Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 11, 2018, 01:48:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189431 Posts in 10977 Topics by 18158 Members
Latest Member: rerakefo
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Announcements
| |-+  Development News
| | |-+  XR Last pre-1.4 Patch
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: XR Last pre-1.4 Patch  (Read 3553 times)
Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2018, 11:53:38 pm »

Savage XR 1.4 patch is right around the corner, and with it, the introduction of the long lost heroes, Ophelia and Jeraziah. Based on player feedback, there has been given a look towards balancing the gameplay of the new XR additions and tweaking some old time issues like Sac rushes and Chaplain survivability! What everything boils down to is that the new beast tech (Burrow/Enchanted Burrow, Conflux, Guardian) is more suited to race tactics and being used a whole lot more than their human counterparts.

Outposts and Burrows
Magnetic Outposts were mostly used as back entrances inside sealed tech/shield encampments, and not as a special rush spawn point, as the Enchanted Burrow was. Their resilience had to be improved, but doing so without upsetting the hitpoints balance that ALL spawnpoints do, across both races. So the upgraded Outposts shield themselves in addition to other buildings, which makes them worthwhile standalone, front line bases! In slight compensation, because they do not need it, Enchanted Burrows now inflict mild thorn damage when attacked by melee, which stacks up faster the weaker and more frequent the attacks. In order to give a fighting chance to humans having their backdoor burrow'ed, while aiming at keeping values consistent, both the Horde's and the Legion's frontline buildings now have less health in their initial, not upgraded, cut off from the network forms. Their build/upgrade time and costs has been slightly increased, for both stages.

Helpers (Balloons, Mobile spawn points)
You now know where the H minimap icon comes from! Conflux and Transport now cost less gold to produce, as we don't all have Bistro on our team to cover it's previous huge costs. In addition, both have their health increased, but more on the human side, since the Bus was kind of too susceptible to sacs.
The gas filled vehicles, renamed to the obvious Balloon designation, now pack a heftier punch, as succeeding to kill them in melee range will punish anyone within a small radius. Stay safe!

Chaplains
This patch is also a huge come-up for Chaplain players, as their survivability has been increased by making their Cure skill self-healing. The link they establish between themselves and their patients is symbiotic, Chaps being able to heal some of their own damage in the process. In order to be effective in the field, Chaps in pairs should not be that needed anymore. Their potions also give slightly increased ranged (energy) protection and movement speed for human groups, so you'll be even more useful as Chap!

Altars/Caches
You know these Altars and Ammo/Health caches that get dropped by Balloons and Guardians? They act like batteris, giving back their powerup energy cost back to the team when they get destroyed. This is nifty because now you can actually use them without taking away buffs from players, or saving energy for dark times. In addition, they now store a little energy themselves, raising the team pool limits a little, even without the presence of additional tech buildings.

Sacrifice and Firewards
Sacrifice and Firewards have been switched back around, as a lot of positive feedback has been given to this change. This will push Sac rushes viability window a bit later in the game, probably leading to less early rushes and more balanced and thorough matches.

Chaos Bolt
Last but not least Chaos Bolt finally lives up to it's name. It's been given a unique ability which allows it, after making a successful strike, to perpetuate towards four other enemies in range. These new bolts deal less damage and have slower speed than their original shot, but when summed up, they cause an additional 200x damage - if all were to hit their marks.

DETAILED PATCH CHANGES

Let us know what you like about these changes, as any feedback is always hugely appreciated!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:21:52 am by Daemon » Logged

Marbello
Newerth Donator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 10:09:48 am »

now cost less gold to produce, as we don't all have Bistro on our team to cover it's previous huge costs.
Grin Afro

I didn't do the math, but 15% thorn damage from enhanced burrows seems quiet a bit. Looking forward how this will play out.

Thanks for the update!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:12:54 am by Marbello » Logged

More meaning!
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 03:09:55 pm »

now cost less gold to produce, as we don't all have Bistro on our team to cover it's previous huge costs.
Grin Afro

I didn't do the math, but 15% thorn damage from enhanced burrows seems quiet a bit. Looking forward how this will play out.

Thanks for the update!

It's not enough to kill a Lego if it were to leave him melee the burrow to death all by himself. The problem is that elec buffs mess that up, and we've discussed it ingame and we're going to pick the less 'thorny' option of having lvl2 burrows self-heal. We may have to adjust prices too, based on real-life games feedback.

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 10:38:20 pm »

[2018-02-28 XR 1.3.9.2
Enchanted Burrow self-heal and Magnetic Outpost 40% self-shield were removed.
Instead, Magnetic Outpost HP was raised from 15.000 to 18.000. (20% increase)

Necrophiliac

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 05:16:01 pm »

ah, just what this game needed. More ways to get more buffs!
Should make buffs more powerful in my opinion. Definitely not used enough and 100% fair Smiley

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 08:25:18 pm »

It produces ZERO new buffs. It's more like a more complex management option - and a hardly accessible one at that: you'd have to build Conflux/Bus, save up buffs (hard thing to do anyway) and spend it on altars. Having altars/caches raise energy pool limits does not generate buffs faster. Also, you pay the energy cost when you make them, energy otherwise spent on buffs. You just can get it back if you want to. Same amount, not more. Which is lost if buff pool is full, anyway.

Options, flexibility, management, right? Or would you rather just have self-buffers self-buff whenever the buff pool permits just to snatch a frag or 2, simply because they don't want it wasted?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:38:47 pm by Daemon » Logged

Shagroth
no u
Newerth Council
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 10:05:51 pm »

When are some of the new balance changes going to be reverted?

Bus?
chap pot?
summ sprint?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:18:34 pm by Shagroth » Logged

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 10:20:52 pm »

Which ones, exactly, and why?

Shagroth
no u
Newerth Council
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 11:46:59 pm »

Bus + healing pot combination = OP - survives too much. Bus has too much hp on its own.
healing pot + siege = OP - too much regen+anti range dmg.
summ sprint - why are they sprinting? experimental change which is not reset?

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 11:32:08 am »

There's a problem with excluding particular units, like vehicles or siege from such states. Apparently messing with that breaks the entire system. Pot Energy Armor can be rolled back to pre 1.3.9.1. But pot regen was likely never touched.

Bus HP can be lowered, of course, but it seems really at a disadvantage compared to the Conflux (which can use the Guardian for healing). Its defenselessness vs. sacs, its visibility, clumsiness and ease of aiming at, imho, weigh kind of heavily towards comms' not using the Bus as much as Conflux. There should be some tweaking of that, so if there are any suggestions...

TBH i don't know where we are with summ sprint (and balli sprint for that matter!). I don't remember whether we decided to remove one, all or keep them... old age and all. Let's get on it in admin chat.

Thanks for the feedback.

KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 12:16:03 pm »

I think the sac rush nerf, chaplain survivability increase and chaos bolt buff are all much needed, though haven't seen them in action yet. Will be curious to see how chaos bolt spam from full team would look like.

Wonder if Chaplain pot effectiveness being dependent on whether or not target is officer was ever fixed/removed? Pot on officer ballista was indeed very strong, but on non-officer ballista very weak. That was a bit annoying, I'd prefer it if officer was only about communication, not about giving buffs to the players who probably are already the best anyway.

If it's not too much trouble, might be a good idea to mention the updates on Newerth front page, I can't be the only one who occasionally visits it to see if anything new is going on with the game, and deems that there isn't. Is there any public information about what those hero units (?) in 1.4 are?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 12:19:31 pm by KingKong_ » Logged
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 04:07:59 pm »

I assume you mean without starting the game?
KingKong_

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 12:33:30 pm »

I assume you mean without starting the game?

I occasionally visit the front page to see if the server is well populated, but it usually isn't and so I don't launch the game. But I might be more inclined to join a server with 10 people if I knew there's something new to try out.

And once you get someone to launch the game once, they might move to a period of more activity, until again finding some other use for their time. Anyone who's played the game for a decade or two should have noticed this phenomenom. When ever I have one of these "periods of activity" I always notice there are regulars, but who the regulars are changes. There is a "hard core" of players who are around in most of these periods, but a large portion are like me, they occasionally activate and play often, and then won't be seen in months.

On a related note, and I've suggested this before, but cleaning up the forum in an effort to make it appear less dead might help in getting a stray visitor into downloading the game. Removing most of those sticky posts that haven't seen a new message in several years would already help the nuggets of life stand out from the graveyard.

This latter one might take too much work to be worth it, but restructuring the forum to match its current activity by combining most of the sections and condensing the activity to only a couple would also be helpful in this regard. There's 26 different sections of the forum, and only seven have seen activity in the last month. Most haven't seen a new post in years. Cutting off the dead weight would definitely make the forum appear more alive, and might even help it actually be more alive, since it would make new messages both easier and more pleasant to find.

To paraphrase Bilbo, there is butter here, but it's spread over too large a piece of bread.

Perhaps these seem like irrelevant details, but to me this looks similar to the case of a great, well-made Skyrim mod that goes ignored because the description page wasn't on the level of the actual content.

Well that's just how I see things, feel free to ignore if you see things differently, I've said my piece. And will probably say it again in a couple of years because I'm stubborn and forgetful.

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 03:42:19 pm »

Well, if there's something new, it's posted in Development news.
I'd personally have a link stored directly to there to check.
But I see what you mean, people are lazy and would prefer just checking out the main page for literally everything.
We'll try to post more stuff on the main page to accomodate for said portion, it's not a bad idea.

Trigardon cleaned up the forum by a big margin last year already, did you notice? Grin
Doing exatly the things you just said we should.
Tjens
I make maps and stuff
XR Map Administrator
Super Hero Member

GIFMEISTER

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 03:05:01 pm »

Totally agree with you KingKong, even though Trig already did a cleanup earlier this year there's always room for improvement! For instance, merging Bug Reports and Support Forum might be a good idea. "Bug Reports & Support" Thats one down in the lists.

Also, some kind of merge between the Main Page, Development News and Patch Notes might be a good idea. Patch notes should always be on the front page, as they're the most important information for regulars or returning players, which are the target audiences. Right now there are multiple threads on multiple boards, with some information being posted double - effectively dividing  conversations and user attendence.

Main page news and Development News might as well be just one board, development news is always interesting and Main Page worthy!

The webpage pages simply show the topics of 1 board. Nothing more or less. Those pages do not care about child boards!
The thing is in the Patch Notes Webpage all the posts in the patch notes section are listed for eazy front page access. You don't want any miscellaneous posts to show up on this page, so maybe Patch Notes can be a child board under the Main Page so you still have them automatically show up on the main page, and still have the Patch Notes webpage list them aswell? Does anyone know if this would work? Trigardon? (I just noticed Development News also has it's own webpage, so this might be a double whammy if possible)

Another less complicated option would be to simply lock the patch notes thread as a child board under Main Page and Development news, but have the Development News page display Main Page news aswell. This way you'll have to add a seperate post for balance changes and additions and stuff (ea not the back-end stuff), but you'll still have that sweet focussed discussion.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 03:55:14 pm by Tjens » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: