Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2017, 01:20:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188528 Posts in 10877 Topics by 17914 Members
Latest Member: Afriken
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Modding Forum
| | |-+  Savage XR textures
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Savage XR textures  (Read 11495 times)
JustSomeNewb
JustSomeTextureEditingIdiot

Life's a bitch. Get use to it.

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2010, 09:32:18 am »

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

Post Textures of witch you think they need improvement.
Feel free to leave comments on what you think of textures, and where you think I messed up.

Going to make this my little status log, where I will post a log of what I did so far, and what problems I am aware off. At the moment it isn't much, but I expect it will grow over time.

-Log:

01/01/2011

Started project.
Waiting for access to the original .psd files.

02/01/2011

Got original PSD's from the tiledgrassroads set. Thanks for that
Will start working on it today, hopefully have one or 2 done by the end of the day

03/01/2011

Finished first 4 textures, hoping to get a total of 10 done today. Took some time to get use to a new technique, but now im into it I'm finishing textures in about 10 min. a piece.

Decided not only to make the textures tile better, but to give them an overall smoother look.

Edit: Finished 12 textures, I'm starting to convert them into .s2g files for testing, and hopefully release my first set by the end of this week!!!

07/01/2011

Finished working on the raw edits in the TiledGrassRoads set, just need to work on some tileling issues!

17/01/2011

I'm sorry for the long break. I uploaded the textures so far, its not finished tho, still need to work on tileing issues.
Please tell me what you think of it, and be honest, if you don't like it, tell me, and please include why. If anyone has ideas what I need to work on, or try improving, please post

-Texturelist:

-Know textures that could use improvement:

The Tiledgrassroads set
Grass set

-Done:

None

-Downloads:

TiledGrassRoads (not finished)

-HOW TO INSTALL

Download the texturefile you wish to use. Then open your savage0.s2z (found in the savage XR/game folder, the location of the savage XR folder is chosen by you when you install the game) with WinRar (right click, open with, select winrar). Then browse to /textures/terrain/whatever-textureset-you-want-to-install. Delete this file. Then open the downloaded file with winrar (do not close savage0.s2z) with WinRar and drag the folder into the savage0.s2z file.

Please type problems, and explain them clearly. I will not resond to something as texture BlaBlaBla looks bad. Also, a picture is wortth more than a thousand words
JustSomeNewb

* tiledgrassroads.rar (4092.17 KB - downloaded 84 times.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 12:37:56 pm by JustSomeNewb » Logged
Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:53:28 pm »

open savage0.s2z with winrar or sommit like that
then search in /textures and use the .s2g converter (check download section) to open it.

Faun
carn =/= hax
XR Dev Helper

Hear a flute in the forest...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 01:16:31 pm »

Hello!
ambitious project you got there, good luck!  Afro

JustSomeNewb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 09:30:39 pm »

@Trigardon

Ok, Thanks, I'l give it a try

@Faun

Thanks, I think I'l need it :p
JustSomeNewb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 10:50:36 pm »

ok, heres the result so far, not finished do , but visual improvements are there

before, notice the reocuring darker line

after, notice how the dark line is much lighter, and the texture is more consistent, making it look better over large surfaces

gonna work some more on it tomorom (its 23:49 here, 11 minuits to newyear)
might do some other textures too, just let me know wich need imporvement

dont know who decides on this, but it might be cool after further improvement to add this too the actual savage XR, making it more than just a very small mod
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 01:21:12 am »

Hey justsomenewb,

nice to see you are having a crack at working on some terrain textures. I just thought I would point out, that with the terrain texture you have modified it belongs to a set of tiles. The tiledgrassroads set to be precise. What this means, is that you have to modify every single tile in the set so that they all match up, otherwise any map that has roads or dirt sections used from that tile set will look funny. As it's a very common set and a lot of maps use it (eden2 being the most obvious one to think of) if you don't fix them all, you will have a lot of maps looking funny.

Incidentally, what are you using to manipulate the textures? Are you converting the s2g files into another format and then back again? This is known to create a fairly large amount of quality loss during the conversion process. I have access to original .psd's for the tiledgrassroads set, please let me know if you want them and ill float them somewhere for you.

JustSomeNewb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 09:00:04 am »

Aneurysm

Thank you for pointing out that I have to edit all the different textures. I didnt know, but now that I do Know, its just a matter of editing those too.

I am using Notausgans .s2g converter. If it does mean high quality loss, it might be a good thing tto get the originals.Thanks for that.

Just a question, Is there a map editor available for free ware? If so, i think it would spare me a lot of time, as I can just make a map with all textures of the Tiledgrassroads, and just have a look whether or not it works well, instead of checking 32 different maps to see the result.

Also, I think the best approach for the roads on the grass would to be usin the base grass texture, and just start from scrach, editing in the different roads, instead of me having to fine-tune the edges of the different textures one by one.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:02:29 am by JustSomeNewb » Logged
Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 11:15:28 am »

Aneurysm, any way to make the .psd s "open source"? That'd be great.

JustSomeNewb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 06:08:34 pm »

I paused my work until I know wether or not I can get my hands on the original .psd's.

Decided to make this an all-round overhaul, everyone can just post what they think needs improvement, and I'l look into it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 08:11:30 pm by JustSomeNewb » Logged
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 01:41:53 am »

Ok I will link you guys here, however I must place a disclaimer, this is technically skope's intellectual property, so if he has an issue with me posting it, I will have to take it down.

www.newerth.com/skope/TiledGrassroads_source.zip

@JustSomeNewb

a. Yes there is an editor in both Linux and Windows versions, not for the Mac however. If you look in your /Savage directory you will see an "editor.bat" file that will launch the editor.

b. To address the last sentence in your post, the .psd's are templates that have the grass textures on one layer, with the dirt (road) textures on another. This means that all you have to do to match your new grass to the set, is swap out the grass texture for each tile in the set.

Finally I guess I should mention that the reason why I have access to these textures is because I am working on new textures that will hopefully see the light of day in the upcoming XR release. Two of the main texture sets being an update on the existing Tiledgrassroads set and the wheat set

...so stay tuned.

JustSomeNewb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 08:37:25 am »

I will; thanks for the post.

I understand that the textures can be taken down, but I can live with it.

And when you say new textures, do you mean new textures completely, or an improvement from the textures already there?

EDIT: I can not seem to find the file Handgrass2.psd and NG_dirt.psd Is this because they are the 2 base textures, or did they just not download?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:47:20 am by JustSomeNewb » Logged
Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 01:37:43 pm »

Thank you Aneurysm and SKOPE.

JustSomeNewb

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 04:02:59 pm »

I have a question:
If i were to make a completely new textureset, and just put it in the terrain folder, would savage recognize it as a texture and allow me to use it in-game?

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 05:26:24 pm »

Well, if you want to play on an empty server with yourself you can. However if you want anyone else to be able to play on a map with new textures, then it needs to be on everyone's version.

To answer your earlier question, new textures, not updating existing ones.

JustSomeNewb

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 05:57:51 pm »

Ok, thanks for all the help, I'l start the real work of trying to improve the existing one's right now
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: