Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 07:31:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188624 Posts in 10884 Topics by 17944 Members
Latest Member: Dawnbringer
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Announcements
| |-+  Development News
| | |-+  Mohican's Xmas
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mohican's Xmas  (Read 50636 times)
Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2010, 02:48:22 am »

Xmas is coming soon!!!

And so does the opportunity to spend some quality time on the XR source code!

I have decided upon the following targets to spend the cold weeks of winter:
(1) Track down and fix the performance issues observed in RC3 (hopefully solving swing-throughs).
(2) Fully document the melee code, so admins can discuss how we could improve lag performance.
(3) A special surprise for people interested in improving the bots AI.

Stay tuned for some news in the next 2-3 months!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: XR PATCH (26-11-2010)

(1) Fixed bug with NetCode Versioning.
     This should solve most "invalid sv frame" problems (apart from demo recording).
(2) NEW: Interpolation of frames for Melee Attacks.
     Server admin can change the number of interpolated frames with "sv_meleeInterpFrames" (default is 3).
(3) NEW: Visual aid for Melee Attacks timing.
     The crosshair now changes colour when a melee (or ranged) attack is effective.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: XR PATCH (28-11-2010)

(1) Fixed Revive bug, that crept into the previous patch.

Update: XR PATCH (29-11-2010)

(1) Melee Interpolation now applying also to Blocks.
(2) Fixed Auto-Attack speed to match SFE (Thanks to Enliven for his help!)

Important: You need to re-bind the Mine/Repair key!!!

Update: XR PATCH (03-12-2010)

This one is a "trial update".
In theory you should see a drastic improvement of XR's performance when in large battles (I do on my PC!).
Please let me know immediately if you have ANY problems.

(1) Drastic improvement of XR Performance
(2) Auto-reconnect function (by Hakugei).

Update: XR PATCH (06-12-2010)

(1) More improvement to XR Performance
(2) Improved Minimap display of Squads
(3) Implemented Top Squad Award!
(4) Fixed Duplicate Names Bugs (by Hakugei)
(5) Added VIP logging for server admins (by Hakugei)

If you guys like what I am doing to improve Savage, please press "like" at the top of my Mohican facebook page.
Thanks you!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:46:44 am by Django » Logged

Cross
Savage

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:33:16 am »

"(1) Track down and fix the performance issues observed in RC3 (hopefully solving swing-throughs).
(2) Fully document the melee code, so admins can discuss how we could improve lag performance."

Wow.. thank you. I have been waiting about two years to hear this. I believe this will improve the game greatly, if you are able to identify the problems and make the melee smoother, and crisper.

Oh and Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:34:53 am by Cross » Logged

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God." Ephesians 2:8
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 12:26:06 pm »

Great news!

In august 2010 I was trying to compile older versions of Savage XR to create benchmarks of demos recorded on small and big servers. But kinda every version in SVN history was broken because there were missing objects or code. Hence I couldn't find out what update exactly causes how much performance loss.

But I know: Savage XR Beta 2, the version released around November 2008, had around 50% better performance than Savage XR RC3. A difference that was most noticable on big servers.

The 6 reasons for swingthroughs are:
- fake swingtroughs: people not being aware of their hitbox width (a problem for newbs & noobs)
- too high mouse sensitivity (mainly an USA problem)
- low client fps (mainly an XR problem)
- low default server fps (only a problem with high mouse sensitivity)
- packet loss
- server lag

The reason why ex2 stayed in good memory melee wise is:
ex2 servers running on 40 fps and a client that could deal with it (unlike SFE/XR clients which lag with more than 20 server fps).
Had nothing to do with Jebus being especially brilliant.

If you want to improve melee, improve the client performance first. This will cause the most significant difference. Find out what went wrong between November 2008 and 2010. And remember, the performance issues of XR aren't really a graphics problem, it's more about the game code working extremely inefficient and requests holding up the frames from being outputted. Testing the performance on big servers (with many clients and requests) is crucial.

Smiley
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:52:38 pm by H3027 » Logged

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 01:11:09 pm »

There's a lot of useful info and insights in your post, thx Tirz!

Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 01:19:45 pm »

I think this is a right step into the right direction but really...

Fixing Melee is necessary but if you ask me what savage needs most currently is a performance patch...
Not many users like to play savage with ~20-40 fps so improving this would be much better right now than melee fixes...

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:58:35 pm »

We might have an update on the hitbox thingie Tongue.

Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 05:00:33 am »

Some interesting findings:

I connected to an XR server with SFE and recorded a short demo.

The demo played correctly on SFE, EX2, and RC1.
It played partially on RC2, and not at all on RC3.

The error messages returned were typically: "Invalid sv frame".
You also get such messages when connecting to an SFE server with an XR RC3 client...

Cross
Savage

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 06:44:50 am »

I notice that error often actually, in fact I just joined Leet now and in the console it reads, Invalid sv frame 49608. I think at one point my entire console was spammed with the invalid sv frame message, could have been another error but I'm pretty sure it was sv frame.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God." Ephesians 2:8
Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 07:36:24 am »

I notice that error often actually, in fact I just joined Leet now and in the console it reads, Invalid sv frame 49608. I think at one point my entire console was spammed with the invalid sv frame message, could have been another error but I'm pretty sure it was sv frame.

We're onto something!
Each "invalid sv frame" is a server frame that is ignored! You can imagine how that would affect melee...
I am making my way through revisions of the code to track down this problem.

Mohican
Order of the Stick
Former XR Dev
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 11:42:42 am »

Please let me know which Leet server, and what version of XR you are using (testing? production?).
Cheers.

Cross
Savage

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 01:27:33 pm »

Awesome glad to see one of the problems is identified.

As of RIGHT now I have whatever the newest update is, and I've noticed the sv frame issues at least as long as I've had RC3, it could have been before to as well but I'm not sure about that. Also yeah I'm using the production client, I really have no idea if the test client is still in work because I took a 6 month break and just came back recently, and haven't seen any updates about it on the forum.

Mainly Leet USA and Leet Duels are about the only servers I play on, I'll check the Leet Newb every now and then but this problem definitely happens on Leet USA, not positive about Duels since I haven't tested or checked.

For now on as I'm playing I will frequently check my console and see if this error keeps popping up and on which server.

jaguar
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 01:50:56 pm »

Wait. You made a developer blog post about what you think you will get done in xmas?
Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 01:54:00 pm »

Wait. You made a developer blog post about what you think you will get done in xmas?

<3

H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 02:23:27 pm »

Server SFE*
MrMatt on the right side is using XR, Shagroth on the left SFE.

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
Chiprel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 02:54:20 pm »

from what I observed it only applies to auto_attack.

Xr serv- xr client (rc3) - all ok
sfe serv-xr client (rc3) - slower auto attack(all ok while spamming attack manually)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: