Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 14, 2018, 07:43:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189435 Posts in 10976 Topics by 18160 Members
Latest Member: nigdarogp
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Newerth Hosted Competitions
| |-+  Newerth Duel Competition (NDC)
| | |-+  Duel Competition Information Season VI
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duel Competition Information Season VI  (Read 6214 times)
Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2016, 10:58:27 pm »

Welcome to the Sixth Duel Competition! This is a group staged tournament which ends with a single elimination. This is a human versus beast tournament only.
Go Here to Sign up and compete.

Current phase: Group stages

Signing up to the Duel Competition: Anyone who wants to play, can sign up until 25th March 20GMT. All you need to do is go to the Sign up Topic thread, and sign up with a valid Nickname. This Nickname will be the one you have to fight with. Once you have signed up you are able to leave us any time if you have to (all previous stats however will be wiped clean).

Agreeing on a time and date: The Competition Admin will post the group stage match ups as the sign up has been completed. As soon as the Match-Ups are online you have until the 9th April 12 GMT (14CEST) to play and report the result. Its up to the participants to organise their match. The Finals will take place on the 10th April 17GMT

Server to duel: We want you to use this server only: Duel Competition. Password: duels
Please note in the event of the server being down, contact Feathers, Tirza or Groentjuh.

Playing the Duels: Tier 3 Units only! Every Player plays 20 Duels with each race. Players shall use the main duel area to play their duels.

-XR servers will be XR1.1 and the player client must be XR 1.1 [if changes feel weird make sure you go into you options and transfer duel senses and remember to change your preferred fps.host_maxfps 999(Replace 999 with a different number if you want a limited amount.)]

Scheduling
If no players schedule both players lose automatically. And takes 40 to there death tally.
If both players schedule but can't come to a conclusion on when they will play, then they must play 18gmt the day before the final competition takes place.
If a player attempts to schedule and gets no response after the upcoming fixture, the player that doesn't attempt to schedule gets an instant lose, while the other gets an instant win (the loser takes 40 deaths).
To enter the final competition you must have completed all allocated duels in your group.

Submitting the results: Post in your allocated group thread.

Disputes: Disputes are sorted out by the Admin only, which is me (I'm not participating in the tourney). We suggest that you demo-record/screenshot your duels and results. Post the dispute here

Hacking: Absolutely no cheating. No tolerance against Cheaters. If you cheat you are disqualified. This also includes using referee powers, for example: Chiprel someone in a duel. For further information check out the cheats and hacking thread.

Forfeiting in Duel: Participant wins that singular duel.

Tournament Structure: Group Stages which ends in a Single Elimination. Win: 3 points, Draw: 1 point, Lose: 0 points. I will use a RNG or something of the equivalent to place participants in two or four groups, as evenly as possible. Top two of each four groups or top four of each two groups will go into a Final Single Elimination Style Tourney:- http://challonge.com/duelcompeuVI
How people get placed into groups is dependant on how many people sign up.
-During the finals; if a player has failed to turn up, then the person below him in the group stages can take his place i.e. 2nd placed person doesn't show, the 3rd placed person takes part(if he's available).

In Case of a Tie: You must play an extra 5 duels per race, straight after the original match was played. If a tie continues, repeat the 5 extra duels again and again until a winner emerges. (This is only relevant in the Single Elimination part which happens after the group stages, do not have a tie breaker during the group stages)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:17:29 pm by Feathers » Logged
Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 08:04:40 pm »

Groups are up! Post your results in that thread as well please! You have until the 8th April to complete the duels.
Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 01:01:14 pm »

I'll update tables tonight after you guys have dueled more.
Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 09:55:52 am »

Jazzking has replaced Rio in G2, Englishslug added to G3, Trigardon added to G4. Groups now have even numbers; there will be no more replacing/adding people. Best of luck!
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 06:45:44 pm »

Can competitors duel on a different server if they both agree? UK server tends to get better ping for many players.

Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 07:42:26 pm »

Can competitors duel on a different server if they both agree? UK server tends to get better ping for many players.

Nope
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 05:37:58 am »

Even for europeans the UK server is better on average. London is Europe's main network hub, and many people's connection from the other side of Europe will route to London to get to Germany.

I made a ping chart which averages the ping from most major european cities.  Obviously UK is much better for north americans too.

RotterdamNL178
LondonUK172
CologneDE913
StockholmSWE3028
IrelandIE2712
BarcelonaES4452
MilanoIT1520
MunichDE1520
ParisFR219
BrusselsBE1410
CopenhagenDA2724
ViennaAT1724
ZurichCH1122
WarsawPL3232
MoscowRU6552
IstanbulTR6054
Average26.3123.88

I hope you will reconsider and perhaps Groentjuh could host a duel comp server in the UK. Ofc I'm biased on this issue. The biggest reason for me is I think my friend Legacy could win finals in the UK. But the facts are on my side.

Source:
https://www.site24x7.com/ping-test.html

Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 12:12:16 pm »

Jazzking, the server is staying where it is. I'm not moving it so you get a -15 better ping, especially in the middle of the tournament.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:20:56 pm by Feathers » Logged
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 07:01:36 pm »

Alright.

Purple-Haze

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 10:17:52 am »

Heya! I m a little late. but i hope i can still play the duel contest!
Would be great!

Purple-Haze
Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 12:42:44 pm »

Heya! I m a little late. but i hope i can still play the duel contest!
Would be great!

Purple-Haze

There will be no more replacing/adding people. Best of luck!

Sorry!
SavageLegacy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 03:43:55 am »

Literally cannot understand why you would not allow us to duel on a seperate server if BOTH PARTICIPANTS agreed. What does it matter if it's played on that specific server versus the united martial arena server. Anyone from the US is already at a severe disadvantage from ping, why go out of your way to enforce an unnecessary rule and make it worse? And as jazzking said, most europeans still get better ping on a UK server. The savage community is already small enough, why make some who would want to participate no longer have the motivation they would before?
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 06:45:27 am »

Maybe Feathers has not wanted to seem biased since he's from the UK. A lot of people assume Germany is better because it's in the geographic center. But the center of european internet is the UK. That's because 99% of international traffic uses undersea cables (they are easy to lay down), and the UK is on an island.

It's primarily Germany and her close neighbors like Switzerland and Austria that benefits from the German server. It's no coincidence that a German has won 5 of the last 6 major duel competitions. The bias needs to end, and while I understand the need for mid-tournament consistency, I'll look into hosting a UK tournament a few months from now. Perhaps I'll also make a thread to gauge interest in a US duel comp.

Also, some people like to point out that this is a "European" competition for European players (since when does newerth=europe?). But in my eyes it lowers the prestige of the event and greatly diminishes the winner's claim to being the best if Europeans refuse to be challenged in a slightly fairer setting against america's best.

Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 10:18:54 am »

Please stop making drama, there isn't a grand conspiracy going on nor any bias.

I'll look into hosting a UK tournament a few months from now. Perhaps I'll also make a thread to gauge interest in a US duel comp.
Best of luck getting US players to play, take a look at the last few seasons and you'll see why I gave up on organising something for the US community.

Also, some people like to point out that this is a "European" competition for European players (since when does newerth=europe?). But in my eyes it lowers the prestige of the event and greatly diminishes the winner's claim to being the best if Europeans refuse to be challenged in a slightly fairer setting against america's best.

Newerth has been European for some time, the last major tourney the US took part in was NSL3. Playing Europe's best versus America's best isn't possible as well as, whatever server you're on one of you will be at a disadvantage.
jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 06:02:47 pm »

Playing Europe's best versus America's best isn't possible as well as, whatever server you're on one of you will be at a disadvantage.

The US/EU divide assumption is old. Nowadays east coast americans should be in the same ping category as Turks, Israelis, Russians, Ukrainians, etc. Basically our needs are being ignored simply because our continent has a different name.

Last time I checked, a kid with 73 ping got 4th place and went 19-21 with Shagroth. Not possible to play Europe's best you say? (That kid would have gotten a better ping on UK and might have beaten Shagroth there by the way). https://youtu.be/qXQV5dXKf7U?t=8m54s

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: