Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2017, 05:08:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188663 Posts in 10888 Topics by 17952 Members
Latest Member: Freans
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Server Forum
| | |-+  Archived (-03.11.14)
| | | |-+  USA Referees
| | | | |-+  Homophobic/Misogynistic Speech
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Homophobic/Misogynistic Speech  (Read 758 times)
cutter
Super Hero Member

Easy as 123

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:48:07 am »

Hey JmZ, a player named Psychocola has brought this to attention.

I've had some bad experiences on the Leet US server over the past couple days, mostly due to one player, but I have no demos of them to show, because I did not realize until today that Savage had an "automatically record demos" option.  So instead, for servers that do not already have the following rules, I offer a few suggestions that I (perhaps naively) hope would help prevent these things from happening again.

No homophobic or misogynist remarks.

I got into a heated argument with this player over what he did (and I realize that in itself was a breach of the rules; I would understand if I was muted or kicked for it), and he called my team "fags" and a "bitch woman team", among other insults.  Racism is already a kickable offense, why not homophobia or misogyny?  I realize not everybody shares my politics, and I don't expect anybody to like me, but I would like to play Savage knowing that somebody who insults my sexuality or my gender will be given the same treatment as somebody who insults my race.

I've been thinking about it, and I want to re-ask for a rule specifically against anti-homosexual remarks.

I quote from the rules of newerth.com's forums:
Also note that using the word "gay" to describe something as stupid/lame/dumb is not allowed

Why not have the same rule for newerth.com's official servers?

I absolutely agree that it's expected that some players will use anti-homosexual slurs in a video game, but if people started to be muted or kicked (or just warned) for it, surely the prevalence would go down?  I'd imagine that more people would switch to other insults rather than boycott a server that doesn't allow it.

Here was my response.

About misogynistic and homophobic comments, I am fully on your side Psycho. Unfortunately, due to the fact that this game is predominantly 10-25 year old males, the chances of the community following such a rule are marginal at best.

Opinions?

Zorn
XR Mapper

And who are YOU?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:51:40 am »

Imo rules are rules and they are there to be followed - without any exceptions. It doesn't matter how old or young the people are, who are playing the game. We (Newerth) have rules and they are there for some reasons. If anybody has a problem with that or isn't mature enough to accept the existing rules - just kick this people. I mean, in real life there are rules too and these guys can follow them very well - i dont understand why we should let them pass only because this is a virtual game. Just only because we are on virtual reality this doesn't mean, that we can treat other human beings without any kind of respect.

Don't talk about how to handle them, just act and instruct those guys to calm down and follow the rules of Newerth. Ohterwise ban those unmature kids.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says: 'I'm possible'!"
Audrey Hepburn

cutter
Super Hero Member

Easy as 123

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »

The issue isn't concerning the rules on Newerth, those are pretty well established. On the Leets server, there are no rules concerning those types of comments. Sure, could say that this rule covers it.

Quote from: layers are required to maintain respectable levels and should not whine, flame, moan, and/or complain about other players. Any kind of racism is not tolerated. Saying nagger, nig, jew and such refering to racism is kickable.[/quote

But, people WILL flame or spout off acrimony. But at the moment, calling someone a bitch or fag is at the same level as calling someone an ass or retard. Anyways, if I start to enforce this topic's rule, it will be hard to do if all of the other referees aren't onboard with me. Hence, we need an official rule change to start doing that.

JmZ
Teh JmZ
Gameserver Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:10:27 pm »

I understand his point, but generally when players say something like 'fag' or 'faggot', they don't specifically mean a gay person, they just say it without meaning, a generic insult.

People have been throwing the word around for years, and 'bitch woman team' is just another random string of words.
I agree it's insulting but don't you think it is a bit OTT to assume it is referring to 'homosexuals'?

Most of the US community are mature guys in their 20s or older, they know to keep chat clean and often do, their only insults are just random words of frustration or fun.

You are but a speck of dust in the vastness of space, waiting to meet your end in the reality you created.
cutter
Super Hero Member

Easy as 123

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 07:02:57 pm »

About misogynistic and homophobic comments, I am fully on your side Psycho. Unfortunately, due to the fact that this game is predominantly 10-25 year old males, the chances of the community following such a rule are marginal at best.

I agree JmZ, that's why I said this.

Maybe only in cases where the terminology is used in a way that is blatantly homophobic or misogynistic? Obviously, words from those categories seem to be everyone's favorite insults, so if used just as a general insult, then it's fine there. But if someone comes out and just has a rant about them, then are mutes fair game?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: