Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 10:28:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The RC3 Client is out now! Download it now!
179378 Posts in 10207 Topics by 16791 Members
Latest Member: Poltit
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Announcements
| |-+  Main Page News (Moderator: Django)
| | |-+  Savage 2: Version 1.7.0 Released
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Savage 2: Version 1.7.0 Released  (Read 12919 times)
Django
Administrator
Legendary Member

Do I have bad redeye?

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2008, 02:47:00 am »

S2Games have released Savage 2 version 1.7.0 a few days ago with a multitude of changes. Rather than just stating the changes we felt it might be more interesting if we discuss the major alterations to balance, the general opinions/consensus held by Newerth.com admins, Newerth.com forum members and S2Games forum members, with the aim of allowing us to reflect on the success of S2Games after market continued development of the game.

The first major change we will discuss is the removal of interrupt and the introduction of a block meter. This meter determines the strength and integrity of your block and depletes over time as you keep blocking and whenever you block an attack. We can only assume that the block meter has been implemented to stop people spamming block continuously but feel that currently blocking is ineffective, complicates melee and adds little to the overall melee system due to the changes made to charge and dodge which we will discuss and explain next.

Charge and Dodge both now use the charge meter and do not use stamina. We feel that this increases the gameplay's overall speed and means you spend vastly less time travelling from A to B. These changes also have repercussions on the melee system, where previously the momentum of your attack was affected by dodging and the relatively high recharge rate of charging, often leaving you unable to manoeuvre or tactically retreat from a battle. We hypothesise that this limited the scope of melee battles to head-on charges where the outcome related disproportionately towards how many units your team was fielding at any given time/place and not player skill. This probably left lots of new players feeling rather frustrated or bored, not wanting to continue to play the game and likely is one of the reasons behind the small number of people playing the game. To a certain degree these issues have been resolved with the changes but due to increased mobility of units, moving around a player blocking has become a lot easier and thus we feel limits its use. However, one possibly unforeseen advantage of the limited usefulness of block is that, if you exclude its use all altogether, learning to grasp Savage 2 melee has got a lot easier for beginners and therefore possibly more rewarding.

Another major alteration that has been made to the dynamics of the game, is the removal of the Maliken unit. We feel that the right decision has been made removing it which many people have commented on as being severely overpowered and having detrimental effect on how much new players enjoy the game.

S2Games has removed the Maliken unit from the game.

A few other minor changes worth commenting on that don't seem to be mentioned in the change log are the increased effectiveness of Behemoths akin to those of Savage 1, the increased rate at which gold seems to be earned and possibly a reduction in spawn time.

The latest patch has also seen the introduction of many new features such as: 4 new maps, a community and clan panel, in-game clan management and an IM style messaging system with player status notifications. For a full overview of changes see the Savage 2 change log here.

One major issue we feel is still out standing and affecting the retention of players in Savage 2 is the stability of the game. More people than normal, on the S2 Support forum, seem to be reporting increased occurrences of the game crashing or worse, hanging your PC. We can only hope that the causes of this issue are swiftly dealt with and fixed.

So what is our overall verdict of the changes? Well we feel that it is worth picking up Savage 2 again to see what S2Games have achieved in the past few months, that they seem to be moving in the right direction, albeit slowly and still have far to go in perfecting the game. In general the update sees a reduction in player frustration, an increase in the pace of gameplay and a more entertaining and enjoyable experience.

As a side note it has also been reported by some users that Savage 2 is now free 2 play and the time restrictions on demo accounts have been lifted. So if you haven't already bought the game, download it and enjoy an extended preview.

Update (01/12/08): S2Games have released a minor patch for Savage 2, version 1.7.1 that should help to overcome some stability issues with the game. Check the change log link above.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:47:34 pm by Django » Logged
$hacaR
"The Mod Machine"
Newerth Donator

Warr!or 4 EVER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:39:43 pm »

sounds pretty nice GG s2G !!!

Ulquiorra
Newerth Donator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 05:42:56 pm »

As a side note it has also been reported by some users that Savage 2 is now free 2 play and the time restrictions on demo accounts have been lifted. So if you haven't already bought the game, download it and enjoy an extended preview.

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa :O can anyone confirm this?

and i may just be missunderstanding it sorry if i am so is it freewear liek sav one then if thats true? shocked

OzzO
Shag Pwnerer
XR Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 05:54:06 pm »

its not free, just the demo accounts have no expirationtime Smiley

gr. OzzO

gamebroken

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 07:00:11 pm »

its not free, just the demo accounts have no expirationtime Smiley

gr. OzzO

Yes, in fact, it is free. They've changed their model and there are now two acccount types.

Standard Account -Free
Premium Account -9.99

Whats the difference between the two? Premium account has unlimited hellshrine access(standard can spawn Malphas once,Devourer twice, revenant three times). Premium account can access personal stats as well as gain achievements, standard account can't.)

Bigfoot29
I am I - who are you?
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 07:16:57 pm »

Cool... so I bought a premium account for a game to spawn malph more than once (what I did never before).

I am happy now! Cheesy

However, it might increase the playerbase to a useable ammount...

1.7 changes look promising... downloading the game atm... ^^

Regards, Bigfoot29
EvilRebel
I'm a Pizza

I really love food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 08:04:49 pm »

Other news includes that the big tournaments has been postponed to January

evilleader
Global Moderator

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 10:01:26 pm »

Very great that you keep this site updated in par with S2Games.Com and still bother to write news about Savage 2, thank you guys, not even copy-paste, self-written text, amazinf work, I enjoyed reading that in a friendly manner  afro.

Gamer and a medical student...
Mr_Matt
Newerth PUG Referees

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 10:08:10 pm »

dj always writes nice news about sav2 aswell as sav1
Pancake
Master Pancake
XR Tester

';..;'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 12:53:02 am »

Savage 2 is actually pretty nice now, esp with Maliken removed and an easier melee system pretty nice. It's worth playing me thinks.
TotalNewb
Newerth Referees (US)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 05:35:42 am »

YEEEEES NO MORE MALIKEN! I used to go and say hi to the savage 2 community every now and then but stopped when they brought him in. Killed the game I thought. I'll probably play again now that he's gone  afro

EvilRebel
I'm a Pizza

I really love food

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 02:01:28 pm »

Just a little note about Maliken. He's not completely gone. He's still available through the console during warmup as well as for modders. Also S2games plan to have him added again but as a commander skill making hi able to spawn as maliken on the field for 30 seconds or so.

evilleader
Global Moderator

Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 02:25:14 pm »

And a cooldown for approximately 15 minutes  afro

Gamer and a medical student...
nurizeko
great balls of fire!

Fear my ping!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 03:44:29 pm »

Sounds interesting but too little too late is my guess.

What with the quality bumper crop of games out recently or to come, and Savage 2 in the state it is, its going to have to rely on the Savage 1 community to make any attempt at success, but that would require Savage 2 to actually play like Savage.

gamebroken

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 07:59:13 pm »

He's still available through the console during warmup as well as for modders.

Too bad S2 continued to shit on the few modders they had, they could have had a relatively decent sized modding community.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: