u  (Read 5889 times)
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 04:56:17 pm »

Those modems DO act as routers - even if only for 1 port, yours. To test if they're blocking ports, do a simple test: start XR, host a game (console "~", type "world eden2"), then open this address: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and enter port 11235 in the port field next to your IP. It should be open. If it's not, it means that your modem or ISP or firewall are definitely blocking your ports. If 11235 is open, but you still can't authenticate, then it's possible that some other application is using the port 1025 that XR needs. You can test that using a telnet client. In WinXP for instance, hit start/run, type 'cmd' then Enter, and type 'netstat -a' command. In that list you're getting you should find 1025 and see if there's a connection open on that port.

Thanks! It's listed as open in the site you linked.

I ran the the netstat -a command while Savage was running and it's listed twice:
Protocol: TCP  Local adress: 0.0.0.0:11235   External adress: My-computer:0  Status: Listening
Protocol: UDP Local adress: 0.0.0.0:11235 External adress: *;* Status: (just a blank space)

If I run the netstat -a command without Savage running, then the port doesn't show up anywhere.

So... I'm not sure what's up. The way I interpret it is that there's no other program using the port, and it should be open.

Run netstat and look for port 1025.

SavageBeard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 05:12:18 pm »

Those modems DO act as routers - even if only for 1 port, yours. To test if they're blocking ports, do a simple test: start XR, host a game (console "~", type "world eden2"), then open this address: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and enter port 11235 in the port field next to your IP. It should be open. If it's not, it means that your modem or ISP or firewall are definitely blocking your ports. If 11235 is open, but you still can't authenticate, then it's possible that some other application is using the port 1025 that XR needs. You can test that using a telnet client. In WinXP for instance, hit start/run, type 'cmd' then Enter, and type 'netstat -a' command. In that list you're getting you should find 1025 and see if there's a connection open on that port.

Thanks! It's listed as open in the site you linked.

I ran the the netstat -a command while Savage was running and it's listed twice:
Protocol: TCP  Local adress: 0.0.0.0:11235   External adress: My-computer:0  Status: Listening
Protocol: UDP Local adress: 0.0.0.0:11235 External adress: *;* Status: (just a blank space)

If I run the netstat -a command without Savage running, then the port doesn't show up anywhere.

So... I'm not sure what's up. The way I interpret it is that there's no other program using the port, and it should be open.

Run netstat and look for port 1025.

With Savage closed, there's no 1025 listed either.

*Edit* Aha, but when I run the website to check for open ports it says that port 1025 is closed. Not sure what to make of it.

My ISP says they don't limit trafic, but maybe there's some guy who doesn't know what they're talking about in support.

I tried to find settings for my modem but can't really find 'em, just some IP adress that (supposedly) lists some stats about my modem but I can't interact with it or change any settings. http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4012160.pdf <-- That  is the modem I use and manual and I can't find any mention of how to open ports.

I guess I will contact my ISP again.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:50:13 pm by SavageBeard » Logged
biggeruniverse
Disrespectful Newerth Coder and Occasional Admin

Savage Days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 05:29:07 pm »

It might be a good idea for whoever wrote the auth code to revisit using port 1025 for this purpose. You're asking people to make themselves vulnerable to multiple attacks (including new zero-day attacks due to the nature of the port use in Windows) for the sake of auth to a game.

http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=1025

As you see this port is used by several trojans, worms, and viruses. There is a reason ISPs have it locked down, and opening it up could cause you a lot of trouble. This is also the port of the Windows Server RPC service, which likewise is a major security concern.

It would be far wiser to use a much higher port number, something chosen more at random, and not just because it's right outside the 1-1024 POSIX restricted port range...

https://twitter.com/SavageRebirth
Quote from: Helios
You mean an already 7 yr old game is going to die eventually?  Good call there Nostradumbass
Crashbandicoot
Live Or Leave

Are you talking to me?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 12:21:22 pm »

everything still blocked . trying to open router ports 11235 and 1025 into settings but it seems i cant open them. Undecided

P1nkrabb1t

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 09:05:59 pm »

Had this issue since day 1 when they started using this port. So for last 5 years or so. Really wierd why they cant make a fix for this or just somple use a different port, had a proxy server set up by a friend ingame that rerouted my traffic via his server. That worked for awhile but not a long term solution.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: