Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 10:44:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188623 Posts in 10884 Topics by 17943 Members
Latest Member: Yustus123321
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Modding Forum
| | |-+  Savage Arena
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Savage Arena  (Read 10990 times)
MiraculiX

xr_newerth

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2011, 09:39:57 pm »

With XR's scripting possibilities, I would like to create a new Savage Mod (a map actually), the Savage Arena - featuring gladiator games.

The concept is the same as duels, just in groups and with some hopefully nice additions. With Daemons new modular props, it will be finally possible to build an epic Colosseum.

As I have conceived this Mod, a game would consist of lets say 5 matches.

Before the actual battle both teams would start in their respective arsenal, having the possibility to chose from a set of melee and ranged weapons, units, and armor. Not sure about this, but I would also like to connect this to the InGameShop, so maybe our gladiators could use "skins" they haven't acquired yet. I would like to use a more orthodox  set of weapons, like crossbows, bows axes, swords etc., and no cyber flux guns.

A battle would be Death Match based, until only one team stands, or a maximum of 10 (or 5ie) minutes. Victories would earn a team 3 points, draws 1 to ensure and offensive play-style .
The battlefield itself would be very interactive with a set of interesting events, triggers and a creative combination of terrain and props, and ofc a spectacular Colosseum, to make Savage Arena a truly fast paced and enjoyable mod.

With so many people loving to PvP in 3D and 2D, this Mod if done right could really make savage more popular game, emphasizing the fast paced action part. And as Savage has an already outstanding melee system, it could be amazing!

For those who doubt the possibility of such a project, check out these awesome Maps/Mods:
xr_castle
xr_mini

I would like to put my conflicts with some community members in the background, and do this, to show how amazing Savage and Savage XR is!
MiraculiX

Contact me if you want your map to be checked!
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:42:42 pm »

Go for it if you'd like to.
If it's a quick/short match-style and fast-paced action, it should attract the one or other group.

...and if you want to, you can host a tournament for it as well.
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:23:19 pm »

Sounds a bit like a teambased version of my DM mod -> TDM (Team Death Match).
http://savage-girls.com/base/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&id=3847&catid=46
Server: http://www.newerth.com/?id=serverlist&details=188.40.45.200:11241

I would really enjoy to have not just duels, but fighting as tactically as in my DM mod with item/unit/health pickup. And yes, such a mod would easily have the potential to be highly competitive.

<3 TDM!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 11:25:22 pm by H3027 » Logged

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
Nanaa
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 08:36:35 pm »

I like the idea very much. DM is already my favorite mod for savage. Developing that further into TDM would be a brilliant idea. Im not sure though if it should be possible to pick units/items/weapons/health from the field (DM style)... or have the gladiators buy their stuff at the beginning (CS style).

If they have to buy stuff, I'd suggest these kind of sets to choose from:
  • scavenger (lvl 9) + tempest/rupture/fireball + frenzy + mana crystal + mist
  • nomad (lvl 9) + coil/pulse gun/launcher + 3 meds + ammo pack + 2 immobs
  • stalker (lvl 7) + carni/blaze + frenzy + 2 snares
  • savage (lvl 7) + repeater/crossbow + 3 meds
  • predator (lvl 4) + rabid
  • legionaire (lvl 4) + flux

I kinda dislike the idea that ranged should be restricted only to ancient weapons like hunting bow/crossbow. Variety is nice, screw the orthodoxy  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:42:01 pm by Nanaa » Logged
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 09:33:26 pm »

Or make new weapons!

-Mein-
The One and Only
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 10:14:14 pm »

Public games are kinda like Teamdeath matchs already.

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:33:13 pm »

What's the whole point posting this? To make us wait or do you look for help? Or any other hdiden meaning? Smiley

-Mein-
The One and Only
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 11:24:37 pm »

Better go and modify Instagib. Why is there any need to kill Stronghold in instagib, you have to reach a killcount! Oh i love cry babies when i camp! Nubs.

MiraculiX

xr_newerth

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 10:06:33 am »

To collect ideas actually.

MiraculiX

xr_newerth

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 11:56:01 am »

I'm browsing through and finding out stuff about the content of savage0.s2z, so I have slight idea about what features I can modify, but there seem to be more options than i thought.

Instead of an in game (pre match) equipment/unit pickup I would like to do it all in the loadout screen.
This way player would have a given amount of gold that can be spent on different units, weapons, items and armor.

objSet forceInventory0 "catapult_weapon"
objSet forceInventory1 ""
objSet forceInventory2 ""
objSet forceInventory3 ""
objSet forceInventory4 ""
objSet forceInventory5 ""
objSet forceInventory6 ""
objSet forceInventory7 ""
objSet forceInventory8 ""
objSet forceInventory9 ""
objSet forceInventory10 ""
objSet forceInventory11 ""
objSet forceInventory12 ""
objSet forceInventory13 ""
objSet forceInventory14 ""
objSet forceInventory15 ""
objSet allowInventory0 +none +weapon +building +unit +item +upgrade +melee
objSet allowInventory1 +none +weapon +building +unit +item +upgrade +melee
objSet allowInventory2 +none +weapon +building +unit +item +upgrade +melee
objSet allowInventory3 +none +weapon +building +unit +item +upgrade +melee
objSet allowInventory4 +none +weapon +building +unit +item +upgrade +melee
objSet allowInventory5 -none -weapon -building -unit -item -upgrade -melee
objSet allowInventory6 -none -weapon -building -unit -item -upgrade -melee
objSet allowInventory7 -none -weapon -building -unit -item -upgrade -melee
objSet allowInventory8 -none -weapon -building -unit -item -upgrade -melee
objSet allowInventory9 -none -weapon -building -unit -item -upgrade -melee
objSet allowInventory10 -none -weapon -building -unit -item -upgrade -melee
objSet allowInventory11 -none -weapon -building -unit -item -upgrade -melee
objSet allowInventory12 -none -weapon -building -unit -item -upgrade -melee
objSet allowInventory13 -none -weapon -building -unit -item -upgrade -melee
objSet allowInventory14 -none -weapon -building -unit -item -upgrade -melee
objSet allowInventory15 -none -weapon -building -unit -item -upgrade -melee

I found this browsing... does it mean units have 15 slots potentially ?

I dont want to make equipment available for all units (like blacking out of the item/weapon selection panel for siege units),
so certain units have a restricted selection only.
Reading some modding guides, I found out that the melee weapon (at least the model-I dont mean carn or rabid) is set in the .object file. Still, is it possible to select melee weapon in the loadout screen ?

Also a technical question, if a create a separate savage installation, to modify this savage0.s2z file, can I still use the autoupdater, or that would be messed up ?

XabHippA
|DeMo|

im terribly tough, i really am

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 12:01:19 pm »

Nice idea MiraculiX!

I think it would be nice if all players could choose their unit of their liking at the start of the match (some players prefer savage of legionnaires etc). Every player starts with a basic ranged weapon like the crossbow (and ofcourse melee) and can pick up more ranged weapons whilst on the pitch. So players can hold one melee weapon (including rabid, carn and venomous) + 4 ranged weapons.
Buffs (like the normal ones in savage), frenzy, mist, some double damage for ranged weapons and more, etc? can be picked up on the field but activate immediately.
The first team to X kills wins!
So more or less UT-style.

Offtopic: Instagib would be so much better if each team had atleast two spawn points, so players don't wait for others to spawn in their crosshair.
Mein's idea sound good as well, but then games would probably become just one big campingfest. Perhaps this could be solved by making players spawn randomly or by letting players choose to spawn at any spawnpoint, like in warming-up.

ŠeN
MiraculiX

xr_newerth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 12:03:23 pm »

I kinda dislike the idea that ranged should be restricted only to ancient weapons like hunting bow/crossbow. Variety is nice, screw the orthodoxy  Tongue

I wanted to create new unit and weapon presets, maybe using crossbows (exploding xbow ^^), bows, grenades,  different potions for healer buffs, selectable armor, snares, altered melee weapons. They would all cost a different amount of gold, and would trade weight for damage/protection/utility. More weight - lesser movement speed.
I would introduce a diverse set of units, each having a certain specialization (tank, melee fighter, healer, scout...), all needing different equipment.

As of the beast units, I thought of locking some up in cages on the map, and they could be freed periodically (actually changing unit to pred for example), they would be powerful, and teams would have interest in secuing them for themselves XD

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 12:19:12 pm »

I found this browsing... does it mean units have 15 slots potentially ?
No, they have 16 slots. Smiley
Standard Savage only uses 5 slots, but the other 11 slots do work (tested).

Reading some modding guides, I found out that the melee weapon (at least the model-I dont mean carn or rabid) is set in the .object file. Still, is it possible to select melee weapon in the loadout screen ?
Yes, just remove the set melee weapon in the .object file (the string, not the weapon itself) and enable the melee weapons (or make your own) to be bought.

Also a technical question, if a create a separate savage installation, to modify this savage0.s2z file, can I still use the autoupdater, or that would be messed up ?
It would mess up things sooner or later. Create an own archive, e.g. savage1.s2z, and put your editted files into there (while leaving savage0.s2z untouched). Also, this only makes sense for preliminary testing. Once you want to properly create this map-mod, you'll need to create a proper mod folder. You can always take a look at some of the existing mods to see how it is done (or if you get stuck/confused, ask Mohi, Daemon or me).
Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 12:26:19 pm »

Using all 16 slots will be bugged as the GUI only supports 5! Tho they can be used, using the mousewheel as example :p

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 12:33:42 pm »

Using all 16 slots will be bugged as the GUI only supports 5! Tho they can be used, using the mousewheel as example :p

That is true enough, the GUI only expects 5. :p You'd need to make own GUI for more.
Which also means having to bind more "invswitch"s as well.
It's not ideal. Smiley (But can be done for mods.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: