Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 10:44:19 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188623 Posts in 10884 Topics by 17943 Members
Latest Member: Yustus123321
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Modding Forum
| | |-+  I would like to start a mod...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I would like to start a mod...  (Read 5864 times)
Shadic1910
Snaker Gear Solid

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2010, 06:10:45 pm »

Ok i would like to start a mod but i am only 14 years old and only know a little something about the
Programming Language C. Some1 could explain me about Savage and how does its language work?
I have already read the modding wiki about savage xr but i really need something more simple to understand.
Can some1 give me the info I need?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:28:56 pm by Shadic1910 » Logged
Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:13:55 pm »

The answer to nearly all of your questions is on IRC.

irc.newerth.com
#savagemods

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:16:46 pm »

I'll gladly help and I have a lot of useful information for you.

However, momentarily, I'm not available. Wait till later, if you please.
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:04:35 pm »

Alright.
As Trig said, our savagemods IRC channel is always a good place to ask for help.
Someone is always there.

Apart from that, Trigardon and I are in the middle of writing a tutorial specifically to guide through modding.

So my question is, what sort of mod are you hoping to achieve?

Regardless which one, open your "Savage" folder - within is a "game" folder - and within that folder is a file named "savage0.s2z".
This file is merely an archive where all the important files (moddable) are hidden. Rename "savage0.s2z" to "savage0.rar" and notice how it works exactly as an other archive/rar file. Extract all the files inside into your "game" folder.

If you want to re-texture, the "models" folder is interesting.
Messing with objects and states, the "scripts" folder is interesting.
Wanting to actually scipt, you'll need to find the "scripts" folder inside the "objects" folder.

That's the gist of it. I'd advise you to mess around with values (changing existant objects/states/values) and seeing what happens. Catch me on IRC when I have more time for a proper introduction. Smiley
Shadic1910
Snaker Gear Solid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 12:26:51 am »

ok Hakugei I will try but three things:
I am not a good moddler, neither a good texturer but for the future I gonna try to be a programmer.
Second the Irc Where should I open it? In Savage XR or my web browser? And how can I open it in my web browser?(Mine is Firefox)
Third i already knew about the *.s2z file extention i already knew about it and there is another way to open it (just open it directly by WinRar or another decopressor) but thx about the renaming tip.

About the mod:
It is about two guys: Shadic(me) and Deblis(a friend) who fought a long time ago to get the power on two stones:
the first one is Dementic Stone and the second one is Demonic Stone.
Those two were lost a very long time ago by the babylonians and hold a very strong power but can only be used once or the balance of the universe would twist and they would be all destroyed.

About the tech stuff:
Ok for now what i really need is the help about the language of Savage XR and a moddler (or some1 who teaches me how to) and a texturer (or, again, some1 who teaches me how to).
And about the buildings and that stuff I am going to think about it too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:31:52 am by Shadic1910 » Logged
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 01:45:19 am »

Second the Irc Where should I open it? In Savage XR or my web browser? And how can I open it in my web browser?(Mine is Firefox)

IRC - Internet Relay Chat.

http://www.mirc.com/get.html
Download Mirc - free to use forever (even after the trial period ends).
Add a server to the list "irc.s2games.com" and connect to the channel "#savagemods".
(For more information, check the mirc site on how to connect. :p)

Third i already knew about the *.s2z file extention i already knew about it and there is another way to open it (just open it directly by WinRar or another decopressor) but thx about the renaming tip.

The main reason I rename and extract, is because any extracted files will be ignored for the sake of the same named file within the savage0.s2z. Thus, when I'm modding/scripting, I rename it so all extracted files are loaded instead (which is where I do my scripting).

About the mod:
It is about two guys: Shadic(me) and Deblis(a friend) who fought a long time ago to get the power on two stones:
the first one is Dementic Stone and the second one is Demonic Stone.
Those two were lost a very long time ago by the babylonians and hold a very strong power but can only be used once or the balance of the universe would twist and they would be all destroyed.

Seems like you have the background story figured out. However, this little paragraph doesn't tell me anything about the technical necessities that arrise. I need more details. :p

About the tech stuff:
Ok for now what i really need is the help about the language of Savage XR and a moddler (or some1 who teaches me how to) and a texturer (or, again, some1 who teaches me how to).

I can help with the objects, states and scripting - and general modding questions. I can also pitch in with direct script help/solutions if the need be. Perhaps I'll show you the little part of my tutorial involving scripting permature to get you going.
Daemon "could" help with models, but he's busy on Savage Heroes. Perhaps he can link you to some tutorials and a model database.
Mefix could help if you're lucky enough, ask him - tutorials, hints, models.
Shadic1910
Snaker Gear Solid

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:11:37 pm »

ok i am very greatfull for all the tips
and for the irc i got it today thk you!
another thing i would love to see that tut that ur making (the greater the better) and that is not all i am going to need the tuts and models database from daemon.
and another question how long does it takes to create a whole moddel? (stupid question i know...)
Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 03:17:35 pm »

why would you need all models from daemon!? O_o

Shadic1910
Snaker Gear Solid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 03:18:57 pm »

you didnt understood me
i need the tuts from daemon that is all.
Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 03:24:38 pm »

you didnt understood me
i need the tuts from daemon that is all.

what tuts? Did Daemon ever write any tutorial?

Shadic1910
Snaker Gear Solid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 03:42:07 pm »

Look at the lines bellow
About the tech stuff:

I can help with the objects, states and scripting - and general modding questions. I can also pitch in with direct script help/solutions if the need be. Perhaps I'll show you the little part of my tutorial involving scripting permature to get you going.
Daemon "could" help with models, but he's busy on Savage Heroes. Perhaps he can link you to some tutorials and a model database.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:29:49 pm by Hakugei » Logged
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 03:51:36 pm »

Look at the lines bellow
About the tech stuff:

That was written by Hakugei not Daemon, and he was suggesting that if Daemon had any spare time (unlikely) he might be able to help you in regards to modeling questions/queries.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:30:17 pm by Hakugei » Logged

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 07:34:12 pm »

Fixed the broken quotes.

To clarify:
Daemon barely has any time, so his direct help (modeling, animating, explaining) is very unlikely.
However, Daemon might have tutorials (not self-written, though he is in the middle of compiling a tutorial on the modding wiki), since, he had to learn it himself from somewhere.
Also, Daemon may know a site or two with references and a model database.

That is what I mean.
Mchief
Continuously leaping over Blazing Chasms
Newerth Council

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 08:04:35 pm »

Do you have an YIM? I can send u a nice 100 mb book for 3d MAX 9.  Smiley
Trigardon
Forum Administrator
Legendary Member

Demonic Monster

View Profile WWW