Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 09:29:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
180076 Posts in 10266 Topics by 16885 Members
Latest Member: PYLLIOK
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Support Forum
| | |-+  Ping jumping, animation lags
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ping jumping, animation lags  (Read 2043 times)
-Kerberos-

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2010, 02:10:12 pm »

Since SFE isn't working for my Windows 7, I had to start using XR and it turned up to be as unstable as I thought

SFE:
My ping was solid 80
FPS never dropped under 150
Hit and block animations were perfectly timed

XR:
Ping is 60 but time to time jump 500 for 10 secs or so
FPS 150-100, dropping under 60 during lagspikes and, depending on map, when looking actionfull direction.
Hit and block animations come late. It's not huge lag, but for me it is because I use lot melee as human and beast.
Also when not using minimap FPS rises 40-50

Some information

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2,33 GHz

RAM: 4,00 GB  (3,19 GB usable)

Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 GTS
gpx driver version: Nvidia 196.21

With SFE I had no any problems, and now I don't feel to play Savage at all. Is there anything I can do, or do I have to wait that you guys get XR working properly?

thank you
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:13:43 pm »

Hit and block animations come late.

What do you mean by that? That there is a delay between clicking the mouse button and the animation being displayed?

With SFE I had no any problems, and now I don't feel to play Savage at all. Is there anything I can do, or do I have to wait that you guys get XR working properly?
When did you have SFE? Are you sure a SFE install would work perfectly on your PC and your current connection, as it is now? I may be wrong, but ping problems are pretty much NOT XR's fault.

My black list: Mein (hax0r, troll), Slayer (multiclanner), biggeruniverse (XR thief, troll), Robbo (thug and liar), Thrill (junkie)
-Kerberos-

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »

Yes, XR feels to react slower on my orders as I have told before. And when I go near enemy that hits me, the animation comes after than the real hit. I mean my hp runs down before I see the axe hitting me. We are talking about milliseconds now but it really disturbs and ruins my melee. SFE never had problems like that. And this was same when I tried XR with Windows XP.

My connection is exactly same than I had when I was using SFE, therefore I'm pretty sure it's about XR. + I have never had any similar problem with SFE. ++ I'm not the only one with this same problem.
But yes, I can't test if SFE works well since I can't start it..
biggeruniverse
Disrespectful Newerth Coder and Occasional Admin

Savage Days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 06:25:56 pm »

Since SFE isn't working for my Windows 7, I had to start using XR and it turned up to be as unstable as I thought

I don't feel compelled to help you.

https://twitter.com/SavageRebirth
Quote from: Helios
You mean an already 7 yr old game is going to die eventually?  Good call there Nostradumbass
Trigardon
Wiki Admin
Newerth Donator
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 06:49:31 pm »

I don't feel compelled to help you.

/sign

-Kerberos-

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 07:27:45 pm »

And there it is seen again.

All you want to see are the good sides of XR, but god sake if somebody says anything bad about it.. It really feels like you can't admit there's something wrong with it, that it doesn't work so well for everybody.

I'm not saying developers have done bad job, of course I appreciate their efforts but anyone who is active these days hears everyday complains about XR and XR servers. And still I keep seeing how all complained problems are denied, not seen.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:35:57 pm by -Kerberos- » Logged
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 10:04:03 pm »

It has nothing to do with people saying bad things about XR. In fact, people were whining about SFE too. Much of the same reasons, in fact. Melee is not like it was 3 years before, animations are not smooth, graphics are old, you can exploit, there are all kinds of bugs etc. Every bad thing you can say about XR you can say about SFE, except the performance loss you get when you enable all the new shaders and improved graphics and stuff.

I just wish you test your machine with SFE too, along with XR running on a reasonably tested OS like WIN XP. Savage XR can't just start creating random lag spikes on its own. If anything, it reduces the ping. So if there is something causing this, please test everything NEW thoroughly, THEN decide which one is responsible, instead of taking the easy way of deciding its XR's fault. Win7, LAN drivers, Firewall/antivirus, malware and god knows how many other things can create lag spikes.

My black list: Mein (hax0r, troll), Slayer (multiclanner), biggeruniverse (XR thief, troll), Robbo (thug and liar), Thrill (junkie)
Dazza

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 07:37:00 am »

Your Problem may be with windows 7 not XR, I have a similar problem but I had XR installed first and it worked great untill I installed windows 7 then I had problems with lag and fps on the XR server, I made a thread about it but know one has posted anything yet.

Here is the link if you want to have a look
http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,10154.0.html

I want to try update my network drivers but I have no idea what to do. Also if you have v-sync off, try and turn it on, it will cap your fps at 60 but it should help with the lag a bit, at least it helped a bit for me anyway.
biggeruniverse

Savage Days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 07:47:21 am »

Your Problem may be with windows 7 not XR, I have a similar problem but I had XR installed first and it worked great untill I installed windows 7 then I had problems with lag and fps on the XR server, I made a thread about it but know one has posted anything yet.

Here is the link if you want to have a look
http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,10154.0.html

I want to try update my network drivers but I have no idea what to do. Also if you have v-sync off, try and turn it on, it will cap your fps at 60 but it should help with the lag a bit, at least it helped a bit for me anyway.

Instead of turning v-sync on, open the console in-game and type
Code:
set host_maxfps 60
This will do the same thing, but not use v-sync as the limiter.

You mean an already 7 yr old game is going to die eventually?  Good call there Nostradumbass
-Kerberos-

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 11:43:08 am »

Well Daemon, If you remember I have tried XR when I had Windows XP. And if you remember, I had lag problems with it too. (not the similar ping jumping, but different lag.) God knows how many times I have told about it when you asked whats wrong with XR. You might think I've been only speaking bullshit but no, I really had problems with it.
Why would I liked to keep using SFE if XR had worked perfectly for me? XR is indeed better-looking, its melee system is promised to be smoother and all good improvements, but it just doesn't work correctly. Never did. And I have no idea WHY, nobody was never able to answer.

And when it comes to SFE, how am I going to test SFE since it doesn't support my Win7? There would be no problem to me if SFE worked.

You are right, the reason might aswell be in my equipment but why do I notice the difference between SFE and XR with my roommates PC too? He's using XP. Could it be in our network? But then again why it doesn't affect on SFE?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes Dazza, you are right, my problem might be because of the win7. I don't know, but is XR completed yet? There are many ppl who have problems when running XR on Win7.

I have tried to host_maxfps 60 and forcing vsync on, but it still makes same FPS drops. What difference does vsync make in Savage?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:50:38 am by -Kerberos- » Logged
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 02:29:13 pm »

Then XR might not be for you. Stick to SFE.

biggeruniverse

Savage Days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 02:46:01 pm »

And when it comes to SFE, how am I going to test SFE since it doesn't support my Win7? There would be no problem to me if SFE worked.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 02:57:21 pm »

I mean using a second partition/install.

-Kerberos-

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 03:14:54 pm »

What do you mean by that?
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 03:40:54 pm »

http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-with-xp-or-vista

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: