Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2018, 12:04:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Savage: XR is a new patch for Savage, created by the Newerth.com staff. The XR1.1 Client is out now! Download it now!
189255 Posts in 10963 Topics by 18099 Members
Latest Member: TheEliteWarrior
* Home Forum Wiki Help Search Login Register
+  Newerth Forums
|-+  Announcements
| |-+  Development News
| | |-+  How to make sure your client is up to date
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to make sure your client is up to date  (Read 16987 times)
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

beware, for this is the everbroken...

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:51:35 pm »

One month after the public XR 1.0 release and more than two months after the initial pre-release, the testing period for Savage XR 1.0 is over. We would like to thank our testers and players so much for their patience and support!

As time progresses, the moment to sever the ties with the past closes in. At this point, under 5% of all the Savage clients being used are not XR 1.0. Although there are unfortunate exceptions like honest players believing their computers are too old to run anything other than outdated versions, there are those whose choice is not so benign. Many if not most that still use them do so because of the client cheats and hacks only working on those. The countermeasures we could implement in the servers, we did, but there's nothing we can do to prevent those unfair advantages on age-old installs with no auto-updater and crafty cheaters.

Besides the new anti-cheat protection in XR, there are new features which are incompatible with old versions: the new auth server, the new clan commands like inviting, voting and playing mods 'on the fly', the new XR maps with all their props. In fact, the xr_ maps triggered a new kind of exploit: the XR 1.0 props and textures are invisible on older clients even though they CAN play them. The players using them can actually see through them like there was nothing there. It's time we cast them out.

Further development is also hindered by having to maintain retro-compatibility. You have to be a Savage dev to know how many times we felt suicide urges because of the amount of work needed to add the smallest of things without breaking backwards compatibility. As yesterday's patches showed, the updates to the Testing installs, both client and server, which many of you still use, can cause quite some issues.

So, in order to remove the cheaters once and for all and to clear the way for the development of XR 1.1, everyone should switch to public release Savage XR 1.0 Production version, which will only get major updates, and not untested and frequent dev patches. Please read the following instructions carefully:

To find out exactly which version you have, run Savage, pull down console with the tilde key ("~"), type cl_SEPVersion and press Enter. The number you get shows your version:

1005: YOU ARE OK. You have the public release Savage XR 1.0 Production, you need not do anything, except make sure you always start the game with savage.exe and not silverback.exe.

1006: You were an XR 1.0 tester, and still use a Savage XR 1.0 Testing install, used by developers to test new changes through frequent updates that may happen to break it. You can either reinstall the game from the download page or edit 2 files to keep using your current install. To do the latter, find your Savage XR installation folder and edit the "a-u.cfg" file located inside. Just change the value of the "isTesting 1" keyword to "isTesting 0" and your install will become Production. Start Savage, let it update and play.

820-1004: If cl_SEPVersion resulted in anything lower than 1005 or 1006 (like 1003, 1000, 999, 820 etc.) means you have an outdated and unsupported version. You need to reinstall the game by downloading your appropriate client from the download page.

As soon the final preparations are in place, a patch will be uploaded for all servers, clients and OS's installs. That will most likely be tomorrow evening. Among other dev changes, it will break compatibility with outdated clients so please make sure you take care of it by then. Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:33:36 pm by Daemon » Logged

StitcH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:44:05 pm »

As always I'm the one to have an error  Sad

The authentication server Seems to be offline (stats & Clan management will be unavailable).  Cry

when I'm putting my username and password, after I write Appears on the screen:     Undecided

look at the photo That Appears on my screen:

http://s1061.photobucket.com/albums/t475/thalysonpb/?action=view&current=savageerror_zpsa63aca07.jpg

NEED HELP
StitcH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:51:11 pm »

and also just format my computer but still gives the same error  Angry
Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 11:18:38 pm »

I told you not to format! Smiley

It's probably some kind of ISP firewall. Try and use another connection, like mobile phone tethering, and see if it goes through. Or carry your PC over to some friend who uses another ISP than you have Smiley, to check if it works there. Assuming you don't have an antivirus or internet security program blocking Savage.

Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:22:49 am »

NEED HELP
You already made a thread about this.
You even PMed me about it.
I even replied with a potential solution to it.
Your problem is entirely unrelated to this thread.

Could you try what I sent you in the PM, please? Smiley
StitcH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:57:19 am »

I tried but not solved  Angry
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 01:05:07 am »

Then it's looking more and more like a personal problem related to your connection.
StitcH

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 01:09:58 am »

but if I ask for a technician of inthernet to come to my home  to tell you to let the server online authentication? I can play?
Hakugei
XR Coder
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 01:19:37 am »

I can't guarantee that as there are various different problems related to connections.
A housecall can't fix everything.

Also, you can play even without being authenticated; you just can't do clan and stats stuff - as the error message tells you.
StitcH

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 01:21:27 am »

but if I ask for a technician of inthernet to come to my home  to tell you to let the server online authentication? I can play?
Chiprel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 04:47:16 am »

1006: You were an XR 1.0 tester, and still use a Savage 1.0 Testing install. Find your Savage XR installation folder and open/edit the "a-u.cfg" file located inside. Just change the value of the "isTesting 1" keyword to "isTesting 0" and your install will become Production.
Simply editing that doesn't change 1006 to 1005. Can't connect anywhere Tongue

To make testing ver work(1006). Do what Daemon wrote then go to savage/autoupdater/localversion in version.txt change number to 6627. Start savage, let it update and play.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:53:10 am by Chiprel » Logged

Daemon
XR Main Developer
Legendary Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 05:40:14 am »

There should be a patch for that soon but yeah, i'll add this for now, thanks.

Palemki

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 03:02:41 pm »

I got same problem as this guy while i cant connect with auth server. it is strange that on sfe/rc3 have stats and icon, but only not on 1.0  Rolleyes
5*
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 09:40:08 am »

I appreciate the work you guys did.

So I downloaded notepad++ to edit my au.cfg BUT it wont let me save it unfortunately.
Atm I am downloading the new client but I don't really fancy the idea of setting up
my personal preferences all over again. Can I just copy paste my "testing"-configs into the production folder?

If so, which of those configs do I need 2 replace? Can I just replace the "game"-folderl?

Thx for your help & njoy ur day.

5*
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:46:02 am by 5* » Logged
Feathers
beep
NDC Organizer
Super Hero Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 09:57:06 am »

So I downloaded notepad++ to edit my au.cfg BUT it wont let me save it unfortunately.

I Had that problem, I just cut/paste the 2 files required out and put them in My Documents, changed what was needed, then cut/paste back in to the right folders.

Why is wont allow you to modify a file in the Savage folder I don't know.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: