Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2017, 11:11:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
188605 Posts in 10883 Topics by 17932 Members
Latest Member: MrStoner
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Archive
| |-+  Savage XR Videos
| | |-+  Making Of Legacy
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Making Of Legacy  (Read 24537 times)
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2014, 03:25:18 pm »

"Legacy" was different than my other movie projects in many ways. That's why I'd like to share my experience and
workflow with you. Movie Config and Video Templates are available here for download. Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Preparation
1.1 Creating a Folder Structure
1.2 Gathering and Renaming Demos

2 Clip Overview
2.1 Capturing Preview Footage
2.2 Sorting Gameplay

3 Music and Video Arrangement
3.1 Music Copyright Check
3.2 Music Compatibility Check and Mix    
3.3 Arrangement
4 Game Configuration
4.1 Building a Savage XR Mod    
4.2 Editing Game Font
4.3 Game Settings

5 Capturing Gameplay
5.1 Graphic Card Settings
5.2 FRAPS settings
5.3 Map adjustments
5.4 Capturing
6 Post-Production
6.1 Creating a HUD in Adobe After Effects
6.2 Controlling the HUD
6.3 Color Grading and Effects
6.4 Retouching Video
6.5 Working with Adobe Media Encoder

7 Finishing and Export
7.1 Final Cut
7.2 Audio Mastering
7.3 Hokus Pokus 60 fps Awesomeness
7.4 Export
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Preparation

1.1 Creating a Folder Structure

Before starting on the movie project I create a folder structure for the different types of data I'm going to use:

config
demo
img
map
v_low
v_pre  
v_raw
folder for Savage mods and game settings
folder for all demos
folder for all image overlays (JPG, PNG)
folder for all edited map files
folder for after effects files and clan icons
folder for final edited high res 60 fps clips (MP4)
folder for final edited low res 30 fps clips (MP4)
folder for low res 30 fps preview footage with HUD (AVI)
folder for high res 60 fps raw footage (AVI)

1.2 Gathering and Renaming Demos

Then I gather all demos and name them after map and demotime: crossroads_1730.demo
(open the Savage console and type demo_settime 1730 to jump to that gameplay position instantly)
You could also name it after content, like tempest_1730.demo. Important is that this name will stay during the whole workflow. I move all demos into the folder demo.

2 Clip Overview

2.1 Capturing Preview Footage

Afterwards I capture all demos with FRAPS at a low resolution and frame rate (1280 x 720 @ 30 fps). The game HUD is fully enabled. Then I name all captured gameplay after the demos: crossroads_1730.avi and move them into the folder v_pre.

2.2 Sorting Gameplay

I create a new document with 1280 x 720 @ 30 fps in Sony Vegas and load in all preview footage from the folder v_pre, create markers in the timeline by pressing M and name them from 1 to 10.
Then I watch all clips and rate them by moving them on the timeline to a number. Once done I write the rating as a text above each clip and group the text tracks to the game footage with G (ungroup is U). Now the text stays above the clips and gets cut and expanded with them. This serves as an orientation, so I won't accidentally chain all top clips together or add clips I didn't want in.

3 Music and Video Arrangement

3.1 Music Copyright Check

I create a new document with 320 x 240 @ 25 fps Sony Vegas, load in all music that I would consider using. Then I double click above each clip to select them individually and press R to create a new region for each. Then I go to Tools > Scripting > Batch Render and select Sony AVC > Internet 320x240-25p. It now exports all music clips as separate videos. I upload all to youtube and check their copyright status in the video manager. Music that is banned in certain countries gets removed from my list (unless there are really no good alternatives).

3.2 Music Compatibility Check and Mix

I then copy the remaining music clips into the Vegas document with the clip overview. Now it is time to check:

1. what music fits to Savage gameplay in general
2. what music fits to different clips or type of gameplay
3. what music makes a good intro. To figure that out it can be helpful to do a rough cut: A, B, C, D, E, F.
4. what parts of each music clip do I want to use (I just cut off everything I don't need)
5. maybe I can cut a long progressive track into something more suitable (I did that a lot with music in the Legacy Project.
Use G to group the cut music parts of a clip, so you don't mess things up when moving around tracks on the timeline)
6. what music can be chained
7. what music can be mixed. To figure out the mixability it is best to check the beats per minute (bpm) of different tracks with this tool. The music I used for the Legacy Project is very similar in BPM, giving great conditions for a compact cut and mix:

An important factor about the final choice of music besides copyright issues and compatibility was of course Legacy's taste of music. For instance the aggressive rap-rock of "Rage against the Machine" for the intro was an absolute no-go for him. And I didn't want to create a video that he doesn't like because of it.

3.3 Arrangement

Now it is time to do the final music & video arrangement with all the low res previews that have been sorted by rating earlier. I don't delete or copy anything, I just move it around. If I figure out that I don't need a clip I just move it back to its rating section on the timeline. Thanks to the text grouped to it I instantly know where I took it earlier. That way I don't delete anything accidentally that I could want to use again later on, I won't use the same clips twice either (which is a fairly unrealistic scenario, but could happen in a big movie) and I'm always aware of the remaining inventory of clips. The video cut is also pretty optimized at this stage. I know which clips and what specific part of each clip are needed for the final production and which are not going to be used.

4 Game Configuration

4.1 Building a Savage XR Mod

First I'm going to duplicate or create a new Savage XR installation (I call it "Savage XR Legacy") to which I apply all modifications. Then I open the Savage XR Legacy/game/savage0.s2z file in WinRAR and disable voice chat, level up/respawn sounds and clan items by removing the following directories:

/models/unique/
/sound/human/commander
/sound/human/player
/sound/beast/commander
/sound/beast/player

All other modifications of the game are part of a new savage1.s2z file that overwrites the content of the big savage0.s2z file when put into the same directory. Those changes include:

1. all HUD elements removed
2. high res blood
3. snow grass optimized
4. icons for lag, voice chat, revive, allies and waypoints removed
5. sounds for chat, captured/stolen flags, votes, goodie bags and gold removed
6. officer flag and beast armor reverted back to the original Savage look
7. all weapon, unit and item research and state icons disabled
8. level up effect removed
9. changed sacrifice burn effect back to RC3 (more particles)

These mods and configuration files I store in the folder config. If there's a special mod for a specific map (like different grass), I create a new folder named after the demo crossroads_1730 and put all related files into it. -> download available below

4.2 Editing Game Font

Unfortunately the research icons and countdowns on the right side of the screen are hardcoded, that means they can't get removed by editing the HUD files or with /hideall. While the savage1.s2z provided above can disable the icons by overwriting them with transparent images, for the font we need a different solution:

I open the Savage XR Legacy/game/standard.ttf font file in Fontlab Studio and simply remove all chars that get used by the research panel. What I keep is the "s" since that char is used a lot in player names. The "s" will be removed later during the post-production of the movie. Alright, I export the font again in TrueType (TTF) format.
For the Legacy Project I used "Helvetica Neue" instead of the standard game font and also scaled it a bit down in Fontlab Studio. That's a matter of a few clicks. I just had to make sure to rename the font again to standard.ttf in order to make it work. -> download available below

4.3 Game Settings

Now I define the config changes that stay through the whole movie and put them into Savage XR Legacy/game/custom.cfg.

cl_playerdamageoverlay 0  //removes damage color flashes
cl_playerhealoverlay 0  //removes heal color flashes
cl_nameiconsize 12  //adjusts the icon size to fit my "Helvetica Neue" game font (you probably won't need this)

Most graphical changes are already done by the mod, so my Savage XR game settings stay pretty standard. I set the Savage XR graphics to high. However, I disable glow filter, because that one will be added later in the post-production.

5 Capturing Gameplay

5.1 Graphic Card Settings

Then I right click on the desktop background and open my NVIDIA Control Panel. The most important thing - especially when recording 60 fps gameplay - is  disabling vertical sync. When starting recording gameplay with FRAPS the frame rate always drops a bit. If the frame rate however is limited with vertical sync to 60 fps, usually the framerate will drop to 30 fps when recording. With uncapped FPS the 60 fps recording works just fine.

Then I set Antialiasing Setting to at least 2x, optimally 4x or more. I also have to set Antialiasing Mode to Override any application settings otherwise nothing will happen.
If the performance is no problem I also enable Antialiasing Transparency, but that can increase the required performance exponentially when there's much grass or trees. So be careful with that. When recording a video at only 30 fps these settings can be put much higher.
Texture filtering defines how well textures look far away. Setting this to Performance or Quality is good enough, unless you want to create screenshots. For a movie it eats unnecessary bitrate.

5.2 FRAPS settings

When recording at 60 fps I make sure to have Savage XR and the destination folder for captured video not located on the same harddisk in order to prevent frame drops and that the Video Capture Settings are set to 30 or 60 fps, Full-size and with Windows Sound enabled. Furthermore the Video Capture Hotkey should not already be used by Savage XR to take Screenshots for instance. That will definitely cause frame drops.

5.3 Map adjustments

When checking through the demo I sometimes notice that the camera goes through tree leafs, that the map is way too dark/bright or has ugly objects or terrain close to the fights. These things can be easily fixed with the Savage XR map editor.
I do the map editing usually on a different Savage install where nothing can get broken by running the autoupdater.

So I open /Savage XR/editor.bat, open the console and load a map with world mapname, make changes and save it again with writeworld mapname. Map files can be opened with WinRAR as well as mods. If I want a different TOD (Time of Day) for a map, I just copy it from a different map I like. Anything can be changed in a map and will be displayed correctly in the demo, with exception of reference objects such as mines, strongholds and flags and NPCs.

For each edited map I create a new folder in map named after the clip crossroads_1730, create subfolders with version numbers and document the changes briefly in a text file.

5.4 Capturing

Before capturing a clip I check what camera smoothing settings look best. My usual values are:

Human Gameplay: cl_cameraanglelerp 10-17
Beast Gameplay: cl_cameraanglelerp 14-20

And I decide whether to use third-person only and whether to show the officer flag. I personally like the old officer flag that's why I kept it most of the time. The Beast officer flag however should be disabled when using mist since it doesn't get hidden with the unit. For some maps it looks better when the grass is disabled or has reduced foliage alpha.

Since the video arrangement is done and I know what parts of each demo I will need and what not I don't have to capture the whole clip again like back when I recorded the preview. After capturing the gameplay with FRAPS I rename the video after the demo crossroads_1730.avi and move it into v_raw.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:35:42 pm by H3027 » Logged

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
Second Witch: When the hurlyburly's done, / When the battle's lost and won.
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 06:57:26 pm »

6 Post-Production

6.1 Creating a HUD in Adobe After Effects with Expressions

Everything I do now post-production wise is located in the post folder.
If you're not interested in understanding how the HUD works, just continue with 6.2.

I create a new After Effects project and name it after my first clip crossroads_1730.aep. I create a new composition and set it to 1920 x 1080 @ 60 fps, Square Pixels, Duration: 0:01:00:00 (1 Minute). I then import ../v_raw/crossroads_1730.avi place it into my composition to see how my HUD looks on Savage background.

I create the stamina and health bars with vector shapes, that means: size, edge radius and stroke width are editable and scalable without quality loss. They are 3D, have a light and cast shadows. Once that complex layer salad is done I select all shapes and masks and create (pre-compose) a new composition out of it with Control + Shift + P and name it hud. That way I can reduce the amount of layers in the main composition to a minimum.

Well, how can I resize multiple bar elements, masks and change health digits simultaniously according to the game action without having to spend hours and hours? The great thing about After Effects is that it allows me to define dependencies between any value of any layer in the project. And that is done with Javascript Expressions.

What I'm going to do now is creating an null-object in my main composition with Control + Alt + Shift + Y which i name health and give it the horicontal position value of 620. This null-object is invisible and has no other purpose than carrying a position value. Now I want to make both, the health digits and the health bar elements react to this value. I want them to show 620 HP when the x-position of the null-object health is set to 620 and 490 HP when it's set to 490.

I open my hud composition and click on the arrow next to the Health Digits layer, through which I can get access to all parameters of that layer - also the text content itself, which is shown as Source. This little watch symbol next to a parameter means that it can be animated. Now I hold the Alt and press on that symbol and it shows me a javascript field on the right in which I will enter an expression:

Let's have a look at what that Javascript does: parseFloat(comp("comp").layer("health").transform.position[0]).toFixed(0)

comp("comp")
.layer("health").
.transform.position[0]    
parseFloat
.toFixed(0)

go to composition with the name "comp"
go in that composition to layer with the name "health"
and give me that first transform position (x) of that layer
convert the result into a numeric value
and round it to 0 decimals

Now I can basically change the horicontal position of that health null-object in my main composition like a slider and it will change the health digit value in real-time (and round it to 0 decimals).

Okay, let's change the size of the health bar. But first I have to create a new null-object in the main composition that defines the maximal amount of health of the unit, because I want the health bar to be always the same size when the unit is at 100% health. So, let's name that new null-object max_hp. Now let's create an expression for the health bar:

temp = comp("comp").layer("health").transform.position[0];
[(200*(temp/(comp("comp").layer("max_hp").transform.position[0]))), 40]

And what does this mean?
temp =
comp("comp")
.layer("health")
.transform.position[0]
;
[(200
*(temp/
/(comp("comp")
.layer("max_hp")
.transform.position[0])))    
, 40

"temp" is a variable defined by what follows after the =
go to composition with the name "comp"
go in that composition to layer with the name "health"
and give me that first transform position (x) of that layer
okay, kept that in mind, but let me tell you something new:
200 pixel is the width of my health bar
multiply this please with "temp" (health value)
that has been divided by a value that can be found in the composition named "comp"
in the layer with the name "max_hp"
in the position x of that layer
but keep the height of my health bar at 40 pixel

Okay, I think you guys got my point. It's gonna be a bit more complex than this but I will skip the rest now, which also includes the creation of the kill message panel. Feel free to download the After Effects file to learn more about it on your own.
-> download available below

6.2 Controlling the HUD

I explained how to define expressions, however you can also just use my project files and all you have to do is to enter the values in the null-objects. Let's see how this works.

I open the After Effects template and select the smaller .avi-file in the Project window, press Control + H and replace it with ../v_pre/crossroads_1730.avi and the bigger .avi-file with ../v_raw/crossroads_1730.avi.

The 60 fps raw video is the layer on the bottom of your timeline. Select it and press Control + Alt + B to set your work area to that layer. The work area is the part of the composition that is being exported later.

I need to find something in the video that is ideal for a sync between 60 fps raw gameplay and low res preview gameplay. Usually a kill is a good sync point when goodie bags start flying. So, I go to the first kill - with Page Up and Page Down I can move in the timeline frame by frame. When I have found it, I keep the position cursor where it is, blend in the low res preview footage a few layers above and move it to the same point in the video. I hide the 60 fps raw video to save performance and can now start entering the health, stamina and kill data.

Okay, let's start by setting the max_hp right. I select the layer and press P to open the position parameter and check if there are already keyframes set which I would have to delete first. If not, then I press Control + Shift + P, enter my value and press Enter. If the max_hp value changes due to a level-up then I have to set keyframes. I can set a keyframe by pressing the stop-watch button next to the word "Position". Now that the auto-recording of keyframes is activated, I can move to the frame in the video where the max health changes and press again Control + Shift + P to enter the new value. Now since health does increase in steps and not smoothly I have to change the interpolation between frames. In order to do that I press on the word "Position" to select all frames on the layer. Then I right click > Frame Interpolation and set the Temporal Interpolation to Hold.

Let's change edit the health values now. I select the health layer and press P, make sure the old keyframes are gone, press the stopwatch and enter the value of the first frame as shown in the HUD of the preview footage. When all values are set I change the Temporal Interpolation again to Hold.

With stamina it is a little different since it regenerates slowly. First I do it the same way as with the health values, with the difference that I don't set a new keyframe each time stamina changes, instead i set as few keyframes as possible and let After Effects interpolate between the keyframes. When I'm done I select all keyframes, right click > Frame Interpolation and set the Temporal Interpolation to linear.

Finally I'm going to enter the kills. I select the layer kill_count and kill_message and press P. I move the cursor on the timeline to the first kill and then select the first group of keyframes on BOTH layers and move it to the cursor while pressing Shift so it snaps in. I repeat the same for all kills.

Then I open the composition kills, enter all player names and hide the clan icon where needed. Then I go to my post directory and create a new folder _icons where I will store the icon images. I visit the newerth stats page and download the icons of all players being killed and import it into the icons folder in the project window of After Effects. Then I double click on each icon layer placed in the kill composition, select the old icon on the timeline and drag and drop the new icon in while pressing Alt. The old icon will automatically be replaced. Then I press Control + Alt + F to proportionally scale the new icon to the size of the icon composition. I repeat that with all icons and can move on to the color correction.

If an icon is not available because a player disabled stats recording, I open the demo in notepad (texteditor), search for the playername and copy the clanicon number from the demo and replace this number here: http://stats.newerth.com/icondir/41585.png (it could also be a JPG or a GIF though).

6.3 Color Grading and Effects

For the color correction I'm using two effects (which are part of After Effects): SA ColorFinesse 3 and Hue/Saturation. Select the Adjustment layer called color_correction on the timeline and press F3 to open the Effect Controls window.

Usually with Curves i open the footage a bit up in the middles and quarter tones to make it brighter and slightly more contrastfully, while I close it a bit in the shadows. With Hue/Saturation I often have to shift the cold green tones a bit more to yellow and the cyans a bit more to a warmer and darker blue.

To adjust the glowfilter press T to open the transparency settings or press Control + Shift + Y to give it a different color.

To change the blur settings select the Adjustment Layer called blur and press F3 to open the Effect Controls window. For the slow motion parts in the Outro i disabled that zoom blur, for slow scenes I use 2 blur pixels, for fast scenes 3-4. For the scav and stalker scene I used the light burst 2 blur effect and applied a dynamic blur center, so entirely sharp is only the area where the beast sees its prey.

A few expamples on how I corrected the raw footage and added some atmosphere and depth:

6.4 Retouching Video

Finally I need to get rid of the remaining "s" letters in the research panel on the right frame border. I double click on the bottom layer with the 60 fps raw footage which will open in a new window. I press Home to move the cursor to the begin, then I go through the video and check for "s". If there's one I press Control + B to switch to the clone stamp tool, I set the brush size to around 17 and the hardness to 80% in the Brushes Palette that should open automatically. If not, then it opens with Control + 9.

First I press Alt and click into the video and place the source of your clone tool, then I click a second time where I want to clone it at (without Alt). In the Paint Panel I set the duration of the paint. If it's set to Constant it will stay the whole video. But sometimes I have to correct little errors caused by the clone tool itself that last only one single frame. Then I can set the duration to Single Frame.

The post-production is done! According to my experience it takes about 1-1.5 minutes to do the post production of a one second clip. So for 10 seconds I need 10-15 minutes in average. For Human clips a bit less, Beast clips a bit more. For a 10 minutes video, expect 10-15 hours of work on the post-production.

6.5 Working with Adobe Media Encoder

Now that we're finished, Adobe Media Encoder comes into play. I save my finished After Effects Project, then press Control + Shift + M to submit it to Media Encoder. Unlike After Effects, Media Encoder can Batch Render my post-productions in the background. After that project is in the Media Encoder list, I can close After Effects or work on the next After Effects project.

The first thing I do is creating two presets:

Legacy_high:
Video: matching source, CBR, 50 Mbit,
Audio: AAC, Stereo, 44100 Hz, high quality, 320 Kbit
Multiplexer: MP4, Compatibility: Standard

Legacy_low:
Video: 1280x720, 30 fps, CBR, 6 Mbit,
Audio: AAC, Stereo, 44100 Hz, high quality, 192 Kbit
Multiplexer: MP4, Compatibility: Standard

After Effects projects are always rendered with the Legacy_high preset. Then in a second pass I drag all rendered videos into Media Encoder again and render themwith the Legacy_low preset.

The high preset videos come into the folder v_high.
The low preset videos come into the folder v_low.

It is important that both videos versions have exactly the same name: crossroads_1730.mp4

7 Finishing and Export

7.1 Final Cut

Now I'm going to load the low res videos from the v_low into my Sony Vegas project. I put them above their low res preview equivalents and sync by comparing the audio waveforms, delete the originals and move the final low res videos into their spots.

Then I finetune the cut using the final look of the footage. The reason why I'm not using the 60 fps footage is because I wouldn't be able to cut it in real-time which means a lot lot more unnecessary time spent on the cut.

When the final cut is done I open the video bus track with Control + Shift + B, click on the Track-FX icon and load Sony Levels. There I choose the preset Studio RGB to Computer RGB to get the contrast back to what it was in After Effects. And were done.

7.2 Audio Mastering

I watch my finished video, first with speakers, once with subwoofer turned on and once off and then with headphones. When listening with headphones game sound and music can be much easier differenciated, so tendencially you'd want to make turn the game volume a bit down. But I will have to find the perfect comprimise to make it sound good on speakers too.

I adjust the levels of each audio clip and music track and pay attention to the volume levels, so that the audio mix is never overdriving, i.e. in the red zone above 0 decibel. Usually overdriving is caused by peaks of the game sound. I then select a clip and press U to ungroup audio and video, then cut the audio and turn down the volume selectively for that specific part.

7.3 Hokus Pokus 60 fps Full HD Awesomeness

Now I rename the v_low folder to v_thxbye and switch back to Sony Vegas which will ask me to specify a new location for the missing video files. I choose v_high as replacemen, it will ask me if I want to update automatically all other missing files too. Then I go to the Sony Vegas project properties with Alt + Enter where I change the video settings to the resolution of the updated files: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 fps. Et voilą, my movie is super high res and awesome!

7.4 Export

Then I go to File > Render As..., select MainConcept AVC/AAC (*.mp4) from the list. There i choose 1929 x 1080p, Profile Main, Framerate 60. Pixel aspect ratio 1, number of reference frames 8, two pass: 10000-14000 Mbit. Audio: 44100 Hz, 192-320 Kbit. Export and Upload.

The alternative would be exporting it uncompressed and then encode it with MediaCoder (not Adobe Media Encoder). I first tried that, but to my annoyance Windows always crashed the software because while initiating the 250 GB raw video file MediaCoder didn't respond for too long. However, these days Sony's integrated Main Concept AVC exporter is quite advanced with 2Pass, Variable Bitrate and Reference frames to choose from, so that is fairly sufficient.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:00:07 pm by H3027 » Logged

First Witch: When shall we three meet again / In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 10:34:33 pm »

Project Files

Movie Config/Mod and Fonts: http://www.newerth.com/tirza/legacy_config.zip
Move this into your Savage XR/game/ folder to install (but don't forget the instructions from 4.1 if you want it to look the same).

After Effect Templates of 9 different gameplay clips from the Legacy Movie allowing you to use that HUD for your own Savage XR Movie with ease: http://www.newerth.com/tirza/legacy_aep.zip

You can test all Adobe Software free for 30 days, here's the download link for AfterEffects CC: https://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects.html
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:59:58 pm by H3027 » Logged

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:06:47 am »

Thanks for this write-up. Some of the steps took more work than I would have imagined. It's amazing that this professional quality work comes out of our love for this game with no money exchanging hands, same for XR development, etc. Someone could write a games journalism piece on newerth.

By the way I definitely noticed the color correction, it's a great improvement to the raw footage. Seeing YouTube's thumbnail image for the video I thought "how fitting for legacy that it be a winter map", only to realize that there is no winter losthills.

SavageBeard
XR Map Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:42:09 pm »

Now make this HUD into Savage so I can use it!  Cheesy
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 11:43:36 pm »

By the way I definitely noticed the color correction, it's a great improvement to the raw footage. Seeing YouTube's thumbnail image for the video I thought "how fitting for legacy that it be a winter map", only to realize that there is no winter losthills.

This is no real winter version of losthills by the way, just a night version with very cold terrain light (plus a blue glow filter), making it appear similar to snow. The scene was originally located on lostwinter, so the colors aren't much different after all.  Tongue

Emily

meow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 09:03:39 am »

omg... I never knew you took this much time and effort to make the video! I am so impressed with your editing skills! Good job <3

H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 08:44:34 pm »

@Emiliy:

Thanks! I didn't spend too much time on it though. One month ago I would have never thought that I would ever finish this project. After all these years recording and cutting Savage videos was mostly routine, not much of a challenge. And I was busy with other projects, so I was about to give Legacy his demos back for someone else to create a frag movie out of it. However, one evening I was watching a video tutorial about After Effects and he started talking about Expressions. I was so freaking excited about these almost infinite possibilities that I instantly quit watching and went creating that Savage HUD for Legacy's video. 3 weeks later (with one week football championship break) the video was done and I could finally finish watching the tutorial.  Grin

PS.: my next Savage video - a video I started to work on back in 2007, but never finished - will be done in After Effects and Premiere in combination with SpeedGrade (instead of Sony Vegas). This new challenge is likely to keep me motivated until it's done.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:08:18 pm by H3027 » Logged

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 02:27:58 pm »

Next sav video?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 03:44:47 pm »

Next sav video?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Yeah, could be my last Savage video. Well, at least there's nothing more planed, i.e. after that next video there's no further video that Savage XR needs to be "complete".  Wink

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 07:50:33 pm »

How about "The making of" with duds from the thousands of hours of testing? Smiley

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 12:03:00 am »

I've been dreaming of an all-predator video, showcasing some fancy kills and different players' styles. What I want to see is kills with panache rather than killstreaks.

I'm getting a computer upgrade so maybe I will try my hand at it, the hardest part will be getting demos of former players, especially US community.

biggeruniverse
Disrespectful Newerth Coder and Occasional Admin

Savage Days

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 12:53:52 am »

especially US community.

https://twitter.com/SavageRebirth
Quote from: Helios
You mean an already 7 yr old game is going to die eventually?  Good call there Nostradumbass
H3027
Newerth PR Manager
Legendary Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 01:08:17 am »

I've been dreaming of an all-predator video, showcasing some fancy kills and different players' styles. What I want to see is kills with panache rather than killstreaks.

I'm getting a computer upgrade so maybe I will try my hand at it, the hardest part will be getting demos of former players, especially US community.

My next video will contain a lot of good Pred footage between the chapters:
http://www.newerth.com/smf/index.php/topic,13947.0.html

Afro

jazzking
Melee enthusiast
Newerth Shoutcaster

Duels Duels Duels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 01:27:35 am »

This year, I've meleed in pub and duels, both beasts and humans, in both  servers at < 60ping, for hundreds of hours. In its current state I would argue that EU melee is significantly better, looking at average skill or just the higher end. This is in part because the average ping on Leet is so much higher I think. I don't think that has always been the case though and US has legends of its own, there are just way fewer active.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:46:07 am by jazzking » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: