Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2017, 10:24:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188452 Posts in 10867 Topics by 17891 Members
Latest Member: Alvis
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Support Forum
| | |-+  Report: XR 1.0 Feedback (Bugs and Issues)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Report: XR 1.0 Feedback (Bugs and Issues)  (Read 28107 times)
Nanaa
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2013, 10:52:38 pm »

The question is if it ever happened since Sunday's update. Before that, there were mismatching netcode versions running on 1.0 and G&G.
Venco died during this week and since there is someone in the video playing with "RIP Venco" in his name, it proves that the bug happened since Sunday's update.
psilocybin665

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2013, 10:25:14 pm »

In older versions of savage xr (pre 1.0), when a commander was about to place a building, there would be wavy lines extending from the shield towers or healing spires to the buildings that those towers affected. This showed whether the buildings were close enough to receive the towers' benefit. Also, the affected buildings would be shaded dark blue.
I do not see that effect in XR 1.0. Was it intentionally removed? Did I mess up some setting?
I really liked that feature.

I have been playing savage for about 8 years now. Thank you for making this great game better! Savage is still one of my favorite games.
Stringer
The guy who doesn't know anything
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2013, 01:03:11 pm »

Hello there.

I'd like to report some bugs (or what I believe to be bugs) in the sound system.
I think these bugs aren't specific to latest build of XR, but rather that they existed for a long time
The "pinging" sound of a human landmine will be used as an example, but this stuff really applies to a lot of sounds.

*** Bug N1 ***.
"sndmat" file is not read when a sound effect is loaded.

General info:
In the gamefiles, near the sound (.ogg or .wav) files, there are some additional files containing extended sound properties - like fading distances and such, called "sndmat" files. Format is simple: file name is same as filename of a sound file, but with "sndmat" extension.

How to reproduce:
1) Lauch savage.
2) In the console, do "world eden". Spawn as either t1 or t2.
3) In the console, do "sndLoad sound/human/items/landmine_ping.ogg"
4) In the console, do "soundlist". Last entry on the list should be the just-loaded ping sound. Remember its number.
5) In the console, do "sndEdit <number you rememberd>; sndSet" (for example, "sndEdit 23; sndSet")
6) Note, that in the displayed information, falloff listed from 100 to 1000. But in the sndmat file, it is listed as 200 to 400. So the file was not used.

Restart savage and repeat steps 2-5, with exception that you should use "devworld" instead if "world" to load the map.
Note, that this time, the file was correctly read, and the falloff is listed as 200-400.
For some reason, the additional sound info is only used when the game is running in a developer, cheat-enabled mode.

Moreover, this difference is not just display issue. The actual distance from which you can hear the landmine also changes.

*** Bug N2 ***.
The landmine stops pinging when it is out of your sight, even if it is right near you.

How to reproduce:
1) Lauch savage.
2) Do "devworld eden", so the mines will be accessible right away.
3) Spawn as human with a landmine.
4. Place the landmine, stand near it, looking toward it. You will hear the pinging sound.
5) Now turn away from the mine, so it will be out of view. But don't move anywhere, just turn away.
6) The pinging sound stops, despite the fact that the mine is still right near you.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:02:08 pm by Stringer » Logged

Be wise
Shagroth
no u
Newerth Council
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2013, 04:09:31 pm »

last one is why i always walk on mines, its rather annoying  Smiley

biggeruniverse
Disrespectful Newerth Coder and Occasional Admin

Savage Days

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2013, 05:12:22 pm »

The last one has to do with how Savage handles objects in general- objects out of your view or far away from you are not sent in updates, and so the client assumes that they have ceased to exist. When you come near them, the server sends an update about their location and the client assumes that they are a new object again.

https://twitter.com/SavageRebirth
Quote from: Helios
You mean an already 7 yr old game is going to die eventually?  Good call there Nostradumbass
Stringer
The guy who doesn't know anything
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2013, 10:39:36 pm »

I know that, bigger.
Object is out of your current frustum, it stops being drawn and any associated effects stop being progressed thought time.
If you stand turned away from a mine for some time, and then turn back, you'll hear whole bunch of pings - because effect get an update, and suddenly realize a lot of time has passed since last update. Client does know about the very fact that object exist. (sensor is drawn on the minimap even when you don't look on it, meaning it's still in objects array). Client just doesn't do any processing on it. Effects maintain the state they were in last time you looked on it. And since you can change effects by changing game files, the state is client-side.

As a matter of fact, i know what cause first bug as well:
Cheat protection was supposed to prevent changing sound properties from the console, so it blocks the editing of sounds through commands. But sndmat file is just a config file really, a sequence of commands. It is read and then executed, just as if these commands were typed in the console, so the aforementioned protection kicks in. Apparently, the cheat-protection code within sound-editing commands should be turned off before reading the sound file, and then switched back on.

But.

It isn't the purpose of a bug report to tell devs which line of code they need to fix.
So I kept it formal: short description+way to reproduce.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:53:54 pm by Stringer » Logged

Be wise
Nobody

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2013, 09:21:32 pm »

sometimes when reviving with shaman i start doing  the animations, but am not actually reviving wich causes me to get stuck in the revive animation while still being vulnerable and also the  person wont come back alive Sad
also when i die shortly b4 reviving it sometimes still makes the revive sound :S

going for top 10 healer Cheesy
Kay Jayden

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2014, 05:54:23 am »

Hi I'm new here.

I am having trouble installing and using the (xr_setup-1.0-cl_lin_). I did download it and then go through the set up procedure but I do not see any way to run this application on my browser or desktop.
I am a noob with Linux at this point. I am not sure how to approach this problem.

~K
shuN
Perverted yet determined
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2014, 06:20:40 am »

try creating your own thread. i dont know if 1 year old threads get noticed.

or reply in here http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,6616.0.html

Darkness shines in even the brightest of light.

Quote from: Standard
when i tried www(comma)google.com something didnt work...
Quote from: Cross
add my face to the crotch of savage
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2014, 07:14:53 am »

Assuming you are using a debian derivative like Ubuntu or Mint, take a look at
http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,6637.msg98840.html#msg98840

Adjust the file name to the actual file you downloaded.

shuN
Perverted yet determined
XR Mapper

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2014, 01:40:18 am »

prove me wrong jazz. thanks you ass.  Afro

Darkness shines in even the brightest of light.

Quote from: Standard
when i tried www(comma)google.com something didnt work...
Quote from: Cross
add my face to the crotch of savage
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: