Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2017, 01:17:52 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188528 Posts in 10877 Topics by 17914 Members
Latest Member: Afriken
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Modding Forum
| | |-+  The new units for a new Savage XR :)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The new units for a new Savage XR :)  (Read 6720 times)
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:13:06 pm »

Any1 remember this thread? (http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,12209.0.html)

I've made the 1st unit, usable as melee + ranged siege weapon. It will soon be followed by a corresponding Beasts medium range siege unit having melee as well, the Glider. After these 2 units, if community feedback is not good, i think i may stop with making the others on my list (the link above).

Unfortunately the Mech is not completely finished yet, with normalmaps and all the animations and everything, but these should be enough to get a first look at it. I've built it from scratch, after getting whatever design ideas i liked from "established" mech designs, and tried to integrate it as good as possible with the hums way of doing business, and still seem "viable" and a step forward from ballis and catas.

Here are some clips with different angles. Actually, it's pretty funny walking him ingame Cheesy. I can't wait to play it Cheesy.

http://www.newerth.com/daemon/xr/mech_walk2/mech_walk2.html
http://www.newerth.com/daemon/xr/mech_walk3/mech_walk3.html

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 05:03:13 am »

Really cool mate, well done.

Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:35:15 pm »

I just had an orgasm!
 Wink

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:51:47 pm »

R u into robots? Tongue

$hacaR
"The Mod Machine"
Newerth Donator

Warr!or 4 EVER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 05:14:36 pm »

looks really amazing m8 !!!! great job !

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:34:03 pm »

Had a quick testing session today, hehe. I gotta do those normalmaps soon Tongue.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:40:39 pm by Daemon » Logged

.:.The Sis.:.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:52:32 pm »

Ah, there I am! Smiley
Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:24:40 am »

Daemon, please make the colour tone a bit darker, and increase contrast.
The current textures look a bit washed out.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:52:13 am »

Daemon, please make the colour tone a bit darker, and increase contrast.
The current textures look a bit washed out.

Yeah cuz there are no normalmaps yet, but the shaders were enabled so everything else was lit/shaded.

Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:47:46 am »

My face when seeing this post:

-.-

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 12:16:39 pm »

I never knew what that means Smiley. So i'm assuming it's a good thing ;P.

Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »

whats it weapons and damage?

-if you haven't done them yet, are you thinking about making a seperate melee combo? i.e. jabbing(you could make the left/right arm with weapon attached to it, like this SW speeder on its cannon http://www.wireless-earth.de/private/Models/images/StarWars_Imperial_Speeder_Bike.jpg 
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 06:19:05 pm »

That is extremely easy to do (melee swings or combos). But there's no point in making them unless the final plans for the unit are drawn, and right now, all i know is that it's not gonna undergo any further visual changes and it's gonna have at least one melee hit with about twice the damage of the lego (the one in the 2nd clip). It might have up to 3, depending on the way it is going to be used. It is very hard to use it tho, it moves and turns like a vehicle, meaning it can't spin so you'd have to hit stationary targets like blocked units or buildings. It's hard to aim as well, as it prolly won't have even an aiming window like the balli. Atm it's only having the option to shoot straight forward, mouse movements being restricted to up and down, horizontal corrections having to be made by turning the whole unit, like a cannon. But nothing is final. I see it as more of a tank than a mauler, taking advantage of blocking (or maybe a shield ability).

Before moving to the balancing phase, i need to make the Beasts unit as well, since they both need to be considered when designing their final abilities.

The Beast Glider is supposed to be a stingray/bat-like hovering unit, with 2 sharp claws used for melee and able to launch some energy balls traveling at VERY low speed. These projectiles might be able to pass through trees and/or props, and only explode at its designated range. Where it "lands", it will trigger a wtfhuge splash damage explosion, damaging buildings and units alike. This projectile would be vulnerable to enemy fire, having a hit points value, so you can shoot it down before it blows.

The way both units are designed makes their ranged weapons useless at close range, so even if you can, or want, to do 1-hit-1-kill on enemies, you wouldn't be able to harm them unless using melee.

Graal

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 06:57:52 pm »

. . . i can just imagine someone standing on top of the walker or the flying beast unit and using it as a platform to jump onto buildings or protecting it as it closes.

Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 07:09:14 pm »

That is extremely easy to do (melee swings or combos). But there's no point in making them unless the final plans for the unit are drawn, and right now, all i know is that it's not gonna undergo any further visual changes and it's gonna have at least one melee hit with about twice the damage of the lego (the one in the 2nd clip). It might have up to 3, depending on the way it is going to be used. It is very hard to use it tho, it moves and turns like a vehicle, meaning it can't spin so you'd have to hit stationary targets like blocked units or buildings. It's hard to aim as well, as it prolly won't have even an aiming window like the balli. Atm it's only having the option to shoot straight forward, mouse movements being restricted to up and down, horizontal corrections having to be made by turning the whole unit, like a cannon. But nothing is final. I see it as more of a tank than a mauler, taking advantage of blocking (or maybe a shield ability).

Before moving to the balancing phase, i need to make the Beasts unit as well, since they both need to be considered when designing their final abilities.

The Beast Glider is supposed to be a stingray/bat-like hovering unit, with 2 sharp claws used for melee and able to launch some energy balls traveling at VERY low speed. These projectiles might be able to pass through trees and/or props, and only explode at its designated range. Where it "lands", it will trigger a wtfhuge splash damage explosion, damaging buildings and units alike. This projectile would be vulnerable to enemy fire, having a hit points value, so you can shoot it down before it blows.

The way both units are designed makes their ranged weapons useless at close range, so even if you can, or want, to do 1-hit-1-kill on enemies, you wouldn't be able to harm them unless using melee.

would making a counter weapon work?
-for bali's you have frost temp blaze surge
-for summs you have coil pulse

Too make the unit more insteresting and if possible maybe a robot only missle or something along them lines, it can only harm that unit say 1/5 of hp taken off with eaach hit(give it a decent reload time tho, don't want it to op)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: