Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 04:08:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188624 Posts in 10884 Topics by 17944 Members
Latest Member: Dawnbringer
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Modding Forum
| | |-+  Savage Arena
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Savage Arena  (Read 10996 times)
MiraculiX

xr_newerth

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 12:50:48 pm »

Nice idea MiraculiX!

I think it would be nice if all players could choose their unit of their liking at the start of the match (some players prefer savage of legionnaires etc). Every player starts with a basic ranged weapon like the crossbow (and ofcourse melee) and can pick up more ranged weapons whilst on the pitch. So players can hold one melee weapon (including rabid, carn and venomous) + 4 ranged weapons.
Buffs (like the normal ones in savage), frenzy, mist, some double damage for ranged weapons and more, etc? can be picked up on the field but activate immediately.
The first team to X kills wins!
So more or less UT-style.

Offtopic: Instagib would be so much better if each team had atleast two spawn points, so players don't wait for others to spawn in their crosshair.
Mein's idea sound good as well, but then games would probably become just one big campingfest. Perhaps this could be solved by making players spawn randomly or by letting players choose to spawn at any spawnpoint, like in warming-up.

I don't want to include kill numbers in the victory condition - just the complete annihilation of the other team XD.
Nor do I want overpowered ranged weapons, and don't want to use any thats magic or high tech related- so no fire tech, no strata tech, no entropy tech, no magnetic tech, no chemical tech, no electrical tech ^^.
What would be available instead are bows and crossbows, of different strength, range, reload rate and price ofc; combined with gunpowder for AoE, and poisons (damaging and ones affecting nervous system thus slowing maybe).
Furthermore different grenades (with !push o o <vector z> ^^ ) for basic crowd control, ones that burn victims, maybe smoke bombs for team utility Smiley

I dont want to create anything that would encourage killwhoring, and soloing, long live team work !!

As a said before I would like 4 units, all having access to all basic tier equipment, and ofc their own specialization.

Tank (impersonated by Legos): Increased HP, reduced speed
Equipment: Heavy armor, advanced grenades, basic ranged

Fighter (impersonated by Savs): Increased melee damage, Normal HP, normal speed
Equipment: Medium armor, Advanced melee, medium grenades and ranged tier

Scout (impersonated by Nomads): Low hp, Increased ranged damage, increased speed
Equipment: Light armor, Advanced ranged, Snares

Shaman (impersonated by Chaps): Normal hp, speed, damage
Equipment: Medium armor, grenades, potions

By normal I mean comparable to the average unit properties, not to the respective normal in game units.

The movement speed would be maximum values, only decreasing with heavy items/armor, but ofc other values would increase then. Dont worry, I dont want Scouts racing 2 or 3 times faster than tanks, and a tank in full heavy armor and most massive gear wouldnt be slower than a lego Smiley

Contact me if you want your map to be checked!
MiraculiX

xr_newerth

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 12:52:52 pm »

Using all 16 slots will be bugged as the GUI only supports 5! Tho they can be used, using the mousewheel as example :p

That is true enough, the GUI only expects 5. :p You'd need to make own GUI for more.
Which also means having to bind more "invswitch"s as well.
It's not ideal. Smiley (But can be done for mods.)
Well I still would have to work that out if more is necessary...
Wouldn't want to end up like Word of Warcraft having to use 30+ skills. Sometimes efficiency is in simplicity ^^

Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 02:50:34 pm »

It is potentially possible to increase the number of slots.
You would need to modify the GUI for that (which is possible with map scripting, and in-map assets).

But I suggest that you don't get too focused on technical points at this point and instead gather a list of concepts for the mod (like your idea of having "events", without going into too much details).

Once you have a good idea of what you wanna achieve, come back to me and I'll be able to advise you on what is technically possible, so you can adapt the concepts to what is feasible.

Looking forward to future discussions on this!
 Afro

(P.S: your mod sounds a bit like TF2 with Melee fighting! Cant wait to play it!!!)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 02:52:31 pm by Mohican » Logged

Zaitev
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 09:07:18 am »

Tho they can be used, using the mousewheel as example :p

Invswitch binds are set all the way to the 8-key by default already, so you can select up to slot 7 without any changes and claim the #8, #9 and #0 as well through some auto-detection, but you'd still be limited to ten items if you want a key for every item.Too bad the numpad contains the same keys, not a different set. That would be feasible though, wouldn't it? That would be useful for other binds besides the ones needed for this mod, too.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 09:16:26 am »

Numpad contains other keys.
KP_# (replace # with the number) if I recall correctly.
So, yes, you could bind some of them there as well.
MiraculiX

xr_newerth

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 09:27:54 pm »

Well the arena plans are ready Smiley
There will be more maps, if people will actually play this mod.

1 and 2 are where the teams start respectively.
The dots north and south are big rollable boulders, like in Indiana Jones films ^^
On the mid ledge there will be a temple, and facing it the imprisoned predator.
Only with a buff from the temple will a fighter be able to sacrifice himself and free the predator (thus securing an advantage for his team) - like the orc runner in LoTR, siege of helms deep. This buff will give extra running speed, and a highlight until the unit dies or succeeds.

* arena.jpg (60.23 KB, 575x504 - viewed 115 times.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 09:33:39 pm by MiraculiX » Logged

MiraculiX

xr_newerth

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 05:59:23 pm »

So I have been learning quite a but about the ingame objects, triggers, units etc from the savage0.s2z file.

I would be intrigued, how the human and beast armor get different colors at different levels, as the only distinction I have seen is basic>medium>full armor for each unit.

Also, is there some place where all the different models can be found?
I mean the unconventional ones, maybe ones developed for XR or different mods.

Thanks!

p.s:
The map will be ready soon Smiley

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 06:39:22 pm »

They're not models; just color blending.

savage0.s2z\script\standard\configs\exptable_human.cfg (exptable_beast.cfg)

Code:
expSet bodyRed 0.200000
expSet bodyGreen 0.550000
expSet bodyBlue 0.200000
expSet bodyAlpha 1.000000
Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 03:14:00 am »

@Miraculix:
There are a lot of possibilities for modding that I need to talk about with you (catch me on IRC).
 - You can include configuration files in the map to modify Objects, States, and GUI.
 - You can also include custom sounds, textures, and models in the map file.

MiraculiX

xr_newerth

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 03:56:35 pm »

I was wondering if its possibile to make 3 types of melee weapons (Fast, Strong, and long range) in the loadout screen (so just using 3 slots), which would actually give different units different weapons (for example selecting Strong with the Scout unit would give you the Stong scout axe and not the Strong fighter sword... ) ?

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 04:07:33 pm »

the range of melee is hardcoded I think, rest is possible afaik

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 04:17:55 pm »

Samurai Wars has different melee weapons.

I don't think melee range is hardcoded.
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 04:52:29 pm »

It's not hardcoded. And even if it were, we're here to mess it all up!

Neither are the swing timings. The animations is the thing that forces swing to have fixed duration, or they go out of sync.

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 05:04:07 pm »

Samurai Wars has different melee weapons.

I don't think melee range is hardcoded.

Did / can you check? Would love to know it.  Smiley

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 05:27:35 pm »

I assume "atkSet range" (under attackEdit melee_1) is the attribute you're looking for.

Nomad is 20, lego is 50, behe is 130 - just to name a few.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: