Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2018, 07:27:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189376 Posts in 10974 Topics by 18135 Members
Latest Member: Hook
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Savage XR
| |-+  Mapping & Modding Forum
| | |-+  Faunīs map screenies
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faunīs map screenies  (Read 35934 times)
Faun
carn =/= hax
XR Contributor

Hear a flute in the forest...

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2010, 06:05:09 pm »

Hello!

Now as iīve spread announcements for my maps everywhere, i found out the most appropriate place for it would be here...  Rolleyes
I would be very happy about some comments to the two maps i freshly made. As theyīre both without triggers or moving stuff it would be mainly about tactical and overall issues...
-----

This is my first savage map at all, i tried to give it a more "free" feeling than the maps iīve seen so far on the server, although whatīs pathing and whats impossible is still clearly defined. A lot of hideouts and hidden paths are there to round up a rather progressive match...

whitewater - http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps&mid=1990
-----

The second one originated mainly from the thought of a "red map". I was thinking about getting totally different colours into savage and the result is this "alien light map" I was trying to keep the style thoroughly as good as possible, but there are not that much props for that.  Main attraction of this map aside from the tactical situation are the four individually made gates. I have build them together with scaling, turning and piling different props, hope its fun to play that.

xr_erebus - http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps&mid=2014
-----

And now the derivate from it, which has mossy textures and a humid feeling, so you start to sweat when looking at the map

xr_moss_erebus - http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps&mid=2015
-----

The name tells it all:

xr_four - http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps&mid=1993
-----

Here is the newest, this time a bigger one (map No. 2000 !!!! Evil ) meantime its no.2016 because of renaming

xr_transsylvania - http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps&mid=2016
-----

Please feel free to tell me anything you think about them! Afro

Edit:
for any interested audience, here is a list of which maps of mine I'd call:

whitewater

quarry2

open_bright

crossfire

xr_transsylvania

xr_oneday

xr_four2

xr_grimmscastle2

xr_ardon

The ones above are all the most sophisticated versions of these maps, so instead of voting for the previous titles rather go for these. thx for any attention +the maps were made for playing.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:25:57 pm by Faun » Logged

Overon
Some random guy

Hi.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 06:43:03 pm »

Erebus -

Let me tell you, this will NOT get played.  I speak from experience.  Check this out. 
http://www.newerth.com/?id=maps&mid=305

I was pretty proud of the layout on that map, and it only got played the few times I went on the server and begged people.  It's a nice thought and all, but don't hold your breath, especially since your version is much harder on the eyes than mine was, and all people did was complain nonstop.. "MY EYES HURT EEEEW IT'S RED!"

Whiney-babies aside, I really like what you did with the props on this map.  The custom gates look good.

What you would really need to do though is delineate what is the ground a little better.  It needs some more texture and paint work so it's not so disorienting.  It's going to be hard enough to get people to quit complaining about the red, let alone not being able to see what you're doing very well.

Whitewater -

This map is gorgeous.  You did a great job with the open-air mountain feel.  The big gorges and open map edges are not very newb-friendly... but I've never necessarily been a fan of newb-friendly. 

**ONE BIG FIX**  - Your stronghold by the wooden bridge and river is sideways.  You need to turn that.  Right now, the beast workers spawn on the hill and can't get out.

You also have a couple of occluder edges sticking out a very little bit.  Double check those.

Once again.. this thing is freakin' pretty.  Nice work.
Faun
carn =/= hax
XR Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 11:04:07 pm »

Thanks a lot for your contemplations!
- I just didnīt see the amiss lair myself anymore, also the occluders hidden edges...Smiley I have done it proper now, so the map should be glancing... Because of the gorges: Iīm truly a bit unhappy that a player is still alive when he falls of the map borders(in this one spot). If they would be dead when they fall of the bridge into the waterfall it would be much newb-friendlier also, because hardly one knows the /kill command; its uncool anyway you have to do it yourself. do you think its possible to mount a /kill trigger there? I wait with updating to make it all in 1, itīs no hurry anyway it seems...

And with erebus: Your mars3 is really a reference for this, i feeling like i want to give it a try anyhow...  Wink Do you think its better (for rotation) when i make a derivate of it like, letīs say, mossy style? --- (-Edit: the more i think of it, the nicer gets the idea... Rolleyes )

Regards, Faun

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:40:25 pm by Faun » Logged

biggeruniverse
Disrespectful Newerth Coder and Occasional Admin

Savage Days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 05:43:01 am »

Whitewater -

This map is gorgeous.  You did a great job with the open-air mountain feel.  The big gorges and open map edges are not very newb-friendly... but I've never necessarily been a fan of newb-friendly. 

Once again.. this thing is freakin' pretty.  Nice work.

+1 this map is beautiful. I'm glad to see new map-makers are coming into the mix. Can't wait to see a pub match on this.

https://twitter.com/SavageRebirth
Quote from: Helios
You mean an already 7 yr old game is going to die eventually?  Good call there Nostradumbass
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 05:45:01 am »

If you think about it, blood has always enjoyed a fair amount of play despite having pretty crazy coloured textures. I think a lot of the dislike of maps comes through environment settings. If you look at blood, despite its crazy colours the environment settings are fairly normal. In contrast to less successful maps which tend to try to complete the theme through colourful and thick fog and warm toned skies etc.

Oh, and in regards to whitewater, you need to fix up your textures. Particularly around the mountain areas. You have been using more than 1 texture on layer 2 while using 0 textures on layer 3. Because of this you have big blocks of textures that look ugly.

The trigger script is a piece of pie to do. I have attached a script and trigger for you that will do the trick. Any client that drops below -500 elevation on your map will die, this covers everywhere on the map, so just be sure that if you make any adjustments to your map, you aren't dropping below this height. With the .rar attachment open it and place the triggers folder and scripts folder in your map /whitewater/world/whitewater/scripts and triggers files (basically in the same spot all the other files are for your map).

* deathtrigger.rar (0.35 KB - downloaded 198 times.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:04:14 am by Aneurysm » Logged

Overon
Some random guy

Hi.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 06:09:19 pm »

The kill trigger would work, but then you have to make it an XR map.  I think you would be better served by just placing some impassable boulders at the end of the river to block it.  You can still make it look good with the mist and all, but you don't have to worry about that map edge.

And no offense to Ane, but the mountain textures aren't really a problem.  The only places they make a hard edge are where the player wont be able to see it from ground-level.  All except 1 spot, and I tihnk it still looks natural how you made the border.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:20:27 pm by Overon » Logged
Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:00:18 pm »

The kill trigger would work, but then you have to make it an XR map.  I think you would be better served by just placing some impassable boulders at the end of the river to block it.  You can still make it look good with the mist and all, but you don't have to worry about that map edge.

And no offense to Ane, but the mountain textures aren't really a problem.  The only places they make a hard edge are where the player wont be able to see it from ground-level.  All except 1 spot, and I tihnk it still looks natural how you made the border.

It has to be an xr_ map anyway as the grass texture used is from xr, not to mention the mossy stone texture used throughout the mountain.

Granted he has hidden it well on the map, bad habits are not something to be encouraged. If in teaching him how to do it properly on this map means that his next attempts are all the better for it, why wouldn't I point it out?

Edit: I don't want to look like I am having a go at anyone, so sorry if that is the way it is coming across. I also think whitewater looks great Faun. You have used a combination of textures I would not have thought of using and it has worked wonderfully well. As Overon said you have very nicely encapsulated that mountainous feel and made it look effortless. Well done.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 06:41:58 am by Aneurysm » Logged

Faun
carn =/= hax
XR Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 04:25:55 pm »

Yeah, big Thanks one more time for giving all these ideas for improvements!

Thank you Aneurysm for the trigger, i embedded it now, and it works! Since itīs not just possible to fall off the end of the river, but also to fall/jump off the bridge i didnīt see the chance of placing rocks as a border. Also i like the idea somehow that itīs a dangerous spot there. Still there is a single problem with the trigger, which is preventing me from updating: When you fall of that bridge now, it doesnīt stop to kill you over and over. (i pressed Loadout after 357 deaths from one fall then  Grin) Is there any solution to activate it just once for every "client" that falls under the -500 height?

And iīve tried now to get rid of all the hard texture edges in the mountainous. The main reason why i didnīt want to use the 3rd layer is that it seemed to bug around hopelessly, so i kept using only 2 which was working fine. Maybe i can use it better in future maps, for this one iīm happy i finally got a satisfying result without using the 3rd layer.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 01:49:51 am by Faun » Logged

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 05:00:08 pm »

Yeah, big Thanks one more time for giving all these ideas for improvements!

Thank you Aneurysm for the trigger, i embedded it now, and it works! Since itīs not just possible to fall off the end of the river, but also to fall/jump off the bridge i didnīt see the chance of placing rocks as a border. Also i like the idea somehow that itīs a dangerous spot there. Still there is a single problem with the trigger, which is preventing me from updating: When you fall of that bridge now, it doesnīt stop to kill you over and over. (i pressed Loadout after 357 deaths from one fall then  Grin) Is there any solution to activate it just once for every "client" that falls under the 500 height?

And iīve tried now to get rid of all the hard texture edges in the mountainous. The main reason why i didnīt want to use the 3rd layer is that it seemed to bug around hopelessly, so i kept using only 2 which was working fine. Maybe i can use it better in future maps, for this one iīm happy i finally got a satisfying result without using the 3rd layer.

To fix your trigger, change it from "on inside" to "on enter" and that should fix the death issue.

With your textures, have you read my tutorial? Because it explains in explicit detail how to use layer 3 without problems.

Faun
carn =/= hax
XR Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 12:02:29 am »

Hey, itīs done now!  Afro I didnīt get the trigger to work with the aaplane, so i made it into a lil box and switched it to "leave", now it works properly. With the aaplane no setting could get me a single death, only when i had added the switch "once", but then it was limited to one time in the game at all. Cannot thank you enough, it really enjoys me a lot to see it working so fine now. Now it will be all about watching this map "at work", see the tactical limits, the balance, and gamers experience... I hope someone likes to play it at all....  Wink   Iīve put in all your suggested improvements now and updated it

greetings
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 01:53:08 am by Faun » Logged

Faun
carn =/= hax
XR Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 11:39:06 pm »

Please help Huh
I found in the erebus map there is a bug which i cannot delete. Itīs an occluder reduced to a single line (under one of the gates) by bugful accident whilst adding vertexes; Thus line with the lack of clickable space is normally hard to mark it, but with this one its impossible (Occluder options have no sizeable box to mark)...

I have started to do a moss-derivate from erebus but i found now the fps are far too low at both maps.
In comparison to whitewater in objects, occluders, farclip theyre equivalent;
Do the low fps have their reason in the unfamiliar occluder?

Is there a specific occluder-file in the map datas or is the occluder position included in the normal obj_positions? So maybe i could just replace them with an other occluder-file?

P.S. Last (hard) exit would be for me to rebuild both maps Cry because of this single line...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:05:16 am by Faun » Logged

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 03:10:57 am »

Faun,

Firstly are you certain that your occluder is only a single line and that rather it is not just now on a different angle that needs to be viewed from a different side.

Secondly, you can access your occluders in the objpos.cfg file within your map, occluders should be at the very bottom of this list. Figure out which occluder is the guilty one, make a note of its x/y location and then delete the occluder in the objpos closest to it.

Faun
carn =/= hax
XR Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 05:15:47 am »

wow, this seems like exactly what iīve been looking for...
No, it simply ainīt that easy to turn the view a bit, that would be great Undecided The occluders have the bad buggy habit sometimes when i model them and i add a vertex(when there is already a lot of them, mostly), the whole thing turns and changes shape, all in the short time of my click... and so this one got into a line

The file is edited, it just seems now my changes to the objpos* file make it corrupt somehow, when i zip it again and try to open it with the editor, the screen gets 'backgroundcolor' and stays empty.

So, i have already found the occluder in there and deleted it, and i really think this should work, but the compression rate seems unlike normal .zip, can this be? (Iīve tried it with 7zip.) thanks for helping me out one more time Smiley

*( i deleted the single entry createOccluder ... including the lil box at the end of all the numbers, and also tried deleting all occluders in the file)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:07:08 am by Faun » Logged

Aneurysm
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 11:35:23 am »

wow, this seems like exactly what iīve been looking for...
No, it simply ainīt that easy to turn the view a bit, that would be great Undecided The occluders have the bad buggy habit sometimes when i model them and i add a vertex(when there is already a lot of them, mostly), the whole thing turns and changes shape, all in the short time of my click... and so this one got into a line

The file is edited, it just seems now my changes to the objpos* file make it corrupt somehow, when i zip it again and try to open it with the editor, the screen gets 'backgroundcolor' and stays empty.

So, i have already found the occluder in there and deleted it, and i really think this should work, but the compression rate seems unlike normal .zip, can this be? (Iīve tried it with 7zip.) thanks for helping me out one more time Smiley

*( i deleted the single entry createOccluder ... including the lil box at the end of all the numbers, and also tried deleting all occluders in the file)

Eh?

Just download winrar, it allows you to view and edit the file while still zipped. Open the objpos.cfg file using a word editor like notepad, then close the file, accept the box that asks if you want to change the zip file and close the zip. Problem solved without having to rename/unzip your world map.

If you are in a situation where you want to unzip and rezip a map file, then you must use .zip compression then rename the file to .s2z in order for the file to work. This also applies for any other .s2z within savage.

And yes I am familiar with the bug you are describing, however I have never been in a position where I was unable to highlight and delete the bugged occluder. My guess is that you are trying to select it while it is behind another occluder, therefore the other occluder is taking priority and you are unable to highlight.

I hope that clears things up for you.

Faun
carn =/= hax
XR Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 01:53:45 pm »

Yes, itīs truly a line, i have searched for a solution for my own already really for some time before i asked here. This one seems to be a hard nut to crack.
Have you already altered this file with the editor before(as a reference...)? It seems the editing process is corrupting the file somehow, even if i just alter the coordinates instead of deleting the whole occluder. And: yes, i also have the possibility to change files still zipped, 7zip also uses the standard .zip format for default, i was just thinking that savage probably uses an older, lower compression rate and is unable to read the standard zip now. (for the newly entered data (even a blank) are compressed again, i think?) Also deleting all the objpos leads to that blank screen when opening the editor, this makes me think the file might be corrupt after changing.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: