Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2018, 02:39:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189431 Posts in 10977 Topics by 18158 Members
Latest Member: rerakefo
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Chat
| | |-+  A good gaming mouse for about 50 e
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A good gaming mouse for about 50 e  (Read 19996 times)
COJ-Suoma
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2011, 07:15:03 pm »

Hello. I used to have a old logitech mx518, but yesterday it suddenly broke. The right mouse button malfunctions badly, and i really do need a new mouse. I've been thinking between logitech g500 and razer death adder... What do you guys use? opinions? Thanks Smiley

H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:25:14 pm »

Razer DeathAdder  Afro

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
COJ-Suoma
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 07:37:39 pm »

I heard that it lasts about half year and then breaks... is this true?

H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 07:43:20 pm »

I heard that it lasts about half year and then breaks... is this true?

Yeah, so was it for me at least.

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
COJ-Suoma
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:58:29 pm »

Well i am not able to pay 100e / year for a mouse, i sadly do need a mouse that lasts atleast 1,5years.

Bobbe
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 08:02:05 pm »

You will not want to buy a Razer mouse if one of the following is true:
1) You used the "nudge mouse wheel" function on your old Logitech (Logitech mice allow you to additionally push the wheel left and right; newer models also have a feature called "free scroll")
2) You use the mouse (with its additional buttons) to work with many programs/games (only Logitech drivers allow for a feature called "application detection" that automatically changes the profile (mouse button mapping) for each program you open, seperatley)

As an owner of both Razer and Logitech mice (4 Logitech ones, 2 Razer ones, +some old Microsoft ones) I'll simply list my favorites:

1) Logitech G700 - 5700 dpi, 14 buttons, wired and wireless; The mouse I use currently; has it all, but it's not the cheapest
2) Logitech G9x - 5700 dpi, 9 buttons, wired, customizable weight; My second favorite, cheap, but if you're used to your current mouse shape you should try it out first

If you don't need the Logitech mouse wheel or don't use the additional buttons, you can as well buy a Razer, Roccat, Cyborg Rat, et cetera Tongue

As for gaming, make sure of the following:
1) Buy a wired mouse (or a hybrid one)
2) If you're a high sensitivity gamer, go for at least 5700 DPI. Otherwise everything above 3200 should be fine
3) After you buy the mouse, (install and) open the driver and put "acceleration" to 0. Acceleration implies that your mouse pointer speed is variable, meaning your pointer will travel faster the quicker you move the mouse. This is absolutely not recommended for gaming, especially for FPS games where precise aiming is essential. Do the same in the windows control panel under "Mouse".
4) Open the mouse driver options and put the "polling rate" to 1000. All newer gaming mice should have that option.

I hope some of this helps. Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:56:30 pm by Bobbe » Logged
COJ-Suoma
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:17:47 pm »

Thanks alot Bobbe, that gave me alot to think. That was answer i've been looking for a while now. I will go to shop tomorrow and test both, g5000 and g9x, g700 goes over my budget.
Kudos.

COJ-Suoma
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 01:19:42 pm »

Well i purchased g500. It feels quite good, just takes a while to get used to. I do like it.

Groentjuh
Newerth Serveradmin, German Mirror and Webdeveloper
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 01:49:36 pm »

i got that as well....

Before adding any of my IMs, ask yourself: Can I ask it in a PM?
Before sending me a PM with questions, Search the forums!
Wanna be ref? Post on my Server Forum
-Kerberos-

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 09:35:52 am »

Whoa this must be important - never seen Bobbe posting that long post in any forums.

I've been using Logitech mx518 for 2 years now - no problems. A decent(good) mouse for gaming and for ex. photoshoop! And the prize is only like 20 euros !

Oh nvm you bought already. :p

PS. Bobbe are you using any programs to modify your mouse - like setpoint?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:38:02 am by -Kerberos- » Logged
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:48:09 am »

Bobbe only posts in two situations:
1) When I force him (e.g. NSL sign up, Duel Comp sign up).
2) When the topic is about mice.

I'll relay your question to him. :p
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 10:35:53 am »

I got my 1st Logitech G7 many years back. When buttons stopped working (or remained pressed Tongue) and feet wore off and batteries died, i bought another one from eBay, like twice the regular price, just cuz it had been discontinued at that time Tongue. I can't use anything else! And now the only one still available on eBay costs $204!

But thankfully G700 appeared to close the gap between wireless and good mice Smiley.

Bobbe
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 10:52:20 am »

PS. Bobbe are you using any programs to modify your mouse - like setpoint?

That's like asking if I'm plugging my external hard drive into a USB 1.0 port.

I think you're misunderstanding something here. Windows supports up to 5 buttons, 250 GHz polling and a certain DPI rate. This is why mice will "work" after you simply plug them in. Gaming mice usually exceed some, if not all of these values by far.
The Setpoint software you mentioned is the standard Logitech mouse driver. If I'd be using my 80 euro mouse without this driver the performance of my mouse would equal (or, if you were using the driver, even be inferior to) that of your 20 euro one. Of course, Setpoint also allows me to use all other features of my mouse such as LED lighting and onboard memory for example, while offering many tools for customization, such as the profile (=button mapping, dpi settings, scrolling speed, etc) and macro editor.

On a sidenote, the onboard memory of my mouse actually makes it possible to use all the buttons without the driver (given that I already created the profile using Setpoint on another PC). However, commands like "minimize window" will not work, since Windows alone doesn't have any keyboard shortcut to minimize a single window.

That being said, there are indeed some who seem to get by without installing their mouse drivers at all. I know at least one of them personally... Tongue
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:13:36 am by Bobbe » Logged
COJ-Suoma
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 05:53:43 pm »

Bobbe, what is the main difference between for example MX518 and G500? G500 has possibility for higher dpi, but other than that I really can not see any difference between this and my old one.

-Mein-
The One and Only
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 08:17:38 pm »

ROCCAT™ Kone [ + ] – Max Customization Gaming Mouse.

MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE
The revolutionary 6000dpi Pro-Aim Laser Sensor, in conjunction with its 10.5 megapixel resolution and 1000Hz polling rate, offers maximum precision, even transmitting lightning fast mouse movements with up to 30Gs of acceleration and with speeds of up to 200ips (5.08m/s) without loss or lag. Thanks to the Tracking & Distance Control Unit, which is now integrated in the laser sensor, the ROCCAT™ Kone[ + ] can also calculate the lift-off distance as well as fine-tune the sensor to suit the mousepad. The result: optimal tracking.

22 MOUSE FUNCTIONS
Thanks to the EasyShift[ + ] button, all the buttons – including the mouse wheel – can be assigned two functions such as macros or other functions. As a result, you now have 22 functions available at any one time instead of the usual 12.

4 LED MULTICOLOR LIGHT SYSTEM
Like before, the light system remains unbeaten. Four multicolor LEDs, together with the enhanced lightpipes and configurable effects, can light up, alternate or pulsate in more than four different colors at the same time. It’s a real eye-catcher on any desktop.

5 GAME PROFILES
You can configure your button assignments, including macros, DPI settings, the sensor sensitivity level and your lighting settings too, and save them to any one of 5 profiles on the 576kB of onboard memory. This allows you to customize your mouse to suit individual games. You can associate each profile with a particular application so the right button assignments, DPI and color settings, etc., are automatically loaded when you start the game. When a profile is set as the Windows Profile, the ROCCAT™ Kone[ + ] will always switch to this profile when you return to Windows after leaving a game or app. Additional profiles can be saved on your hard drive whenever you want, and then loaded to any one of the 5 profile slots using the driver menu.

MACRO MANAGER
Creating and editing your own command sequences is made easy thanks to the highly praised Macro Manager. Predefined macro presets for the top 20 PC games as well as several office apps make it even easier to customize the mouse – plus the new Loop Function now makes it possible to loop macros indefinitely.

SOUND FEEDBACK
The famous ROCCAT voice gives immediate feedback when you change DPI settings, profiles, the volume level or sensitivity setting. As you don’t need to look at an additional display on the screen or on the mouse itself, nothing will distract from the gameplay. It really is as easy at that.

CUSTOMIZE THE WEIGHT
A weight system comprising 4 x 5g weights is included, allowing you to customize the weight in four stages to suit your preferences.

TechSpecs:

Pro-Aim Laser Sensor R2 with up to 6000dpi
1000Hz polling rate
1ms response time
11750fps, 10.5megapixel
30G acceleration
3.8-5m/s (150-200ips)
16-bit data channel
Tracking & Distance Control Unit
72MHz TurboCore processor
576kB onboard memory
2m USB cable